Main Menu

Pirate Comic Suggestions?

Started by Barrington Boots, 16 November, 2023, 12:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrington Boots

Wise forum users, can anyone suggest a good comic series about pirates? Can have fantastical elements but not super hero or space themed, and not manga.

I know of Red Seas obviously, Cinebooks Barracuda series & Neil Camerons Pirates of Pangea but beyond that everything I can find seems to be either secifically aimed at children, or manga - neither of which are suitable.

Cheers, me hearties!
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Colin YNWA

There's a couple of other Cinebook series. Long John Silver which is a really good 4 part and done series. and Redbeard which I've not read yet but plan to as its on my list (I LOVE pirate comics but there just aren't enough good ones).

Terry and the Pirates by Milton Caniff's is the classic but to my shame I've never read it.

There was also a Blackbeard comic from Dynamite. Now I always give new series 3 issues at least to get going, to settle in... this got 2 before it was dropped! So I'd say avoid!

sheridan

Pop over to the Watchmen universe - the presence of masked viligantes led to pirate comics, not superhero comics, being the primary genre in their version of the USA.

Hope that helps ;-)

Barrington Boots

Quote from: sheridan on 16 November, 2023, 12:19:18 PMPop over to the Watchmen universe - the presence of masked viligantes led to pirate comics, not superhero comics, being the primary genre in their version of the USA.

Ha! Yes, I am in the wrong universe as I far prefer pirates over superheroes although TfBF isn't half overworked even for an allegory, so perhaps I am dodging a bullet being in this timestream.

Good suggestions Colin, thank you!

Colin YNWA

You could also stretch the definition and go Corto Maltese, but its not really that at all... I mean everyone should read them but abusing the definition of pirate comic to achieve that might not be the way to go?

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Funt Solo

For pirate comics there's always the dark web.

I'll get my coat.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Proudhuff

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 16 November, 2023, 12:12:30 PMThere's a couple of other Cinebook series. Long John Silver which is a really good 4 part and done series.

Seconded :thumbsup:
DDT did a job on me

Vector14

It seems like pirate comics arent so popular yet the highest selling comic ever, One Piece, is a pirate comic. It's sold half a billion copies!

Edit: I've just noticed your no manga caveat :)
Which I understand as I have no interest in reading one piece either.

Barrington Boots

Cheers all. Cinebooks seems to be the way to go!

Link Prime

Quote from: Vector14 on 18 November, 2023, 10:45:19 PMWhich I understand as I have no interest in reading one piece either.

Tried it a while ago myself (collection of the first three Tankōbon volumes) - just didn't click at all.

There was a pretty decent Image pirates-n-horror series called 'Sea of Red' out years ago, written by Rick Remender .
From the days when I had more pull-list than disposable cash, so I never read more than the first couple of issues.
Liked it though.

kiwijohn

I'll happily add to the recommendation for Cinebooks' Long John Silver.
The only other pirate series I can think of is this one:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Cazador_(comics)

Barrington Boots

What a shame about El Cazador - that looked interesting.

I've gone for Long John Silver here. Pirate comics are infuriatingly hard to find given how fertile you'd think it would be as a setting to tell stories and create characters.

Hawkmumbler

ONE PIE-cock and balls.

I would say I'll convert the globe someday to understanding Oda's genius but yeah...those sales numbers don't lie, folks already know.

Another vote for Cinebooks Long John Silver, it's not going to set the world alight but it's a good time and mighty purdy, yes sir.

O Lucky Stevie!

"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"