Main Menu

Phoenix comic

Started by AlexF, 14 April, 2011, 01:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

It's worth noting that The Phoenix is halfway between The Beano and 2000 AD in terms of story structure. So if you buy a one-off issue, you're going to have part X of at least one multi-part story, alongside a bunch of single-shot cartoons (which range from anything up to four pages down to three panels). And sometimes even Bunny vs Monkey has arcs, although you can always enjoy a standalone DPS of that.

I'd never say to not buy The Phoenix, but I would suggest two alternatives instead of buying one-off issues: first, the comic has a trial, where you get [six issues for a quid](https://thephoenixcomic.co.uk). After that point, it's £29.99 per 12 – £2.50 each via direct debit. But I imagine within the first few issues, you'd get a feel for whether your kid's into it or not.

Alternatively, there are quite a few collections available, although they certainly don't cover the full range of what's in the comic. The heavy hitters are anarchic Jamie Smart comic Bunny vs Monkey and action strip Mega Robot Bros. My nipper also enjoyed Georgia and the Edge of the World and Claire: Justice Ninja, along with most of Corpse Talk. (She's also like to see a Fawn collection, but there's no sign of that.)

Probably avoid No Country, though. That's... quite the read. (I bought it for myself during a sale. It's definitely at the upper end of the Phoenix age range.) The ones you've grabbed off of World of Books are good. We have three such books here. They have a solid range of strips.

One other thing: The Phoenix also has its own reading recommendations that cover a range of publishers. That was a good way here to find new books for a while. (Now, mini-IP just blazes through the library and carts a stack of whatever she finds to the scanning machine.)

levers

Thanks for the tips IP.

My daughter loved the two Loshkin collections, but oddly wasn't so keen on Bunny V Monkey.

Also thinking of picking up Evil Emperor Penguin at some point.

paulbyrnewex

I really want to try The Phoenix comic but I have several comic subscriptions at the moment, plus my USA comic pull list. I really like the multi-part stories and single self-contained stories aspect similar to the weekly Le Journal de Spiriou in Europe. I really wish The Beano would have some kind of multi-part stories. 

IndigoPrime

The Beano is an odd one. I find it horribly formulaic and the publisher apparently has no interest in collections. For me, the best thing in there is Betty and the Yeti, but we're never going to see anything beyond the usual Dennis books, bar perhaps a Minnie one.

The Phoenix: maybe try that six issues for a quid offer. See how it clicks for you. After that point, every issue costs less than one US floppy, so you could always swap something out.