Main Menu

Judge Dredd by Bolland: Masterpiece Edition (Expanded Apex edition) - June 2024

Started by Dash Decent, 09 November, 2023, 03:08:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomwe

IndigoPrime

I will say, for anyone who's not got an Apex Edition in their home, you really don't realise just how ridiculously huge these books are until you're starting at the thing. So a smaller and cheaper edition seems like a smart move. But it does also suggest that once these are gone, they are gone. And honestly I'm not thrilled about extra pages in the smaller ones. That feels a bit crap for people who splashed out on the big-o-edition.

(I'm in full-on FOMO mode here with the first Kev book and the second McMahon one. Close to buying. But... ARGH.)

Colin YNWA

Oh wow that size comparison is quite telling. I was tempted by this but I think if I got it I'd never forgive myself for not getting one of the Apex Editions after Zenith. I have a The Spirit Artists edition which will be similar to that new Dredd volume and its ace, was at a very good price BUT still breaks my heart that I didn't get the full-sized version!

Le Fink

Despite the lower price I'm not massively tempted - just prefer the more stylised artists. And it is much smaller (still not small though).

The second McMahon is excellent IP - if only for the full-size Slaine pics. I prefer it to the Kevin O'Neill book myself. If there had been some early Nemesis in that one it would've been a closer run thing.

Magnetica

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 07 February, 2024, 04:38:05 PMhonestly I'm not thrilled about extra pages in the smaller ones. That feels a bit crap for people who splashed out on the big-o-edition.

(I'm in full-on FOMO mode here with the first Kev book and the second McMahon one. Close to buying. But... ARGH.)

Yeah totally. I've got them all apart from the Steve Dillon one. I thought the whole point was they were mean to be special. Which they are. But it definitely rankles a bit to see another version with additional pages. But I'm not going to buy the soft cover version.

IndigoPrime

For what it's worth, I don't begrudge another format coming out. That makes sense and opens up the art to more people. (And it remains special in the sheer size of the book.) Although I also suspect from what I've heard around that the Bolland one would do well in a straight reprint. It's just adding more to it that feels off.

As for the other two, I love the Slaine art. I'm wavering on the Kev book. I keep going back and forth. If it had more Metalzoic I'd have leapt at it. Decisions!

Magnetica

Yeah sure I get that about another format. I'm also ok with that, it's the extra pages.

I seem recall talk of a  Second O'Neill volume with more Nemesis in it.

karlos

Do we know exactly why there's extra pages?

Is it a case of David Roach finding more after the HC came and went?

Not a great look in many ways as it could stop people getting the initial editions in case more pages pop up?

Swerty

I know the Starlord cover came up for sale last year so that would have been previously unavailable.
Sold for £8000 at the propstore although it's one of his missing pieces

karlos

Huge kudos to David Roach (and maybe others) for keeping on the trail of the original art - the only possible unintentional downside is that it might plant the idea that this is the future of Apex editions.

Swerty

The Bolland Apex sells for a lot of money now so it was well worth buying

IndigoPrime

Most recent on eBay was £255. Blimey. There's a Zenith Apex in the sold items too, which had a best offer accepted. I wonder what that was. (It was only on for £49.99.)

pauljholden

You know I'm actually ok about extra pages in it, for a book that's about £30 (i mean if I really wanted them too, 30 isn't that bad and I'd get the rest of the pages in a more manageable sized book...
) Of course id've loved them in my big old expensive actual size book, but how would that work? I'm assuming those pages came to light after the other had gone to print.
- They found extra pages and it's available, and frankly, having had a couple of the big books and a fair few of the smaller books (not 2000ad) I much prefer the bigger (abut er more expensive books) but primarily because John McCrea will occasionally pop round and it's much more fun to go through those books with someone than on your own.

Max Headroom

How much smaller is this new edition compared to the original hardcover?