Main Menu

TimeQuake from Hibernia out now!

Started by maryanddavid, 14 November, 2023, 09:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maryanddavid

Hey all, I reckon there will be some here interested in this.....

Hibernia Comics are back with the fifth in the Fleetway Files collection, TimeQuake!  Reprinted Starlord and 2000 AD TimeQuake is only available to buy here- https://www.comicsy.co.uk/hibernia/ also there 20% off our Sergeant Storng and Captain Condor collection for 48 hours!

"TIME TRAVEL! IT'S FLAMIN' IMPOSSIBLE!

Before the agents of Indigo Prime and Loki's Time Variance Authority there was TimeQuake! Time-Control patrol the timelines to keep reality safe from time-quakes: devastating changes to the structure of time caused by threats ranging from alien incursions to Nazi meddling and techno-Aztec attacks. Time-Control recruit unsuspecting 1970s hard man, James Blocker, to join their fight against the murderous alien Droon and Blocker's no-nonsense East End attitude soon makes him an indispensable, albeit reluctant, member of the Time-Control team. Together with 32nd Century princess Suzi Cho, the Aztec Quexalcholmec and Time-Control chief Harl Vinda, Blocker must help keep the timelines safe and on the right track!

Written by Chris Lowder (Adam Eterno, Victor Drago) and boasting the artistic talents of Ian Kennedy, John Cooper, Alberto Salinas and Jesús Redondo, this time-bending tale is one of the highlights of short-lived 2000 AD stablemate, Starlord.

The artwork has been restored to match its original publication, this is the first time TimeQuake has been collected in any format, in this limited print run of just 300 copies.

This volume presents all of the weekly adventures of this classic from the pages of Starlord and 2000 AD. Don't find yourself stuck in the past, jump onboard with TimeQuake now!"

A4 PERFECT BOUND

108 PAGES, INCLUDING ALL COLOUR PAGES AND CENTRESPREADS AND A COVER GALLERY.

Only available to buy here- https://www.comicsy.co.uk/hibernia/

Colin YNWA

Literally just got my order in and came over to tell folks. Looks like another winner!

Richard

I can't remember the stories but the art is great. Very surprised it's only 100 pages, thought there was more. Definitely worth checking out.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Richard on 14 November, 2023, 09:55:53 PMI can't remember the stories but the art is great. Very surprised it's only 100 pages, thought there was more. Definitely worth checking out.

I count 108.5, if you include the Annual offerings.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

rogue69

Does it include the 3 annual & one Summer special stories?

even if it doesn't i'm still going to buy it

Blue Cactus

Curious about this one. Can anyone suggest any 2000ad series that are similar in a kind of 'if you liked X you'll like Timequake' kind of way?

Funt Solo

...it's got Chrono-Cops.

Quote from: Blue Cactus on 15 November, 2023, 10:51:46 AMCurious about this one. Can anyone suggest any 2000ad series that are similar in a kind of 'if you liked X you'll like Timequake' kind of way?

It would be more "if you liked Space 1999 you'll like Timequake" - but that doesn't really get there. Or "if you liked Wolfie Smith", but that's not it either. It's as daft as Return to Armageddon, but not as good. It's as bad as Colony Earth or Death Planet, but not really that either. It's *just* possible that David Icke read it, then got hit on the head, then recovered next to a neo-Nazi in hospital - and that's his origin story.

I tried to review it once, but all I got to was this: "Time cops stop time-quakes (i.e. mess-ups in the past ruining the future)." But, y'know, if that's your bag then you should buy The Complete Alan Moore Future Shocks, because...
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Tjm86

Quote from: Blue Cactus on 15 November, 2023, 10:51:46 AMCurious about this one. Can anyone suggest any 2000ad series that are similar in a kind of 'if you liked X you'll like Timequake' kind of way?

TBH, I'd have to say no.  And this is as a Timequake fan from back in the day (as an original reader and owner of that complete run).

For Kennedy's artwork you could go with Ro-Busters (partially) or the 1982 Dan Dare (Return of the Mekon).  As for scripting, to be fair nothing comes close.  There are plenty of alternative earth storylines in places.  Warren Ellis' Stormwatch stuff, Luther Arkwright, elements of Nemesis.  Overall though, nope.

I'm going to challenge Funt on his characterisation of Death Planet though.  No, it's not as bad.  That said, you have to review those stories as a 7 / 8 year old of the time.  When Sci Fi was virtually non-existent and Tooth was an absolute revelation.  When the first Star Wars movie didn't just blow your mind but that of the entire nation!  Okay, yes, Death Planet is crap by today's standards but have you seen the most recent Star Wars film? 

Blue Cactus

Thanks both. Needless to say Hibernia's collections are always beautifully put together and it's great they're able to put this stuff out. Some releases are a bit before my time so I don't quite have the nostalgia factor or the storytelling is a little old school. I say this as someone who has been reading the prog since about 1986! Interesting to hear your thoughts, ta.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Tjm86 on 15 November, 2023, 08:36:11 PMI'm going to challenge Funt on his characterisation of Death Planet though.  No, it's not as bad.  That said, you have to review those stories as a 7 / 8 year old of the time.  When Sci Fi was virtually non-existent and Tooth was an absolute revelation.  When the first Star Wars movie didn't just blow your mind but that of the entire nation!  Okay, yes, Death Planet is crap by today's standards but have you seen the most recent Star Wars film? 

I can't believe my future, grumpy self managed to temporally post before me on this one!

I got a real kick out of the small amount of TimeQuake I read in the prog in 1980 - and it wasn't even all four episodes of Mother Eternal that I got, because my prog-reading at the time was disparate. Anyway - the idea of Blocker up against time travel trouble shenanigans spoke to an obviously missing back story, and felt (like the rest of the prog at the time) just brilliant to read. When the cameo popped up in prog 2350 (starring Michael Landon from Little House on the Prairie as Blocker) it was a real kick. Of all the stories in that prog, and despite GRumpie suggesting it was repetitive tosh*, I'd love more of that - purely on the basis of it being fun to read.

As for Death Planet - I'm also being unfair because I've never encountered it fresh or at the recommended age. It's like hating Jar Jar when you're not seven. As always, take my salty wittering with plenty ... salt.

*I'm being cheeky - he only said that about his own work, not Weston's.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Tjm86

TBH I can appreciate that, Funt.  Death Planet definitely benefits from nostalgia for me.  In fact a lot of the StarLord strips do.  Once you get away from Stront and Ro-Busters, there are a lot of strips that really only benefit from reliving distant youth.  The same holds for early Tooth strips at times as well.  Ant Wars is incredibly corny and the same can be said for early Dredd at times.

As for taking wittering with salt, well, let's be fair, most of us have that dry sardonic wit that frequently goes over people's heads.  Admittedly Jim's is as dry as the Sahara ...  ::)