Main Menu

Bryan Hitch to draw Judge Dredd for the first time

Started by Colin YNWA, 26 November, 2020, 05:49:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Interesting news from that there Faciebook they've justed annouced that Bryan Hitch is drawing an upcoming Rob Williams Judge Dredd story - details from Rob Williams and Bryan Hitch's Tweeters if folks do that kinda thing too.

Be interesting to see how he does with Dredd.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

I remember him from Transformers—as in, the 1980s Marvel UK one, along with Death's Head. Of his more recent work, I'm most familiar with The Ultimates, although that was over a decade ago. According to Wiki, he's mostly on Batman at the moment.

Art

The Ultimates saw Hitch making the Ultimates costumes into something more ruggged and partially armoured, in a very Judge like way (particularly thinking of the movie version) - it'll be interesting seeing that look come home.

Tjm86

I think you might find that this is not the first time he has drawn Dredd.

IIRC he did one around about the 400's, a bat mugger story.  It was very Alan Davies-esque which might be why it doesn't register.

Have to have a troll tonight methinks.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Tjm86 on 27 November, 2020, 06:23:52 AM
I think you might find that this is not the first time he has drawn Dredd.

IIRC he did one around about the 400's, a bat mugger story.  It was very Alan Davies-esque which might be why it doesn't register.

I think Rob Williams was teasing at as someone who'd never drawn Dredd.

The Bat Mugger story you are thinking of was in fact Alan Davis himself - often sited as a prelim for the abandoned Davis Moore Batman Dredd tale, though I think that might be a myth?

broodblik

This is from Rob Williams original twitter:

Starting writing a Judge Dredd script today for a big star artist who has never drawn Dredd before.

Start your speculation engines...

His latest on the subject:

Hey, here's that star artist drawing the Judge Dredd story I mentioned. Really excited to have
@THEBRYANHITCH
drawing Mega-City One for
@2000AD
and we've got
@DylanTeague
onboard for extra art excellence.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: broodblik on 27 November, 2020, 06:40:31 AM
This is from Rob Williams original twitter:

Starting writing a Judge Dredd script today for a big star artist who has never drawn Dredd before.

Start your speculation engines...

Thanks Broodblik knew I'd seen it too lazy to find it!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 27 November, 2020, 06:32:24 AM
The Bat Mugger story you are thinking of was in fact Alan Davis himself - often sited as a prelim for the abandoned Davis Moore Batman Dredd tale, though I think that might be a myth?

It was (Alan Davis, I mean... and I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be a warm-up for a Batman/Dredd crossover). Hitch's career took off when he developed a style that was a fairly ruthless, errr... homage to Alan Davis' style, something Davis himself carried a grudge over for years. Hitch has long since abandoned that style and developed into an excellent artist in his own right.

(ISTR some of his earliest work was for Marvel UK on Death's Head and you could see him trying out different artists' styles — one issue was clearly a lift of Alan Davis' style, another was McMahon. It's a thing many artists go through. Early Cliff Robinson was meticulously Bolland-esque, even the mighty Bill Sienkiewicz' early work is practically a clone of Neal Adams.)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

A Hitch Dredd is a nice feather in Tharg's cap, might even bring some fans with him. Plus you can trust Rob to deliver an appropriate script.

JOE SOAP

TordelBack