Main Menu

The awfulness of youtube

Started by Steve Green, 28 February, 2019, 09:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

I know it's shameful victim-blaming, and not relevant to the genuine concerns of the article, but it's worth noting that you have to be 13 to manage your own YouTube account. So those kids were making videos and uploading them on the mother's account, although it may not have been labelled as such, or just lying about their age with her connivance.  I've laboriously vetted all my kids' interminable video uploads (under my account, although in their name) for pedo-friendly content, as well as bullying, meanness and the perennial future-CV-sabotage, and let me tell you it does not strengthen the precious bond between parent and child one teeny bit.  But it's a necessary chore in this 21st C. 

TL; DR: I have to suffer, why shouldn't she.

(See also: every other social media platform).

Frank

Quote from: TordelBack on 08 June, 2019, 08:23:43 AM
Quote from: Professor Bear on 07 June, 2019, 11:41:23 PM
To be fair to Youtube, it does also platform and magnify far right extremists to balance out the pedophile content.

I've laboriously vetted all my kids' interminable video uploads ... for pedo-friendly content

Not sure fiddler interest is limited to the brief flash of first-grader flesh alluded to in the NYT piece.

The PERHAPS YOU MIGHT ENJOY A HOLIDAY IN THAILAND antics of Youtube's algorithm have made me reassess the ostensibly endearing news that their most lucrative channel is a small boy playing with toys.

It's the same (unconscious) process as Red-Pilling white identitarians, MRAs and their counterparts on the Left. It's not making anyone a nonce or a TERF, just amplifying and exaggerating an existing interest to keep them pecking away like pigeons in their Skinner boxes.

TordelBack

Quote from: Frank on 08 June, 2019, 09:13:15 AM
Not sure fiddler interest is limited to the brief flash of first-grader flesh alluded to in the NYT piece.

No indeed, and my ceaseless toil* in this arena is mainly aimed at keeping personal info, locations, schedules etc. off the airwaves.

For the longest while I took genuine affront at not being able to slap pics of my frequently-naturist family in various states of déshabillé on any medium I wanted (my childhood home was festooned with balls-out baby pictures of my brothers and I in baths and on blankets and beaches), reasoning that pervs will perv on whatever pervs can get, so I was fucked (or not) if I was going to give in to the fear of them (when the reality is that abuse is still most likely to come from a known and trusted adult, not a pedo with a van), but as it seems with all things I've gone completely the opposite way, and my social media is largely empty of any images of or identifying info about my kids for a decade now. And anyway, it's not my place to fill their future pasts with curated imagery of my choosing.

This is a fact my far-flung content-hungry relatives regularly berate us about, as they go about documenting the exact times and locations of every sporting event, afterschool activity and playdate my niecephews engage in. 

*I exaggerate for effect.  One sprog is losing interest, the other hasn't developed a strong one yet.