Main Menu

I name thee stupid.

Started by karne, 18 January, 2003, 04:49:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

Names don't bother me that much. I sometimes think they're silly, even bad, but they don't spoil the story for me.

I never quite got how Rogues pals just happened to have the right names for the chip places they were going to go. Then again they have the chip from the start, so I guess it could be argued they were designed for designated places from the get go.

Come to think of it, it's kinda that the trooper who ended up going rogue had that name too innit? Forgetting where his chip would end up I mean.

(This is pure speculation though. My only experience with Rogue has been the computer game, and a couple of small comics, 1 being a the P J Holden gag strip above. I wonder what special services BUTTPLUG gives? Probably best not to think)

WoD

INFLATE AND VIBRATE SOLDIER...AND THAT'S AN ORDER!!

Hoagy

One tiny mix up with Bad Company for me was this;

If Mad Tommy thought he was in the nineteen eighteen war how did he register Dogface and other genetic mutations?
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Cthulouis

Wasn't he just pretending to be mad?

Hoagy

When Tommy revealed his real identity everything fell into shape.

"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

ThryllSeekyr

Skywalker..... as far as I know is also the name of a American Indian Faction or tribe.

So. I think it's pretty cool. Even before then,
I thoughit was cool sounding word and name.

S K Y W A L K E R

WOW!

Now,

Ukko.

From Slaine.

I always thought it sounded weird. I thought it was a nonsence 'made-up' word until I found out it was also the name of a Finnish God of Sky, Weather and Crops.

I wondered if that meaning is suppoosed to be signifianct in the Slaine mythology.

I guess I have to cut abit of slack when words foreign to my normal tongue are concerned.

Now, THYRLLSEEKYR. My chosen pseudynom on thsi messageboard is now rteally feel like the type of name that only felt like a good idea at the particular time I was registering onto this forum.

I have asked people on a earlier occasion if I should change it.

A few said that I should stick with it.

So, I have.

Though I have to admit that it's not a name I would feel comfortable using in public. Outside these messageboards.

My only reason for not changing it is that I would only think of a worse sounding name right now.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukko" target="_blank">UKKO, sounds like a Deity to me, now.

Bolt-01

Crikey- Necropost or what. Cheers Johnny.

Bolt-01

the shutdown man

It always bugs me in comic books when a supervillain conveniently has a name appropriate to their evil profession long before they ever have the life-changing moment that turns them to a life of crime, i.e. Otto Octavius, Edward Nygma, Victor Fries, etc...  It never happens with heroes either. Apparently that would just be too obvious.
You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

Cthulouis

ThryllSeekyr, when I first heard of this guy doing A Level Archaeology I assumed Mr Mills may have picked up the name while doing some of his legendary research:

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Ucko" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Ucko

johnnystress

"Crikey- Necropost or what"

5 years! wow!

I blame the peculiar search facility on this site. I can never find the thread i want.

On topic. Viz did a spoof of kids Horror comics where the creepy old shopkeeper was called Natas Speltbackwards

:)

M.I.K.

Sorry to contradict you, Johnny, but that wasn't in Viz. It was in Oink, (unless Viz used the same name which is unlikely but not impossible).

It was in a story called "The Pop-up Toaster Of Doom".

Peter Wolf

"I blame the peculiar search facility on this site. I can never find the thread i want. "

I find the same thing and the only way to do it seems is to just use a Keyword from the title of the thread [if you can remember it] and search for that instead.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

ThryllSeekyr

You may be right Cthulouis. Though the spelling is not a exact match.

I was toying with the idea that Ukko was really a sky and weather deity who was forced to do pennance by having his memory wiped and then  trapped in the body of a dwarf and forced to become the companion of Slaine.

His name the only legacy to his mysterious past.

Until a certain period of time had passsed where he would be allowed to return to his former glory.

Of course, Pats Mills, along with the rest of you may disagree there.

It's just made up really and perhaps would cause not fit in with some parts of the Slaine story.

johnnystress

"It was in a story called "The Pop-up Toaster Of Doom"."

you're right! my old memory isn't what it used to be

Dark Jimbo

I wouldn't read too much into the 'Ukko' thing, Tyrll, I suspect Mills just nicked the word because it had the right sort of 'sound.'

Tolkein did the same, nicking names from Norse mythology - 'Gandalf' is originally the name of a dwarf, for instance (meaning Wizard-Elf) and 'Gimli' is the name of a roof of one of the Halls that will spring up in the new civilsation after Ragnarok. So they bear no relation to their original useage, just had the sound that Tolkein was looking for.

Having said that, I love your idea of his being a disgraced god doing penance!
@jamesfeistdraws