Main Menu

Judge Dredd vs. The Big Two!

Started by robocook, 28 December, 2011, 11:39:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Cheers, Steve, will do. Since your post, I've tumbled headlong through time (like Gil Gerard) to the year of Adam Ant, the Yorkshire Ripper and Dangermouse.

robocook

Haha! Well you might want to check this too...

Purple wigs, silver mini-skirts and Gabrielle Drake! Gerry Anderson's UFO.

http://secret-oranges.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/the-far-flung-future-of-1980-pt2.html

Frank

Quote from: robocook on 24 March, 2013, 10:22:30 AM
Purple wigs, silver mini-skirts and Gabrielle Drake! Gerry Anderson's UFO.

http://secret-oranges.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/the-far-flung-future-of-1980-pt2.html

Brilliant! I'm with Tomlinson on the aesthetics overcoming the logical underpinning of UFO - if the cast of Prometheus had been wearing lamé underwear the film would never have attracted so much nitpicking. Your site's a treasure trove for fantastic images from the Avengers/Anderson/Batman/Barbarella axis which taught my eyes what beauty was in the cultural desert of the eighties. That axis includes your transformation of the prog into something that was a pleasure to look at as well as read, Steve.

robocook

Nice to get good feedback - Thanks!

I was never truly pleased with the logo 'til I drew the one at the top left of this page. Glad they still use it.

Mentioned it here a while ago...
http://secret-oranges.blogspot.co.uk/2011/11/555-alive.html

Frank

Quote from: robocook on 24 March, 2013, 01:12:04 PM
I was never truly pleased with the logo 'til I drew the one at the top left of this page. Glad they still use it. Mentioned it here a while ago ... http://secret-oranges.blogspot.co.uk/2011/11/555-alive.html

Cheers, Steve; I'd had a root around Secret Oranges to see if you'd written on the subject of your design work for Fleetway as well - my research skills are crap. I drew a connection between what you were doing and the way Neville Brody was influencing style mags at that time (i), so it's interesting to discover that Nova was uppermost in your thoughts. And it's fascinating to discover that prog 622 wasn't the only time you drew Dredd for the cover of the prog; strong Cam Kennedy influence there:

http://secret-oranges.blogspot.co.uk/2011/11/555-alive.html

(i)  especially with the typography in the late eighties/early nineties specials

I, Cosh

Quote from: sauchie on 23 March, 2013, 05:00:45 PM
I don't think any other artist [than Cam Kennedy] in the history of 2000ad has such an innate understanding of how the simple placement of lines on a flat page creates dynamic, three dimensional, moving images in the mind of the reader. I've just spent about ten minutes letting the artful construction of that image bounce my eye around the page and marveling at how the quality which makes one figure or texture work is entirely dependent on its relation to another part of the picture for its effect.  That's not just great comic art, that's great art - thanks very much for posting, Steve.
Some years back, Jim Campbell made this great post breaking down the way the illusion of movement is created in one of Cam's Rogue Trooper pages. I think it was in contrast to the stiffness evident in some of the newer artists' work at the time but that's not really relevant. I'd try to find it but I can't.
We never really die.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Cosh on 26 March, 2013, 01:58:53 PM
I'd try to find it but I can't.

Very kind of you to mention it. It was this post.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Frank

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 26 March, 2013, 02:24:27 PM
Quote from: The Cosh on 26 March, 2013, 01:58:53 PM
Some years back, Jim Campbell made this great post breaking down the way the illusion of movement is created in one of Cam's Rogue Trooper pages. I think it was in contrast to the stiffness evident in some of the newer artists' work at the time but that's not really relevant. I'd try to find it but I can't.

Very kind of you to mention it. It was this post.

Cheers, Jim. Like Yoda and Socrates, you are old, but learned.

Spikes

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 26 March, 2013, 02:24:27 PM
It was this post.

That's a simply superb panel - a real favourite, and show's you all you need to know about Cam's style.
(Ming has the original art for this, as shown in that post - jammy bugger!)

Frank

Despite that story being set in the familiar milieu of the battlefield, which Ezquerra was comfortable working in from his Battle days, he really had to reinvent almost everything about his work to capture the atmosphere of that strip. The lines and textures in that cover are so different from the work we'd seen from him at that point, although I suppose the guignol of Kostanza & Co has some precedent in the Strontium Dog story Journey Into Hell. Thanks for posting, Steve.

Spikes

A very memorable cover that. Cheers for posting, Steve.
I dont know if this has been discussed before, but was this strip originally destined for another comic?
On the face of it you'd think it wouldnt 'fit' into the prog - though i love the strip from the get go.
Carlos always seemed very much at home drawing WW2 stuff.

glassstanley

Why had the text been covered over on the Fiends art? Has it ever been used with different text in the speech balloon?