Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sintec

Quote from: Tomwe on 18 September, 2020, 06:25:06 PM
So that's Classic Flesh then from the credits. And Firekind twinned with Leatherjack. Grand!

... no wait,  James McKay worked on it from 1724 onwards. And also: that spine is out of space, so other creators could be included but not listed.

Yeah I was expecting this was just going to be a slimish volume with just the first 2 books from the classic era. Those first 2 books only come to 165 pages of strip though so there's space for one of the McKay drawn strips (Texas / Midnight Cowboys / Badlanders). That's an interesting editorial decision though given that there's only 1 book scheduled... is this the first indication that the extension might be extended?

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Only the first book of the new Flesh has ever been collected in any form, yes? That's always struck me as odd.

SBT

Colin YNWA

Quote from: sintec on 19 September, 2020, 09:37:57 AM
Quote from: Tomwe on 18 September, 2020, 06:25:06 PM
So that's Classic Flesh then from the credits. And Firekind twinned with Leatherjack. Grand!

... no wait,  James McKay worked on it from 1724 onwards. And also: that spine is out of space, so other creators could be included but not listed.

Yeah I was expecting this was just going to be a slimish volume with just the first 2 books from the classic era. Those first 2 books only come to 165 pages of strip though so there's space for one of the McKay drawn strips (Texas / Midnight Cowboys / Badlanders). That's an interesting editorial decision though given that there's only 1 book scheduled... is this the first indication that the extension might be extended?

The 2011 version has the first McKay voilume - Texas (I always seem to upgrade my Flesh coillections in the hope of getting the perfect collection!) and comes in at 272 pages (according to Amazon too lazy to go to the nerd room to check) and so they might just drop that in. OR they could be a little more interesting and drop in things like Legend of Shamana  or Chronocide (which I think is quite good if I'm honest).

IndigoPrime

Quote from: sintec on 19 September, 2020, 09:37:57 AMis this the first indication that the extension might be extended?
I'm not sure there's that much planning in these things. They run however long they run for. Lawless was at the end of the Dredd volume and ended part-way through the run (and half-way through one of the Rebellion trades). I guess we should just take what we can get and be happy with that—and that at least some stuff (Red Seas) is looking like it will be a complete set.

sintec

Yeah you're probably right IndigoPrime. More likely this is just following the Dino Files contents because they've got that to hand. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Interesting that so far the order is matching the list we've had from ages ago... if they stick to that then the following month (November) will be the first book of The Red Seas and Lobster Random.

Max Headroom

I am tempted to pick up 'Flesh' in this format as I have never read any of it before. Could anyone say whether it's any good and would be a worthwhile purchase?

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Max Headroom on 19 September, 2020, 05:37:38 PM
I am tempted to pick up 'Flesh' in this format as I have never read any of it before. Could anyone say whether it's any good and would be a worthwhile purchase?

I would typically scream HELL YEAH at the top of my voice but it is what it is. Book 1 is one of my all time favourites. Perfectly paced, self contained action adventure with one of the icons of 2000ad Old One Eye - the great She Hag leading the way... oh and some cowboys or other.

Book 2 makes the best of another great character from this series Claw Carver a fantastic scoundrel and villain. In typical 2000ad style both stories and dominated by their glorious 'villains'.

It is however an adventure comic from the late 70s aimed at young folk. So if that tickles you, you will be fine.

Jade Falcon

I do have the Flesh 'phone book' edition that was released a wee while back that had volumes 1 and 2 as well as a few other stories.  I guess that's more than will be in this new book?
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

sintec

Quote from: Jade Falcon on 20 September, 2020, 04:58:57 AM
I do have the Flesh 'phone book' edition that was released a wee while back that had volumes 1 and 2 as well as a few other stories.  I guess that's more than will be in this new book?

Colin mentioned upthread that Amazon has the dino files listed as being 272 pages, that's ~20 pages bigger than the largest book so far.  However my counts for the books are based on pages of strip as listed on Barney and exclude cover galleries and the like. If we take the counts from Barney for the content of Dino Files then it comes in at (87+78+10+61+6+6) = 248 which is comparable to some of the bigger books we've had. If we get all that strip then there's not going to be much room for cover galleries or articles (I'm assuming that's what makes up the other 20 pages of Dino Files?).

All of which is a long winded way of saying... we don't really know.

Zenith 666

81 and 82 are up on the Hachette website so the extensions definitely happening it seems.

IndigoPrime

Yep. Had confirmation on Facebook also. Still can't login, mind. Gah.

leethomson

Have you tried logging in with your subscriber number instead of email address? My experience has been the same - password expired but no reminder mail ever arrives. I can view my deliveries using the subscriber number though.

Tomwe

Quote from: leethomson on 21 September, 2020, 03:54:09 PM
Have you tried logging in with your subscriber number instead of email address? My experience has been the same - password expired but no reminder mail ever arrives. I can view my deliveries using the subscriber number though.
when I try this I get: "Please create an account to link your contract". And I cannot add the sub to my existing account either. I've asked about this, to which their reply was "We are aware of the problems regarding your online accounts not showing all your subscriptions and this is something we are currently looking into for you."
The books still seem to be coming at least

IndigoPrime

Same. Can't link the account to my details. Presumably something screwed up with their flashy new site, but it's annoying.

Bad Andy