Main Menu

The Chefs Of Death Kickstarter Campaign - A New Comic Inspired by Doomlord

Started by BadlyDrawnKano, 06 October, 2023, 12:53:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BadlyDrawnKano

Over the past few months I've been making a photostrip comic as it's something I've always wanted to do, and pleasing it hit it's target in the first 24 hours...

The Chefs Of Death is a brand new photo strip comic inspired by a love for John Wagner and Alan Grant's Doomlord, which appeared in the eighties relaunch of the Eagle and quickly became a firm fan favourite.
It's a slice of sci-fi madness as Zarmdov, the deadliest lifeform in the universe, is sent on a mission to find a new source of sustenance for the people of his planet, and sadly for humanity he finds us absolutely delicious. The only two people who are aware of his arrival on the Earth are journalists Robert Mills and Audrey Pearce, but can they save the entire world from being eaten? And will the normally utterly rubbish Prime Minister John Borrison be of any help at all?

Starring award winning stand up comedian Ian Lane, actors Ben Scheck and Louisa Gosse, along with Chris Denton, Chloe Taylor and Alex Finch, the project has hit it's funding target within 24 hours of being launched, so will definitely be published, but If you're interested in buying the comic (or appearing in it, as some of the rewards provide that option), please check out the Kickstarter campaign here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/alexfinch/the-chefs-of-death-issue-1

Colin YNWA

Hawkmumbler

B-but, will he actually get to go to Butlins this time?!

Consider it backed.

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

I'm sure this will be fantastic, and have backed it.

Don't let us down, BDK!

BadlyDrawnKano

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 06 October, 2023, 02:09:50 PMSo very backed. Amazing stuff!

Thank you very much, that means an awful lot, and it's hugely appreciated.

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 06 October, 2023, 06:54:24 PMB-but, will he actually get to go to Butlins this time?!

Consider it backed.

Heh, I'll save that for the sequel! But thank you for backing it, I'm very, very grateful.

Quote from: Jimmy Baker's Assistant on 06 October, 2023, 07:51:27 PMI'm sure this will be fantastic, and have backed it.

Don't let us down, BDK!

Thank you so much as well, and I'll do my best not to!

BadlyDrawnKano

I just thought I'd post a little more about the comic as we're very close to the end of the campaign now.

Once again I really can't thank everyone enough for backing the project, it's been the culmination of a dream that I've had for about forty years, ever since the Eagle comic was relaunched in 1982 and I was introduced to the human hating Doomlord!

To be honest the project has been a little more complex than I first imagined, after finishing writing, self-publishing and promoting my novel last year back in January I decided I wanted to write something which would be much, much simpler, and that was definitely the case when writing the script, which was really fun even if during the second draft I had to cut a few scenes as I realised they'd be too difficult to pull off - and that's why sadly Zarmdoff never got the chance to go the Walthamstow swimming pool and terrify a whole bunch of children!

The three days of photography were very enjoyable too (though if I get to do this again I'll try not to choose the hottest days of the year for the photo shoots!), and I can't thank my amazing cast enough, Ian Lane, Chloë Taylor, Chris Denton, Ben Scheck and numerous others were incredibly kind to give up their time, and even kinder when I asked them to do some really quite mad things, especially when we were in Central London hanging around at Downing Street!

I have to admit that editing together the comic was a far bigger job that I originally realised it would be, as I had to do a lot of photoshopping to match pictures that had been taken in June with those taken in September. But it could have been far more complex if I'd had to letter the comic as well, so I can't thank Bhuna for coming on board in the last couple of months and his lettering (and help in general) have all led to it looking really awesome, and I'm very, very proud of the finished product.

Of course the main thing is that we've all done this in the hope of raising money for Cancer Research, and right now we've made it up to £450 (though due to Kickstarter fees / publishing costs I can't give an exact amount) but I really hope in this final week the project gets a second wind and we get to donate even more than that to the charity.

So on that front I thought I'd post the first five pages from the beginning of the comic below, which I hope folks will like the look of, and if you do wish to back the comic, you can do so by clicking here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/alexfinch/the-chefs-of-death-issue-1

JohnW

Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Fortnight

I saw this on downthetubes a while ago and it was an instant back. It's a shame that the higher pledges are all need-a-photo ones otherwise I'd have gone for one of those. I don't really want to see my ugly mug peering out at me when I read it, and neither I suspect, does anyone else.

