Main Menu

What happen to the new dredd movie ?

Started by Disate, 21 August, 2009, 06:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

when is the new movie going into production  ?

?
6 (26.1%)
??
17 (73.9%)

Total Members Voted: 23

planetoid

QuoteFor 'real' MC-1 locations, I've always fancied Futuroscope, near Poitiers, France.

I think London Docklands could work because the buildings look like blocks, their design is the classic long block shape so it should help to convince the viewer it's Mega-City 1.

QuoteThis was done at Dublin's Civic Offices for the movie Space Truckers.  It was awful.

With the advance in CGI it must be easier to film in real locations, modify them a bit in post-production, and make them look more convincing but if it's badly done people will go "hey, this MC-1 looks like London Docklands."  ;)

If we consider the budget to be the biggest hurdle to ovecome - how much money would you need to make a convincing Dredd film? - any practical way reduce the cost but still maintain the scale of MC-1 must be advantageous.

Just my opinion - if you could shoot some of the film in real locations with actors actually on streets with London dockland buildings doubling for big MC-1 blocks, I'd prefer that to greenscreen actors put in front of CGI blocks or scaled miniatures. You could still add CGI to the backdrops, you could have a combination of real exteriors and CGI exteriors. But if you could shoot medium to close shots with real buildings in the background this would reduce the budget because you wouldn't need to build the sets or CGI them.

TordelBack

When you think of how TV shows like Stargate and BSG handle urban locations (filters and tech company campuses, mainly), I think it'd be quite a trick to pull off convincingly, assuming a relatively low budget.   It'll be interesting to see how the Star Wars TV show works - Lucas' largely 'digitally extended' partial sets and soundstages really didn't work for me in the Prequels, and even those required huge building costs.  OTOH fully digital or model-based locations like wideshots of Coruscant and Mustafar were great.  Obviously Dredd can make use of real locations more easily, but I can't help thinking that all-digital is the way to go for anything beyond standing sets.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: planetoid on 03 September, 2009, 11:12:14 AM

I think London Docklands could work because the buildings look like blocks, their design is the classic long block shape so it should help to convince the viewer it's Mega-City 1.

Except, of course, that the buildings in Docklands don't look anything like MC-1 cityblocks, which is a bit of a disadvantage.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Mike Gloady

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 03 September, 2009, 11:28:25 AM
Except, of course, that the buildings in Docklands don't look anything like MC-1 cityblocks, which is a bit of a disadvantage.

Cheers

Jim
Precisely.  That's because NOTHING does.  You can maybe get a few locations from real-life (city bottom etc), but if the city on the screen is going ot bear any resemblance to the "real" MC1 I see each week in my prog there's going to have to be some special effect wizardry going on.  Which requires money to be thrown at the screen with gay abandon. 
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

planetoid

Mega-City 1:

Notice the shape of most of the tower blocks in the above image - long rectangular shape.

Notice the shape of the buildings in the above photo of London Docklands - long rectangular shape.

QuoteExcept, of course, that the buildings in Docklands don't look anything like MC-1 cityblocks, which is a bit of a disadvantage.

I think the two images prove you're incorrect. Both images have similar designed buildings. Anyone with a basic understanding of Mega-City 1 would know London Docklands has buildings similar in design, but hey, if you lot wanna argue it doesn't, go ahead.  ::) I sometimes forget internet forums are places for people to argue white is black and vice versa.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: planetoid on 03 September, 2009, 11:55:37 AM

I think the two images prove you're incorrect. Both images have similar designed buildings. Anyone with a basic understanding of Mega-City 1 would know London Docklands has buildings similar in design, but hey, if you lot wanna argue it doesn't, go ahead.  ::) I sometimes forget internet forums are places for people to argue white is black and vice versa.

You cite Ron Smith -- a classic Judge Dredd artist, to be sure -- but who was always a feckin' mile off-model in his depiction of MC-1 ... go read D'israeli's superb piece on Mega City architecture and you'll see just how at odds Ron's MC-1 is with just about everyone else's ...

Cheers!

Jim

Mike Gloady

TordelBack

Planetoid, I don't think anyone is arguing for argument's sake - this is a discussion on a topic of mutual interest.  If Kubrick can use Docklands for Vietnam in Full Metal Jacket, it's reasonable to explore how they could be MC-1.  Elsewhere in London Lloyd's appeared in early Ezquerra Photoshoppery, and the GLC building is so McMahon it practically has large boots.  However, Ron Smith's super poster, and for that matter much of Bolland's MC-1, are a minority and IMHO rather boring view of the city.  Personally I want to see Cam Kennedy's MC-1, and no city on earth is going to oblige me.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: TordelBack on 03 September, 2009, 01:23:42 PM
and no city on earth is going to oblige me.

