Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattofthespurs

Volumes 57 & 58 arrived today. They look lovely at first glance.

sintec

New Slaine really is a huge step back in the right direction after the last couple of volumes.  My books turned up yesterday and I've already read the 4 shorter stories in there and thoroughly enjoyed all of them.  The Swan Children is absolutely glorious a beautiful little celtic fairy tale with stunning art to match.  Just got The Secret Commonwealth left to go. Although after a quick flick through the pages and I'm unconvinced by the art, the style just doesn't feel like a good fit for Slaine at first glance - maybe it'll grow on me with a proper read.

IndigoPrime

The Swan Children and Macha, in this case aka the moiré years. Yuck. (Probably unavoidable, but still.)

Jade Falcon

Tried phoning Hachette direct, after an hour on hold I gave up, they don't reply to emails. What a bunch of useless incompetents.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

IndigoPrime

I assume they're not responding on Facebook? Try responding very publicly in feeds if not. That tends to get them to reply.

The Monarch

can't believe i had to reactivate my long ago terminated facebook account just to try to get an answer from these people

sintec

Quote from: sintec on 19 November, 2019, 04:42:35 PM
Just got The Secret Commonwealth left to go. Although after a quick flick through the pages and I'm unconvinced by the art, the style just doesn't feel like a good fit for Slaine at first glance - maybe it'll grow on me with a proper read.

Nope - over the half way mark and can say I'm still not a fan. Which is a shame as I think there's a good story buried in here. A very odd choice of artist for this strip.

IndigoPrime

Didn't Bircham redo a bunch of things for the reprint, or am I misremembering?

abelardsnazz

Issue 59 contains:
Sooner or Later
Swifty's Return
Hewligan's Haircut
Zaucer of Zilk
Future Shocks: 60 Hours that Shook the World & Bad Maxwell
One-off: Breathless

Frank

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 20 November, 2019, 01:08:08 PM
Issue 59 contains:
Sooner or Later
Swifty's Return
Hewligan's Haircut
Zaucer of Zilk
Future Shocks: 60 Hours that Shook the World & Bad Maxwell
One-off: Breathless

Just looked up Bad Maxwell. Disappointed to find it wasn't a preemptive warning to pensioners about the impending sale of IPC's youth group to the Daily Mirror conman, but delighted to discover a Brendan McCarthy story I wasn't aware of.

Story's awful dreck, but McCarthy's McCarthy.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 20 November, 2019, 01:08:08 PMIssue 59 contains:
That's a wird mix, but a pretty good one. I guess I'll get to enjoy that in ~28 days!

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 20 November, 2019, 02:39:53 PM
That's a weird mix...

Is it? They're all pretty of a kind, I'd say - spaced-out psychedelia!
@jamesfeistdraws

IndigoPrime

Well, more a mix of weird than a weird mix.

Dark Jimbo

@jamesfeistdraws

Steve Green

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 20 November, 2019, 08:34:26 AM
Didn't Bircham redo a bunch of things for the reprint, or am I misremembering?

Clint Langley redid some bits of his Slaine work - maybe that's what you're thinking of?