Main Menu

Links to film reviews and reaction posts

Started by a chosen rider, 12 July, 2012, 11:37:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

Smaller films are less likely to be pirated in the first place, especially arthouse flicks.  Not everything is torrented.

JOE SOAP

All in proportion, smaller art house flicks would have a smaller audience but one torrent could equal 20 for the Avengers.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 22 December, 2012, 05:34:59 PM
I wish they did, charging €17 for HDfilms that aren't even HD quality - only 3-4GB/DVD quality - is criminal. Under-charging and over-charging with the same hand on different products, sneaky fucks.

Sorry, I clearly didn't phrase that point clearly enough, or you missed the first part of that sentence where I specifically referred to the music industry. The film and TV industries have decided that the cheap/easy part of digital distribution that has worked so well for music would be catastrophic for them, so they choose to set restrictions on distribution, quality and price on downloads that compare unfavourably to physical DVD and Blu-ray, whilst simultaneously trying to make it impossible to repurpose the content on those physical disks.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Noisybast

This any good to you, Jim? I've used the PC version in the past and it's done the trick nicely.

http://www.aimersoft.com/how-to-backup/dvd43-for-mac.html

Goes without saying, I'm with Jim on this one. I have an enormous collection of CDs, which I have ripped to MP3 for streaming/portability purposes. I have paid for every single album, single and EP and continue to do so. It's cost me a bloody fortune over the years, but I do love my music.

How nice it would be to be able to do the same with my comparatively meagre movie collection. I more or less have it sorted now, but it's been a massive faff and it took me bloody ages and a *lot* of head-scratching.
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Noisybast on 23 December, 2012, 12:29:21 PM
This any good to you, Jim? I've used the PC version in the past and it's done the trick nicely.

Thanks -- I have two different DVD-rippers which normally do the trick. However, every once in a while, one of the big film companies will update their copy-protection encryption and it takes the rippers a while to catch up. In the meantime, I have absolutely no qualms about torrenting the damn thing!

Cheers

Jim

Noisybast

Actually, ignore that link, Jim. On reading the page more closely, it's not what I thought it was. DVD43 is the software I used. Looks like this is an "alternative", rather than a straight Mac port. May well be crap, for all I know.

Noisybast

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 23 December, 2012, 12:31:54 PM
Quote from: Noisybast on 23 December, 2012, 12:29:21 PM

Thanks -- I have two different DVD-rippers which normally do the trick. However, every once in a while, one of the big film companies will update their copy-protection encryption and it takes the rippers a while to catch up. In the meantime, I have absolutely no qualms about torrenting the damn thing!

Cheers

Jim

DVD43 isn't a ripper per se.  It's an app that runs in the background and quietly decrypts your DVD/Blu-Ray while you get on with watching/ripping it. Removes region locking, too.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Noisybast on 23 December, 2012, 12:37:42 PM
DVD43 isn't a ripper per se.  It's an app that runs in the background and quietly decrypts your DVD/Blu-Ray while you get on with watching/ripping it. Removes region locking, too.

Aha. Interrresting...! I shall have a proper look.

Cheers

Jim

dweezil2

Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

IndigoPrime

On the ripping thing, it's probably worth noting that in the UK, you have zero legal right regarding format-shifting. It's actually not legal to rip a CD to MP3s unless you have the express permission of the copyright holder. The good news is that Vince Cable's recent announcement regarding updating British copyright law (flying in the face of some pretty extreme lobbying from the usual suspects in the entertainment sector) will make personal ripping legal and might even make it illegal for companies to restrict the practice (rather like the 1988 copyright act did for software).

DKCX

High Quality Blu-ray retail copy rip released on Christmas day.

DKCX

I will definately buy a copy to support the movie despite the rip being released.

Michaelvk

From my side of things.. We worked pretty hard to get this movie on the screen, and then to see it not do well in the theatres and then see it pop up on torrents leaves a bit of a bitter taste.I know that this day and age it's pretty much expected and there's not much you can do about it, but one doesn't have to like it. It can be argued that some will eventually buy the dvd/bluray, but in reality, most won't..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

JOE SOAP

The IMDB user-counter has been jumping a few thousand every-day for Dredd in the last week so that's a lot of downloads with both good and bad consequences.

MR. ELIMINATOR

Score looks to be slipping which is a shame. I was expecting it to go up.