Main Menu

Castle Rock!

Started by NapalmKev, 18 February, 2017, 06:57:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NapalmKev

New TV series collaboration from Stephen King and JJ Abrams. There's a small article on Rolling Stone, and a short teaser video showing a few character names and some of the more famous locations from King's books.

From the small amount of info on offer I'm thinking this will go down the Penny Dreadful/Gotham route of taking various characters and plots and mashing them together.

I'm a big fan of King's work, not so much Abrams, but I'll certainly give it a look when it comes out.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Bolt-01

dweezil2

(German accent) Very interesting..........
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Heath C Ackley

As a life long King fan, I'm looking forward to this.
"Give a man a mask and he will give you the truth."

Frank

Quote from: NapalmKev on 18 February, 2017, 06:57:28 AM
... I'm thinking this will go down the Penny Dreadful/Gotham route of taking various characters and plots and mashing them together.

Robert Altman's Short Cuts and Clash Of The Titans are the earliest live action examples of this approach I can think of. They're more literal versions of what wearers of fancy pants call intertextuality.

It's seeped into broader pop culture, probably due to the success of the Marvel Cinematic Universe and Alan Moore's plundering of out-of-copyright properties with The Lost Girls/The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

TV series like The Mary Tyler Moore Show created new characters who shared a universe; Defenders Of The Earth acted as a clearing house for preexisting characters with a shared owner; but Bud Abbott provides the first example (I can think of) where lapsed copyright mashed together characters from discreet works in a shared Univers(al).

The earliest literary examples are The Torah and its sequels/soft reboots, The New Testament and The Qu'ran. They're sort of theological versions of Watchmen, reimagining preexisting Charlton heroes, like Beelzebub and Mithras, as more morally ambivalent characters interacting in a shared fictional universe. Like Watchmen, the Creators no longer speak.