Main Menu

Banned for spamming and IP conflict on my home compy?

Started by Radbacker, 15 August, 2011, 01:39:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radbacker

um i tried to get onto the site yesterday from my home computer and i get a perminent banning message for spamming?  now i can get onto the site from my work computer so obviously something wrong with my home computer.  I have paid for McAffee protection and thats not picked anything odd up on its scans (but it has let me down before and let in a particulalrly nasty thingy).

The last couple of days my computer has ocasionally listed up a IP conflict message (it says my computers IP is conlicting with another device same address?)  I have to re-set my modem to get online.  As a bit of a ludite should i be really worried about this? is this related to my banning?  is some f*&ker stealing all my details?  anyone with some computer knowledge able to help?

Thanks Regards
Radbacker

Emperor

I wouldn't worry. It is possible your home PC has an IP that has wandered into one of the banned ranges (we'll often ban a range of IPs if there are only spammers registered from the IPs in the range) - looking through the bans there are a couple that are a hair away from what I assume are your home computer IPs (although you have posted under a number so it is tricky to track down) so this might be the answer.

However, for some reason people have also reported getting banned messages if there is a corrupt forum cookie on their computer (and no I can't explain why it happens but the error must get picked up by the banning system somehow), so an idea is to specifically log out from the forum at home, close the browser, delete any relevant looking cookies (possibly reboot your PC to ensure the session is completely dead) and log back in. That has worked for most of the people who have reported getting this error message.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Radbacker

thanks for the reply Emperor, will try that when i go home for lunch. 

CU Radbacker

Radbacker

thanks Emp deleting cookies has let me back in.  Now hope no bugger has stolen anything the IP conflict that was comming up hasn't happened today yet, i ran Malwarebyte through and it picked up 1 trojan to delete.

Cu Radbacker