Main Menu

Prog 1651: ????

Started by James Stacey, 29 August, 2009, 02:32:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toni Scandella

Trout

Sorry, but Leigh doesn't look like Gok Wan. It's not a funny thing to say.

Mardroid

Quote from: King Trout on 01 September, 2009, 10:59:54 PM
Sorry, but Leigh doesn't look like Gok Wan. It's not a funny thing to say.

I confess I thought of Gok Wan when I saw that picture. It's mainly the glasses I think...

Cover:  Oo-er. Lucky beasties.

Dredd: Good stuff. I like Beeny's dry cheeky humour. I also liked seeing Dan Francisco stand up to the others. As to the shocking 'solution' it wasn't actually Dan Francisco who came up with it. I wish we'd seen more of his reaction though... which does suggest he might be going along with it, in turn suggesting his supposed empathy with the mutants might actually be purely a political ploy. Nothing definite yet though, so we'll see.

Strontium Dog:  Decent enough start to the episode. And attractive stewardess... (Incidentally, didn't the last episode suggest Miss Triplicate would be hanging with him on his next job?) I think I can predict how this will go, but I hope I'm surprised.

Dante/Lulu:  Judging by the story, I take it these vampires have appeared in the strip before my time. Are they true supernatural vampires in the classic horror sense or products of genetic engineering/augmentation like the Werewolf in the Beat of Rudinstein?  I actually hope they're the latter as I think it would fit with the world of this strip better. Dredd's well incorporates both sci-fi and the supernatural, but so far everything I've seen* in Dante-world has had some kind of scientific explanation.  Cool characters though. Nice episode and... yes, nice ladies.

Shakara: Meh. It never moved the story on much... and just as it started to get interesting (and I genuinely was interested at that point!) it's on to the next strip. It wasn't bad mind, I'd just have liked a bit more.

Kingdom: Great little episode, but again emphasis on the little. What we had was great though. [spoiler]Is that a couple of GI dingoes there?[/spoiler] I love hearing the Ausie (Auxie) accent on the phone. Heh.

*bearing in mind there's plenty of Dante backstory I haven't seen.

Colin YNWA

Got mine through the post last night and glad to say once again a great prog. Nice to have it back to 5 stories. Paul Marshal's art on Dante is his best to date I'd say. There's even an odd panel here and there were the inking (I think) really looks like Cam Kennedy to my untrained eyes. Nice set for the new story.

The first page and half of Dredd just steel the show for me. Loved the way [spoiler]Wagner in such a short space managed to completely flip my view of the new Chief Judge and far from being a puppet for others is exerting his own authority with great skill. Quite what his supposed puppetmaster's think of this we'll see in Prog's to come.[/spoiler]

Shakara and Strontium Dog both very strong but I have to say Kingdom deserves special mention as that was just a great 6 pages (I hope it was 6 don't have the Prog to hand!) and Elson's art has gone up a notch again.

Brillant prog.

Odd_Bloke

Should be picking this up from Smiths en route to the train station.  Can't wait!

Cactus

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 02 September, 2009, 09:04:43 AMKingdom deserves special mention as that was just a great 6 pages (I hope it was 6 don't have the Prog to hand!) and Elson's art has gone up a notch again.

It was five pages (I counted them last night), as was Shakara, which is probably why they seemed so brief when I read them.

I owe an apology to Paul Marshall and Alan Craddock for forgetting their names in my previous post. Sorry Paul, sorry Alan. That's some great work on Nikolai Dante, especially the blood-soaked double-page spread.

I'm a tucker hot seat trucker and I'm voking cheerio, ten-ten!

SmallBlueThing

Briefly, as about to go to work.

Kept quiet about last week's prog, cos I was underwhelmed. Too little diversity in strip, too many ads. This week, however... now THAT is a prog. A serious contender for "prog of the year", not a weak story in there- with possibly the only minor niggle being Shakara's four-page-plus-splash format, which I felt a bit of a waste. But really, if Henry Flint ran out of time due to that utterly remarkable second page, then it's a fair trade off. This run of Shakara is showcasing some of the best work I've ver seen from the Flint droid. Astonishing perspectives and machinery.

Dredd, Stront and Kingdom all utterly brilliant. Especially Stront. "Hunting men" indeed- I bet! Heh.

Dante's change of artist came at a good time for me. While Fraser and Burns are beyond the words I have for "good", I've become a little bored of Dante of late- this slight twist on the strip, with a slightly different visual style, seems to have been what it needed for me to appreciate it again. Splendid stuff.

BEst prog since the heady run that included Zombo and Cradlegrave. 2009 is shaping up to be a vintage year for Thrilpower.

Spundigs!

Steev

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Cactus on 02 September, 2009, 11:53:31 AM

I owe an apology to Paul Marshall and Alan Craddock for forgetting their names in my previous post. Sorry Paul, sorry Alan.

Paul Marshall and Gary Caldwell, you mean?

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: SpookyTheCat on 02 September, 2009, 12:10:01 PM
2009 is shaping up to be a vintage year for Thrilpower.

It is indeed. I have nothing more to add other than a general noise of assent to the overall chorus of approval. Damn fine prog for which superlatives seem inadequate amid the ones already deservingly lavished on this and many previous progs this year.

It's my sincere hope that this extended run of genuinely excellent progs is resulting in some uptick, even a slight one, in sales.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Cactus

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 02 September, 2009, 12:16:40 PM
Quote from: Cactus on 02 September, 2009, 11:53:31 AM

I owe an apology to Paul Marshall and Alan Craddock for forgetting their names in my previous post. Sorry Paul, sorry Alan.

Paul Marshall and Gary Caldwell, you mean?

Cheers!

Jim
:-[ I'm going to stop posting from work as I'm clearly useless without my reference material. I still haven't got used to four droids on one strip anyway. Script-Art-Lettering, the holy trinity.
I'm a tucker hot seat trucker and I'm voking cheerio, ten-ten!

Proudhuff

Dredd is a great tale, Wagner backfooting us again with DanFan's choice for the Muties and Dredd's reaction while I can't help liking Boots, he should have been Logan, artwork cracking too.

Dante: oh look someones back from the dead..., oh sorry undead that's alright then.

UUUUreeekkaakaaka! Lots of red and black and white, looks like its going to be more than just a smash-em-up this time

SD: in a suit! looking good, here's hoping they get their money this time!

Damage report has the healing power of chocolate, but not the healing power of cheese, Shirley Summistake?
DDT did a job on me

vzzbux

Yayyy prog arrived.

My brother in law used to go school with cock wank I mean Gok Wan and he was very portly round the waist.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

mygrimmbrother

Quote from: vzzbux on 02 September, 2009, 03:38:01 PM
Yayyy prog arrived.

My brother in law used to go school with cock wank I mean Gok Wan and he was very portly round the waist.

V

I don't think he likes to mention it.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: mygrimmbrother on 02 September, 2009, 03:43:16 PM
Quote from: vzzbux on 02 September, 2009, 03:38:01 PM
Yayyy prog arrived.

V

I think he talks about it quite a bit- and even did a whole program devoted to his yoyoing weight as a youngster.

I don't think he likes to mention it.

Dark Jimbo

Little to add to the general back-slappery. Brilliant prog.

Though I feel compelled to point out that Paul Marshall has mistakenly drawn the Tsar and the vampires all wearing the Romanov crest, rather than the Makarov one.

Sorry Paul, but we had to find something inconsequential to moan about. Can't have Tharg getting all complacent now, can we?
@jamesfeistdraws