Main Menu

Dredd Case Files 02

Started by I, Cosh, 28 February, 2006, 10:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

Snapped one of these up on the way home this afternoon: glad to see it just made it's scheduled February release date.

Not had a chance to read it yet as I only bought it 25 minutes ago and I was consumed by the nerdish internet-geek desire to be the one to start the thread!

Initial impressions are that the same care and attention has gone into producing this as the first volume and a shelf full is going to look great. Unfortunately there's no quirky extras like Walter's Wobot Tales, but looking at the side of the book they've had to include a lot more dead pages because of the increased number of splash pages this time out.

Watch out if you're heading for FP Glasgow to get this as the whole batch seems to have been unpacked and shelved by a particularly clumsy child and every copy I could find had some marking on the back from what I assume was packing material.

Oh well, I can't see any work getting done tonight as I get stuck into some serious Dredd action.
We never really die.

IndigoPrime

Oh, and in case anyone's wondering, yes, the spine is yellow.

The Amstor Computer

Glad to know it's out - now if only I can get my copy before the end of March :-(

BTW - has anyone actually seen a copy of the first Slaine: Books of Invasions collection? I can't find it anywhere offline, none of the major online retailers have it & it isn't available through the Future Shop. Has it actually been released yet?

Grant Goggans

Oddly, the other January books - Dredd Chief Judge's Man and Rogue Book 4 - are shipping to US shops tomorrow, according to Diamond, but not the Slaine book.

Rob Spalding

S'not in the Future Shop yet :(

Trough

>>Watch out if you're heading for FP Glasgow to get this  

Thanks for the heads-up, Cosh.   I popped in last night and got meself a (good condition) copy, as did the bloke in front of me in the queue.   Was it one of you chaps in the Hive-Mind?

Satanist

I was in FP Glasgow last night but didn't buy one as they looked like they had been volleyed from the delivery van straight onto the shelves. Might have a root about tonight.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

JIMMY DREDD

De-lurking:

Hi Amstor. Ottakars in Norwich has a few copies of the Slaine book and they've had them for a while so it's definitely out. If you have an Ottakars in your town maybe they could order one from the Norwich branch if they can't get one direct from their suppliers?

JIMMY DREDD

Hello, it's me again.

Feel a bit of a tit. I've just realised it's the 'Warrior's Dawn' collection I've seen, not the 'Books Of Invasion'. Sorry if I got your hopes up.

The Amstor Computer

No worries - thanks for the help, anyway! Hopefully I'll be able to track down a copy, but at the moment it seems to have disappeared entirely...

ukdane

I've just been told Slaine: Books of Invasion has indeed been delayed.
Cheers

-Daney

The Amstor Computer

Fuck. Any explanation why? The Euro trades seem to be particularly prone to delays - I don't think there's been one in the past year or so that has actually met the release date. When DC were handling the publishing, I thought it might be a problem with the printers who Rebellion have handling the Euro books, but IIRC the same company now prints all the trades.

Annoying.

I, Cosh

So, The Cursed Earth last night and The Day the Law Died this evening! It's been years sinc I read either and my thrill-circuits are well and truly frazzled. A few comments.

- Far from being a nightmare vision of the ultimate fascist, Dredd back in the day was a bleeding heart liberal with a rolled up copy of The Guardian in his holster. First it was robots, now it's aliens, muties and the deranged products of scientific minds gone wrong that he feels sorry for.

- So many sidekicks, but Spikes is the best. Judge Shaft, I mean Giant, is pretty ropey.

- Never mind Burger King, Roger Zelazny should be suing.

- Surprisingly, The Cursed Earth seems to work better as a story. Or, rather, as a loose framework for a whole bunch of stories. Day the Law Died is bloody hilarious in places though. Then they suddenly have that fairly shocking "at least in Nazi Germany the trains ran on time" bit which fits in well enough but is a sudden blast of a very different kind of humour.

- I still cringe at "only the strength of madness could break those chains."

- The second last panel of "The Mutie Mountains" has either been messed up at the printers or I've got a dodgy copy. Can anyone tell me what it's meant to say?

- Backtracking on a previous post I made, it might only be his Slaine that I particularly object to about Mick McMahon as all the stuff here is great. Bolland's episodes are better, mind.

Keep up the good work Jon. The one thing I could do with, which was mentioned on the thread about the first volume, is an idea of which aliases belong to who.
We never really die.

W. R. Logan

>- The second last panel of "The Mutie Mountains" has either been messed up at the printers or I've got a dodgy copy. Can anyone tell me what it's meant to say?

mine looks fine.

No... Th-They must not destroy mt statue... Do as they say, Brothers, release the prisoners!

ming

That part of the Cursed Earth contains one of my favourite scenes evah!  No, no, not... the teeth!  Aiiieeee!!!