Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

von Boom

I enjoyed Robot & Frank as well. It's wonderful to see how their relationship develops. It's very nearly a rom-com, but without the rom or the com (well some).

Zarjazzer

the animated movie Dark Knight Returns Part Uno.I barely remember the original comic apart from the iconic cover (suitably spoofed in this movie), it races along very anime (NOT dark deco) looking though which i liked maybe others might not. Some ludicrous moments though the new Robin suddenly finds the ability to knock out mutants(the gang not the cursed earth type) from er, nowhere it seemed to me.

The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

radiator

Round up of some stuff I watched on my trip:

This Is 40:
As with Judd Apatows other films, massively overlong (feels more like you're watching a miniseries back to back rather than a film), lacking in focus and wildly self-indulgent, but still enjoyable if you have a soft spot for his oeuvre (as I do). As you can imagine, the money worries of two wealthy, good-looking 40-somethings doesnt really make for comedy gold, but the relationship stuff is as beautifully observed as it was in Knocked Up. Probably the weakest of Apatow's films to date, but then i didnt really like Funny People at first and it really grew on me with subsequent watches.
3/5

Safety Not Guaranteed:
Likeable little movie, whips along and doesn't outstay it's welcome. Really charismatic lead actors, and Aubrey Plaza is just lovely. People with a low tolerance for whimsy and hipstery tropes should probably avoid though.
A high 3/5

Wreck-it Ralph:
Some good stuff (the jittery animation of the people who live in the tower is sublime) but overall wasn't terribly impressed. Probably didn't do the film any favours by watching it on a shitty, low res, flickering aeroplane seat monitor and I nodded off for about 15mins in the middle. Videogame reference stuff seemed a bit tacked on, like they're being ticked off a list to please fanboys rather than really saying anything about the medium or doing anything clever with it. Was hoping for some sort of examination of/nostalgia for the bygone arcade days, but the film completely sidesteps it. Script seemed a bit muddled. Pixar quality? Not even close - and Pixar have way more class than to ever use a sodding Rihanna track in one of their films.
2/5

The Goonies:
Lets face it, The Goonies really hasn't aged as well as its contemporaries - The Gremlins, Back to the Future etc. It also has a really shitty sound mix that makes it really hard to hear what the characters are saying a lot of the time. I'm still very fond of it, and I actually visited a few of the locations where it was filmed during my trip, which was fun, if a little sad as these things never live up to how you imagine them.
3/5

Beasts of the Southern Wilds:
Not bad, but nothing amazing. The central performance of the little girl is phenomenal, but there's a slight pretentiousness about the film that almost wore me down, but I stuck with it and I'm glad I did as the ending was pretty great.
3/5

One Night:
A Cuban film about three youngsters attempting to flee Cuba for a better life in Miami. Decently made, great performances by the three leads (two of whom, in a case of life imitating art, fled into America while promoting the film) but certain scenes could have been a bit more tense or exciting. Feels a little flat in some respects.
3/5

qtwerk

"Margin Call", starring New Spock, Kevin Spacey, Jeremy Irons, Demi Moore and Paul Bettany as Wall Street high-fliers who realise that they're sitting on a catastrophically gigantic pile of toxic debt, and decide to sell it all in order to save the company from obliteration. By passing it on to the rest of the market. And totally fucking it.

It's really well-acted and while not exactly exciting, it is engrossing and  seemed to be a very accurate depiction of how these companies work: dead-eyed, gallows humour, love of money and risk-taking above all else, flimsy financial models that not even they understand properly and utter brutality when required.

blackmocco

The Master. Some beautiful acting and that was enough to keep me entertained but can't say it made any bigger impression beyond that. Phoenix is phenomenal but the movie just sorta meanders towards an ending. It's no There Will Be Blood.

Primer. I know there's something very intelligent going on here but I think I'm too stupid to understand it. I hate typing that sentence. Time travel movies hurt my brain trying to figure them out and I actually had to do research online after watching this to see if I could figure it out and make some sense of it. I couldn't but I say that knowing the makers of the movie do.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

I, Cosh

Quote from: blackmocco on 04 March, 2013, 05:21:26 PM
Primer. I know there's something very intelligent going on here but I think I'm too stupid to understand it. I hate typing that sentence. Time travel movies hurt my brain trying to figure them out and I actually had to do research online after watching this to see if I could figure it out and make some sense of it. I couldn't but I say that knowing the makers of the movie do.
Did you find this helpful timeline image when searching? It's probably my favourite thing about the film.

http://media.screened.com/uploads/0/1403/248887-primer_timeline.jpg
We never really die.

The Enigmatic Dr X

The Faculty. And oldy but goodie. And, by jeebers, early CGI has really, really, dated.
Lock up your spoons!

blackmocco

Quote from: The Cosh on 04 March, 2013, 05:32:05 PM
Quote from: blackmocco on 04 March, 2013, 05:21:26 PM
Did you find this helpful timeline image when searching? It's probably my favourite thing about the film.

http://media.screened.com/uploads/0/1403/248887-primer_timeline.jpg

Oy...
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

MR. ELIMINATOR

Watched the wrestler for the second time. Really good movie

MR. ELIMINATOR

It's also odd that the behind the scenes side of wrestling is much more interesting then the actual performance. I think quite a few of the old school wrestlers ended up like mickey rourke's character. poor buggers.

Jim_Campbell

Meh Day to Meh Hard. Stars out of five: Meh.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 05 March, 2013, 08:05:05 AM
Meh Day to Meh Hard. Stars out of five: Meh.

Cheers

Jim
Surely not. I think I saw that film, it felt more like a Stallone movie than Die Hard....I thought it sucked.

Charlie boy

Vampire's Kiss. Something of a contemporary vampire tale with young actor of his generation Nicolas Cage keeping your attention in every scene without difficulty. The scene where he recites the alphabet is pretty famous but there are a number of great scenes throughout.

Buttonman

No fun ensues when James Gandolfini moves in with stripper Kirsten Stewart in Welcome to the Rileys. Meanwhile, luvvies save the day in The Reckoning.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Charlie boy on 05 March, 2013, 02:03:18 PM
... actor of his generation Nicolas Cage

I really like Nic 'the cage' Cage. All my senses tell me I shouldn't, but I can't help but admire each and every one of his performances. I think he would make an excellent Mean Angel. No one flips the fuck out like Nic 'the cage' Cage, imagine him goin' upta four!
You may quote me on that.