For me that's the point. Mega City 1 shouldn't be like any city on Earth as at its heart is radically different to any city that currently exists. Its bigger, more choatic, more random and the structures and citizen's crazier.

When represented best it feels thrown together which in a sense it has been. It came about as people flocked together for protection after a war deverstated America and hence its evolved out of necessity rather than grow and developed as a normal city might or at a normal rate.

I've always considered it a giant shanty town, sure it got bigger, better buildings but when boiled down its still people and their environments and infrastructure are thrown together and its slowly organising itself over time.

The Judges almost reflect this. At first they were there out of necessity. A strict order was required to cope with the choas that was all around them. As the world comes back to order there are changes and democracy and more liberal views are slowly coming to the fore but the events that created the city and its systems were so dramatic and the upheaval so great that the change towards anything approaching political life as we know it is going to take a long long time, if its ever achieved or indeed desired. I think the city should reflect this.

Wow that was a bit of a stream of consiousness!

TordelBack

QuoteI've always considered it a giant shanty town, sure it got bigger, better buildings but when boiled down its still people and their environments and infrastructure are thrown together and its slowly organising itself over time

Well put, Colin.  In fact when you think about it's far more like a European city than an American one, which is as it should be.

planetoid

QuotePlanetoid, I don't think anyone is arguing for argument's sake - this is a discussion on a topic of mutual interest.  

I found Jim's comment trite and sarcastic:

QuoteExcept, of course, that the buildings in Docklands don't look anything like MC-1 cityblocks, which is a bit of a disadvantage.

I don't know if he was being sarcastic, it's hard to know over the net, but my impression was it was a sarcastic comment and not adding anything to the discussion. Mega-City 1 is made up of different shaped buildings, some are rectangular, some are domed but if a location in London looks a bit Mega-City 1(ish) then it makes a degree of sense to consider it as a filming location. That was my point and I don't believe Jim's comment - be it sarcasm or not - adds anything to the debate. If fans are gonna moan if the block have rectangular shaped roof rather than domed ones, then yes, perhaps Dockland wouldn't double for MC-1 but I'm sure the average movie goer wouldn't give a damn what the block looked like as long as the city looks huge and futuristic.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: planetoid on 03 September, 2009, 10:54:47 PM

That was my point and I don't believe Jim's comment - be it sarcasm or not - adds anything to the debate.

Have you read D'israeli's piece on Mega-City architecture, as I suggested?

I've pointed you towards ample illustration of why Ron Smith's rendition of MC-1 is largely at odds with the broader artistic consensus on the look of the city. You've picked one singular artist whose depiction of the City admittedly supports your point, but whose style very much differs from the 'classic' vision of MC-1.

You're not above a glib or dismissive comment yourself, I notice:

QuoteAnyone with a basic understanding of Mega-City 1 would know London Docklands has buildings similar in design

I haven't dismissed your point of view, I've disagreed with it, and offered evidence to support my position, which is the very definition of debate, I would suggest.

Cheers

Jim

planetoid

QuoteI've pointed you towards ample illustration of why Ron Smith's rendition of MC-1 is largely at odds with the broader artistic consensus on the look of the city. You've picked one singular artist whose depiction of the City admittedly supports your point, but whose style very much differs from the 'classic' vision of MC-1.

Okay, it wasn't sarcasm on your part, but it felt like you were splitting hairs just for the sake of it.  ;) Each artist interprets MC-1 differently in the same way each artist draws a slightly different looking helmet. If Rebellion want to use real locations rather than CGI backdrops or scaled miniatures then Docklands might be suitable. That's all I was saying. There's no need for further discussion on it.  :D

Regarding casting... it's possible Lost actor Matthew Fox would make a credible Dredd:

He has the jawline and chin and he sounded Dredd-like in the film Speed Racer. He put on a very husky Dredd type voice. I'm reasonably confident he could pull off Dredd's character.

Mike Gloady

Quote from: planetoid on 04 September, 2009, 11:49:52 AM
I'm reasonably confident he could pull off Dredd's character.
I'm not saying anything.  Merely smiling in a purile manner.  Snort snort, fnar fnar!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: planetoid on 04 September, 2009, 11:49:52 AM
There's no need for further discussion on it.

You haven't read that piece I linked to, have you?

Cheers

Jim