Main Menu

Life Spugs because...

Started by Dog Deever, 04 March, 2009, 08:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zarjazzer

Bloody hell that's great stuff exilewood. Fenders all the way (or is that a southpaw gibbo LP in the background). Anyway great sound, great songs. You've certainly got the bluesey voice. :)
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

SmallBlueThing

People who know me, will know that I have a bizarre and illogical phobia surrounding the number 13. It doesn't manifest in any other form than in regards to books: I can't put a book down if I get to the end of chapter 11- I HAVE to read on to the end of chapter 14, lest something unimaginable will happen. Thus, I "miss out" chapter 13 entirely and never have to stop on it. Similarly, I can't pause reading a book on page 12, 112, 212 etc- I have to read on to page 14, 114 etc, so my corner turn can occur on page 15 (115, etc).

Last night I broke this rule for the first time I can remember to pause briefly and turn the corner down on chapter 13, while I made a snack.

Literally within minutes, my wife phoned me to tell me that A REALLY BAD THING HAD HAPPENED and then ANOTHER REALLY BAD THING HAPPENED with my guys at work. Then, just before I went to bed, I received A REALLY BAD BIT OF NEWS from an old friend. Today I got up, RECEIVED ANOTHER REALLY BAD BIT OF NEWS, then the news that Nicholas Courtney had died, then my wife phoned me to tell me my youngest son had smashed the living room window, and I had to go to my "base" where ANOTHER REALLY BAD THING HAPPENED.

Fuck!

I'm chucking the book out.

SBT

Dandontdare

In internet land that's we call PROOF.

Noisybast

You won't be doing that again...
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Dark Jimbo

So... SBT killed Nicholas Courtney?
@jamesfeistdraws

SmallBlueThing

Dont! i feel guilty enough as it is. I dont think there's any chance now of me breaking this mentalist phobia, which has hindered me for years. In no other aspect of my life does number 13 bother me; its just books. I sometimes flick through a book before buying it to see if the pagecount between the end of chapter eleven and the start of chapter fifteen is 'do-able in one late night sitting'. I dread authors who write long chapters, and love books whete the author has kindly made chapter thirteen only a few pages.
Mr Hoo-Haa, youre eight page chapter thirteen of FLU was much appreciated.
SBT

vzzbux

SBT. If you purchases a Kindle maybe your phobia would stop. It might be just the physical page turning process which brings the evil deadworld bitch to the surface.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

COMMANDO FORCES

Just get a black marker and erase all the 13's in the books that you read, or you could change them all the 12a  ;)

SmallBlueThing

Whsmith currently have a colour screen fake kindle that does pdfs, for £65, and im tempted... But pdfs means comics, and i cant imagine reading 2000AD on a five inch screen. I still look at the physical prog and think 'this is too small, i preferred it around the prog 900 mark'.
Im not sure it would stop my libritriskewotsitphobia, as its still books, if only digital ones... :-/
SBT

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 23 February, 2011, 10:58:19 PM
Whsmith currently have a colour screen fake kindle that does pdfs, for £65, and im tempted...

I can tell you right now that you probably don't want to read anything on a colour screen in a device that cost £65. Seriously. Before anyone steps up to accuse me of being an iSheep, or something similar, this isn't a sales pitch to convince you to buy an iPad, just an observation that LCD displays are one of the few areas where you really do get what you pay for.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

SmallBlueThing

Oh i know, jim. It IS reduced from £130 i think, but even so. There's no chance of me affording an ipad this decade, unless i suddenly win the lottery, and im loathe to buy a reader that doesnt let me read comics, as comics are as vital a part of my reading as novels.
What i want is a cheap device that does that, and doesnt concern itself with videos or all the other bumf that these things tend to have.
SBT

COMMANDO FORCES

The latest scum to live next door have finally pissed me right off.
It's nearly 23:30 and the shits are banging on the walls again, I decided to go round there and confront the twats. Lo and behold a child answers the bloody door 'AGAIN'. I ask him where his parents are and he says they are in the pub. I ask him who is the eldest child in the house, so he calls a slightly older child up from the cellar.

I asked him if he thinks it's okay to be making this much noise at this time of the night, he agreed no. I then tell him that every night (and now I know the reason, they are drinking their benefits in the bloody boozer) from 01:00 onwards the noise starts till about 04:00 and it's a joke. I told him that some of us actually WORK for a living and that he's lucky I don't go to the police due to a 12 year old looking after the rest of the kids in the house while the parents are out drinking!

I also informed him that I shall be getting in touch with their landlady, as I'm not having this again. I didn't tell him that I had their car removed from the streets permit parking bays and crushed, due to over 100 parking tickets (the story was in the local press but I was anonymous). I'm currently at war with the council over this, due to them only doing something about it when the press got involved.

This is now the second family of scum we have had living next door to us, as the landlady is asking way too much for rent and working people can't afford the price, so we get these! I can see why people move now but we've had nearly 19 years of happy living here, just the last two have been spoiled once the house was sold to a buyer to let.

Tiplodocus

QuoteI don't go to the police due to a 12 year old looking after the rest of the kids in the house while the parents are out drinking!

I think it's probably fair to report them for this without any qualms on your conscience. I suppose the only problem is, they'd know it was you.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

JOE SOAP

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 27 February, 2011, 11:45:45 PMI ask him who is the eldest child in the house, so he calls a slightly older child up from the cellar.

Are they Austrian?

COMMANDO FORCES

I know and the hell we had with the last lot was unbelievable, what is wrong with people!
Carolyn just wants an easy life but if I hear this every night I'm off, no matter what day of the week it is, so it must be happening every night.
The bit about the pub just proves that they must be out every night and that's why the noise usually starts at that time, when they return. This is when the kids slam doors, run about and shout till 4.
I am expecting the parents to at the very least come knocking later today and have it out with me. If not, I'll ring the landlady, followed by the council, social and police.

P.S. JOE  ;)