Main Menu

Prog 2164 : The law is a battlefield!

Started by Darren Stephens, 11 January, 2020, 01:19:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Stephens

https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Leigh S

Well I don't care if the Dredd is written by Matt Smith,Gordon Rennie, Al Ewing or Mrs Brown's Boys... it is marvellous!  Bring on part 3

Havent read the rest, but my News REsolution is to read ALL the stories week by week, so looking forward to the rest!

Bolt-01

I've just gorged myself on both prog and Meg - need to have a sleep!

Darren Stephens

Excuse the one sentence review, didn't think it had posted! I think the cover had me a little shook!

Loving all the strips to varying degrees, but have to say Dredd, Zilk and Vex are all top top thrills. Feral and Foe is shaping up nicely and I'll be reading Brink in one go at the end, as I'm a bit lost as far as that strip goes. I've enjoyed the previous series, so I am looking forward to savoring this one in its entirety.
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Magnetica

Simply a great Prog.

I'll pick out Dredd as the highlight this week. Loved the twist at the end.

Proudhuff

Dredd dealing with imaginary friends and not so imaginary assassins in Kill Bloopy where [spoiler]Walter [/spoiler]almost makes an appearance

Proteus Vex: seems to be where Dr Who would like to go if it had the budget
Zaucer of Zilk, full of fabby coloured fruity fun and music from the last century!
Feral & Foe seems a bit dark in the printed form, I know they're inside but my old diodes are straining here,
Brink: Hate Box the investigation take a turn and they keep on digging, deserving of its top spot in the readers poll.
DDT did a job on me

Colin YNWA

Well, well, well just when you think it can't happen the Prog finds a way to get better.

Firstly what's not changed. Dredd is still brilliant, absolutely brilliant. The only let down is I think they've played the PSi card a little too clearly... mind I could be wrong?!? And Dan Cornwell just gets better and better.

Brink is just plain fried thrill gold. It won thrill of 2019 by some margin and if it keeps up form like this it'll get it this year too!

Mind with new thrill like Proteus Vex who knows what will happen. Mike 'Michael' Carroll is really letting the full Flint out the bag. Having seen some of Mr Henry's sketches you have to think this is the thrill that has truly let him off the lease. Just sublime.

Zaucer of Zilk might not be that good, but it is bloody good. Was it just me or did final page turn into classic Strontium Dog! Just fantastic.

The way the Prog managed to squeeze and improvement out of it already juice thrill melon was to make Feral and Foe not just a good promising new thrill but blooming fantastic. The introduction of 'Tank' has turned this solid thrill into a comedic gem and the interplay between character was Dabnett at his best. And as we know Dabnett at his best is 2000ad at his very best.

All this wrapped in a Will Simpson cover that had it not been a generic Dredd shooting out the page would have been an early contender for cover of the year, the execution is just so good. Tharg I double dare you to improve on this one! Go on prove me wrong and show me its possible!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

norton canes

Despite having bought the prog yesterday, admired that phenomenal cover, seen it again on this thread and admired it plenty more, I have literally only just this very second noticed the even bigger gun Dredd has slung over his shoulder. I swear it wasn't there before.

norton canes

Anyhoo, Dredd's the star of the inside as well as the outside of this prog. Some lovely flourishes in both Call-Me-Niemand's script ('Walter' was a stroke of genius, but an you imagine of it had been 'Rico'?) and the Cornwell Droid's art - who's 'Dunc'? And just why is that apartment so cold?

Also on the positive side, Brink Brinks Brinkily along and Feral & Foe taps into Spinal Tap for great comic effect. The story-weaver conceit remains the best thing about Zaucer Of Zilk but I can't say the scenes without him are gripping me as much; and Proteus Vex suffers a little from having something of a character vacuum at its core, but there's plenty of time for it to grow.

Bolt-01

Norton - re the cold apt - Wrex and Patsy mention the name of the imaginary friend earlier in the strip.

norton canes

Ah yes, thanks. Memory span of a frog, me.

TordelBack

That cover is just full-on scrotnig, such energy!

Haven't got beyond Dredd during a cheeky teabreak shufti, but it has all the hallmarks of a minor classic. The '[spoiler]Walter[/spoiler]' gag was great, but as Norton observes, I had already heard 'Rico' in my head before I got to the speech balloon. Then I thought 'Eustace' might have been good, or even (sniff) 'Barbara'... but '[spoiler]Walter[/spoiler]' works better in this tale. Cornwell may be the droid most perfectly-suited to this variety of Dredd strip to come along in several years: every page feels like its full to bursting.

DrJomster

Very strong prog this, very strong indeed! What a great start to the year we're having. Whoever's writing Dredd, well done that droid, keep up the good work! But basically, everything's top class, it really is!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.