Main Menu

Prog 2127 - Have you had your Thrill Fix ?

Started by 73north, 14 April, 2019, 10:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

Prog arrived on Saturday aftie and the only word I can think of is...disappointed.

Dredd, never appeared in Dredd except as a hologram in what could have been an extraneous scene.
Exposition heavy with a bunch of people I cared nothing about or CBA identifying. Normally I'm a big fan of the Car-Rolled droid, butthis one's not got me hooked.

Survival geeks:Exposition heavy but without the Grennie droids usual scything wit, or did I miss something? I'm no D&D player, so might have been over my heid.

Scarlet Traces; Top progage and best in show, hoping this fulfils its promise!! as previous series have. Loving Matt's artwork too.

Max Normal; hasn't set the heather alit for me and I find the colouring a bit murky, sorry chaps I had such high hopes for this

Kingmaker: soo not my cuppa, and those pointy chins are really starting to annoy...

So for the first time in years its a one out of five for me, still the postie delivered on time  :-X

DDT did a job on me

broodblik

A good prog

The Dredd story is taken from a different perspective but still a highly enjoyable read. The only question mark is: how will Dredd be able to use the body to track the gang?

Survival Geeks still a fun read, but I enjoyed the previous capers more. The next story looks like it will mark the end of the series.

Max Normal, not my favourite character in the Dreddverse but I am enjoying this. I even stated at one point that I do not like Cornwell's art, but his work is differently growing on me.

Scarlet Traces is a real treat with awesome art from D'Isreali. This is an action episode from the first to the last panel. The highlight of the prog.

Kingmaker as good as Scarlet Traces. The thing that makes this a great story is the fantasy sci-fi mixer. Edginton has it spot on with his two strips in the prog.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

norton canes

Before I mention this week's stories - is there a reason why prog 2105 is used on the cover? Am I missing something obvious..?

Proudhuff

Quote from: norton canes on 18 April, 2019, 10:20:10 AM
Before I mention this week's stories - is there a reason why prog 2105 is used on the cover? Am I missing something obvious..?

probably the most up to date one that Cliff had to hand when working on this one? or I too am missing something obvious  :-\
DDT did a job on me

Richard

TordelBack

All good stuff under a great cover.

After this week's Dredd I suspect that Mark Sexton must have grossly offended Mike at some point in the past - the number of distinct perp characters in successive tiny panels must have been a nightmare: but Sexton is more than up to the challenge, and John Charles does his wonderfully idiosyncratic thing and keeps everything sharp and well-defined. Some great backgrounds squeezed in between all the figures, and an intriguing gangland plot that almost feels more Ewing than Carroll. Dense, satisfying.

Survival Geeks doesn't end on quite the high note this great run deserved, and I really don't care for the word 'Finale' in the teaser... to the story, right, not the strip? Say it ain't so, people!

Scarlet Traces.  Edginton gives D'Israeli free reign to draw 6 pages of retro-spaceship action, and Matt goes on to sear our eyeballs with his magnificence.  Hard to believe this all started with a mudlark finding a desanguinated corpse. 

Max Normal continues to be way more interesting than such a premise has any right to be, with some lovely character work from Cornwell, and fun Cersei-and-Jamie analogues from Adams.

Kingmaker ambles along very pleasantly, its somewhat decompressed style greatly helped by inventively laid-out pages from Gallagher.  I do hope that Crixus's link with the Ebora isn't the solution to every problem they encounter.

Darren Stephens

Quote from: Proudhuff on 18 April, 2019, 11:08:17 AM
Quote from: norton canes on 18 April, 2019, 10:20:10 AM

probably the most up to date one that Cliff had to hand when working on this one? or I too am missing something obvious  :-\

I thought maybe the colourist had dropped that in...? Not part of the linework, after all.
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Tjm86

I'm quite pleased to see that so many will be able to enjoy prog 2128 this weekend.  Flicking through the prog in smiths earlier this afternoon it is clear there is much to enjoy.   Not so much though as a subscriber though.

Fungus

Excellent prog!
The D&D stuff is not aimed at me, neither was the Silver Surfer so may skip in future TBH.
Can't let that cover pass without comment, it's fantastic. As usual, end up poring over Cliff's linework. Great!
Best of the prog is Dredd, wasn't really a Sexton fan until this prog but the character work especially is tremendous. Stylistically not so far from Weston (whose latest Pin tale should be something special, judging by teasers). Very happy with the underworld intrigue, Carroll has set this up very nicely.

Jacqusie

Quote from: Magnetica on 17 April, 2019, 08:56:03 AM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 16 April, 2019, 09:03:06 PM

Is it me or is some of the colouring in Dredd a bit confusing? When Tomlinson is shown being taken out by Dredd he has grey hair. In the meeting with the Kindred he has reddish brown hair.

Also Fischer's hair seems to change from blonde to red and then to a sort of strawberry blonde.

I'm a fan of Mark Sexton's linework and I don't think the colouring does it justice here. I would love to see it in a pure black and white story someday, but Tharg won't go for that these days, it has to be garish colours on Dredd, which like you say, often aren't consistent!

Tiplodocus

So initially I didn't take to this Dredd tale but because of reviews here, I went back and reread it. Much better second time around.

However that made me think why it didn't grab me on first reading.

Possibly because visually there's nothing that jumps out at you. The art is great and detailed but there's no big new wacky or cool design thing in it.

Similarly plot wise. It's well written with nicely sketched chatacters and an evolving complex plot but ultimately, it's gangster stuff that could be set in New York City with Dirty Harry.

Short version: it needed a better hook for me.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!