Main Menu

Marvel's Star Wars Comic to relaunch in 2020 with a new #1

Started by karlos, 25 October, 2019, 09:30:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlos

https://uk.ign.com/articles/2019/10/04/marvel-comics-relaunches-star-wars-series-set-after-empire-strikes-back-nycc-2019

I'm guessing a lot of you read this?

It's been a lot of fun, and this looks set to be the same.

Alas (and obviously), no Han, but now with more Lando.

TordelBack

From reading this promo, I wonder if they are going to revise the traditional 6 month duration given for the gap between V and VI. 

To be honest it already seemed a bit implausible that Han's rescue took *that* long, even allowing for Shadows of the Empire-style distractions: there really isn't much to do, beyond Lando getting a job at Jabba's palace.  Lando's status in the Alliance is explicitly addressed in RotJ (a rep as as pilot,  a famous military action at Tanaab, combined with being a successful civic/industrial adminstrator - almost everyone in the Rebellion of necessity has a rank based on prior experience,  rather than working their way up),  and all Luke needs to do is build a new lightsabre and buy a black ensemble -  he clearly *hasn't* got his shit together, and hasn't even found time to go back to Yoda to get some rather critical answers.

That said,  it looks pretty.  And maybe,  just maybe, we'll get the story of how an enterprising ugnaught retrieved that lightsabre from a vent and flogged it to Maz. 'Cos I'm sure JJ isn't planning on telling us.

karlos

It will certainly be interesting to see how they get 75+ issues out of the gap, for sure.

I still think they should've called this run Star Wars: Empire or something, rather than just start again at #1.

And yes, it really does looks pretty.  One thing Marvel have always got right with their various SW titles: they've used only top notch artists.

TordelBack

I suppose they avoided the obvious because there was the Dark Horse comic Star Wars: Empire, along with the contemporary Knights of the Old Republic from the other J. J. (Miller), one of the very best runs of SW comicking to date. 

karlos

Very good point.

Loved the Dark Horse SW titles, mostly (there were a LOT, of course).

KoTOR was great, yes.

The latter years of the Dark Horse era were mostly good - I'll always love John Ostrander's Legacy and Agent of the Empire.

TordelBack

Legacy lost its way a bit after a strong start, and Cade's cybergrunge badboy stylings were a bit off,  but the designs and some of the concepts were amazing, and  it's still a lot closer to the direction I'd have liked to see the Sequels go then what we got.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: karlos on 25 October, 2019, 03:42:08 PM
I'll always love John Ostrander's Legacy and Agent of the Empire.

I haven't read these specific stories, but I've read a fair bit of Ostrander over the years and he's always struck me as the closest thing the US industry has to Wagner. Absolutely rock-solid no-bullshit storytelling as the baseline but frequently capable of hitting heights that pull you up sharply because you've been so expertly wrong-footed.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

karlos

You are absolutely correct, Jim. Ostrander is phenomenal. I've read almost everything he's done and there are no duds to be found at all.

His masterpiece is Grimjack - I recommend it unreservedly.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: karlos on 26 October, 2019, 10:07:34 AM
His masterpiece is Grimjack - I recommend it unreservedly.

Twice. Its a great strip and of course JD appears in it - all be it very very briefly.

karlos

Looks like Marvel are going to be banging them out:

https://www.starwars.com/news/marvel-bounty-hunters

To be fair, a Boba Fett monthly is a no-brainer, I guess.

sheridan

Quote from: TordelBack on 25 October, 2019, 09:58:23 AM
From reading this promo, I wonder if they are going to revise the traditional 6 month duration given for the gap between V and VI. 

To be honest it already seemed a bit implausible that Han's rescue took *that* long, even allowing for Shadows of the Empire-style distractions: there really isn't much to do, beyond Lando getting a job at Jabba's palace.  Lando's status in the Alliance is explicitly addressed in RotJ (a rep as as pilot,  a famous military action at Tanaab, combined with being a successful civic/industrial adminstrator - almost everyone in the Rebellion of necessity has a rank based on prior experience,  rather than working their way up),  and all Luke needs to do is build a new lightsabre and buy a black ensemble -  he clearly *hasn't* got his shit together, and hasn't even found time to go back to Yoda to get some rather critical answers.

That said,  it looks pretty.  And maybe,  just maybe, we'll get the story of how an enterprising ugnaught retrieved that lightsabre from a vent and flogged it to Maz. 'Cos I'm sure JJ isn't planning on telling us.

To be fair - I moved home last year and there's still boxes of books I've not gone through.  That's more than six months :)

JamesC

I started off collecting Marvel's Star Wars stuff but there was just so much of it I couldn't keep up.

Actually, I was thinking of getting rid of it as I probably won't read it again. If anyone wants to buy (for mates rates) anything from the first couple of years (I have Star Wars up to issue 50, all of the Darth Vader thing etc) chances are I have it.