As it was I just went for a lower one with a bit of bonus extra support.

I did briefly consider going for a photo one and sending in photos of me wearing my Doomlord mask, but I thought that might be taking a joke too far and be too much like time wasting :)
Also, the mask smells weird.
Would be cool though to see a sneaky image of Doomlord as one of the victims of Zarmdov :D

BadlyDrawnKano

Thank you all for the kind words, it's enormously appreciated, we're just at the £700 mark now with a few hours to go, and I can't thank everyone who has backed it enough, it's extremely kind of you all and I really hope you enjoy the finished product.

Quote from: Fortnight on 23 November, 2023, 03:47:42 AMI saw this on downthetubes a while ago and it was an instant back. It's a shame that the higher pledges are all need-a-photo ones otherwise I'd have gone for one of those. I don't really want to see my ugly mug peering out at me when I read it, and neither I suspect, does anyone else.

As it was I just went for a lower one with a bit of bonus extra support.

I did briefly consider going for a photo one and sending in photos of me wearing my Doomlord mask, but I thought that might be taking a joke too far and be too much like time wasting :)
Would be cool though to see a sneaky image of Doomlord as one of the victims of Zarmdov :D

I think the Doomlord mask idea would have been fantastic, though I'm not sure where we'd stand copyright wise on that front, though I guess if you own the mask it would have been okay to include it (plus it would be a bit mean of the Dan Dare Corporation to take legal action given that all profits are going to Cancer Research).

This is the first Kickstarter I've ever run and I struggled a bit with the rewards, but if I ever do it again (and I do have an idea for a very, very different photo story that I'd like to put together) I'll try and make them a bit more varied and include some which aren't photo based.

M.I.K.

Quote from: BadlyDrawnKano on 24 November, 2023, 03:46:46 PMI think the Doomlord mask idea would have been fantastic, though I'm not sure where we'd stand copyright wise on that front, though I guess if you own the mask it would have been okay to include it (plus it would be a bit mean of the Dan Dare Corporation to take legal action given that all profits are going to Cancer Research).

Seeing as how the mask was originally bought "off the shelf" and not specifically made for the Eagle story, I don't think the Dan Dare Corporation would really be in a position to do anything about it.

BadlyDrawnKano

Quote from: M.I.K. on 24 November, 2023, 04:48:55 PM
Quote from: BadlyDrawnKano on 24 November, 2023, 03:46:46 PMI think the Doomlord mask idea would have been fantastic, though I'm not sure where we'd stand copyright wise on that front, though I guess if you own the mask it would have been okay to include it (plus it would be a bit mean of the Dan Dare Corporation to take legal action given that all profits are going to Cancer Research).

Seeing as how the mask was originally bought "off the shelf" and not specifically made for the Eagle story, I don't think the Dan Dare Corporation would really be in a position to do anything about it.

Oh wow, I never knew that, if I ever come in to a decent sum of money I might have to try and track one down!

Fortnight

Worth considering that the Dan Dare Corporation might have ownership of Doomlord as IP in addition to the printed material/licensing. So whilst they won't have any ownership of the photographic representation of the mask, costume, hands or ring, they might have it of the name.

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Quote from: Fortnight on 23 November, 2023, 03:47:42 AMI did briefly consider going for a photo one and sending in photos of me wearing my Doomlord mask, but I thought that might be taking a joke too far and be too much like time wasting :)

I just want to say that this needs to happen. @BadlyDrawnKano you and @Fortnight need to get together and arrange for the Doomlord cameo right now. Or sooner, preferably.

M.I.K.

Quote from: Fortnight on 24 November, 2023, 07:47:24 PMWorth considering that the Dan Dare Corporation might have ownership of Doomlord as IP in addition to the printed material/licensing. So whilst they won't have any ownership of the photographic representation of the mask, costume, hands or ring, they might have it of the name.

Yep. I was only referring to his fizzog. Using the mask in conjunction with the name would almost certainly cause a bit more of a problem.