Main Menu

Podcasts

Started by JLC, 06 March, 2017, 01:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

Off Menu with Ed Gamble and James Acaster

Very funny podcast where guests pick their dream meal course by course.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

radiator

How Did This Get Played? Episode 23 - Custer's Revenge

In which a (usually) lightly comedic videogame podcast, this episode discussing the horribly offensive Atari 2600 game Custer's Revenge, gets completely (and rightfully) derailed when the guest, comedy writer Joey Clift, confronts the hosts regarding the entire premise of the episode, and then from there expands into a far more interesting, illuminating - and occasionally uncomfortable - discussion about representation and tokenisation.

https://www.earwolf.com/episode/custers-revenge-w-joey-clift/

CalHab

Good recommendation there. I've just gotten around to listening to it and it is indeed uncomfortable. Fair play to the hosts for acknowledging what they'd done and apologising for it.

radiator

Quote from: CalHab on 02 December, 2019, 02:46:14 PM
Good recommendation there. I've just gotten around to listening to it and it is indeed uncomfortable. Fair play to the hosts for acknowledging what they'd done and apologising for it.

Yeah - respect to them for going through with the episode, and then putting it out.

I've recently started listening to a podcast called The Dollop. It's one of those shows where you need to scrub through about 10 minutes of ads and plugs to get to the actual content, but it's well worth it. The recent Ronald Reagan 2 parter they did with Patton Oswalt was absolutely hilarious, but also quite shocking - he was just a face on a TV screen (and Strontium Dog cameo star) to me growing up - I honestly never realised what a monster he was. Trump is really nothing new with regards to the Republican Party, eh? The only difference is that he uses a bullhorn instead of a dog whistle.

https://youtu.be/FZlRX1EVnSw

Rara Avis

Finally got around to listening to West Cork. What an absolute mess from start to finish (the subject material not the podcast. Well worth a listen.

Also recommend this : https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07nkd84/episodes/downloads

Both cases ongoing.

Rately

Quote from: Rara Avis on 02 January, 2020, 11:50:16 AM
Finally got around to listening to West Cork. What an absolute mess from start to finish (the subject material not the podcast. Well worth a listen.

Also recommend this : https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07nkd84/episodes/downloads

Both cases ongoing.

The whole concept of Bitcoin eluded me until I listened to this show. The bit where the reporter tried explaining the concept to his mum, had me laughing and feeling old in equal measure.

Have added West Cork to my growing list.

TordelBack

Struck by an overwhelming wave of saudade, wistfully pining for the Sean Hughes podcast there never was - then Googled it and found it exists! Commute sorted for next week.

(This tweet was partly brought to you by Rob Williams)

Rara Avis

Same! Thought he did a great job of explaining it.

Quote from: Rately on 03 January, 2020, 10:25:05 AM

The whole concept of Bitcoin eluded me until I listened to this show. The bit where the reporter tried explaining the concept to his mum, had me laughing and feeling old in equal measure.

Have added West Cork to my growing list.
[/quote]

rogue69

There's a new podcast from the world of Gerry Anderson First Action Bureau, created and written by Jamie Anderson and Nicholas Briggs.

Set in 2068 Nero Jones the Bureau's top agent is sent to Mars Two base but something strange is going on and she is being plagued by headaches and bizarre dreams

JayzusB.Christ

Wow - didn't know this was a podcast.  I used to know Jules Thomas's daughter in college; never knew at the time all this was going on, though.  In fact the major gossip about her back then was that she was the only person we knew personally who'd been topless in Playboy. 

Thanks, though, I'll be checking this one out.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Rately

Some excellent stuff recommended, fellas.

I think i enjoy Podcasts more than just about any form of entertainment / education at moment.

Rately

Current rotation -

Song Exploder - Musicians break down one of their songs, and are sometimes so brutally honest it takes your breath away. The Selena Gomez episode is great. And that is something i never thought i'd ever type, which in a way explains why i love Song Exploder so much. There are so many artists I've been introduced to through it.

The Adam Buxton Show - Just a really great, positive, upbeat and happy show where Adam speaks to people from all sorts of arts and entertainments. His continual discussion of his Father, and his fathers passing have been very touching, and made me examine my own family relations, though i don't know if i'll ever have any more of a conclusion than Adam did.

Reply All - Each week the hosts delve into weird Internet minutiae, from people stealing other peoples social media accounts for money, to a man on a quest to prove a song exists, and he didn't just imagine it. Much better than my description.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 08 November, 2020, 12:47:05 PM

Wow - didn't know this was a podcast.  I used to know Jules Thomas's daughter in college; never knew at the time all this was going on, though.  In fact the major gossip about her back then was that she was the only person we knew personally who'd been topless in Playboy. 

Thanks, though, I'll be checking this one out.

Finally got through this; really gripping stuff.  I really, really wish [spoiler]they had solved the case - Bailey sounds like a dodgy and annoying character, but judging by past form, the I wouldn't trust the Guards as far as I could throw them either.[/spoiler]  Fecking hell, poor old Jules' daughter would have been in the thick of all this back when I knew her, and I had no idea.  Glad to see on FB she seems to be a happily married mother these days.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Rara Avis

[spoiler]I honestly don't think he didn't it but he clearly loves the notoriety it gives him. He won't leave because he's a no one anywhere else. The real tragedy of all this is that her killer will never be caught and her family will never have justice. [/spoiler]

Did she really pose for Playboy or was that a rumour?

If you like true crime then I'd recommend Sword and Scale. There's a whopping 175 odd episodes to get through but they're all really well researched and put together (they can include 911 calls, audio from trials and interviews). However be warned some of the episodes are really hard to listen to.

Also been dipping in and out of Small Town Murder - I don't love it but they have some really interesting stories. The worst thing I can say about them is that for a podcast hosted by comedians they're just not funny.