Main Menu

Recent posts

Books & Comics / Re: Completely Self-absorbed T...
Last post by Proudhuff - Today at 03:26:34 PM
I only got into the whole Ed Brubaker Sean Phillips relatively recently, but am now totally addicted and trying not to binge. The cost of backfilling their work helps!
I got KOBK as it came out and now get their stuff now when it comes out as they seem to fly out the door initially then cost a packet thereafter.
I was never a tights and gusset, sorry Superhero fan and DC and especially Marvel held no interest for me, but like some up thread, My tastes have changed(mellowed?)and Brubaker/Phillips tick every box, I keep looking for some of their stuff to dislike: but so far no luck!!

Nice review by the way YNWA!! ;)
General / Re: New Romance* comic from Re...
Last post by Funt Solo - Today at 03:21:21 PM
Quote from: BPP on Today at 06:44:16 AMHi Funt, it's absolutely nothing to do with comicsgate. Whilst I do think identity politics is the enemy of class struggle I don't think I have to be inappropriately politically labelled just because I look at a list of creators and think 'Christ, nothing for me there'.

I have to take you at your word - it's only fair. It's odd, though - because when people aren't abundantly clear about what they mean, then I use inference. So, my in-head translation of what you said, I'll add below.

Quote from: BPP translated in Funt's headWomen can't draw, and they hounded Ed Piskor to his doom.

I honestly don't understand why Rebellion hire women. Women's work has never connected with Rebellion's existing base (of men) and women don't belong in the UK scene.
General / Re: Crowdfunders you might lik...
Last post by nxylas - Today at 03:15:11 PM
Last post by Tjm86 - Today at 03:13:02 PM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on Today at 01:41:08 PMWow! That sounds like a really impressive Batman collection, really impressive. Which are your fav runs. I have two more Batman runs still to appear here. Nothing as exciting as is in your collection I imagine.

I'm currently picking my way through No Man's Land from the early 90's.  Read it back in the day and in all honesty it is not one that really shines in any coherent way.  Given this was the hey-day of the 'million titles per best-selling character' policy of the main two American publishers, it is not surprising.

I do think this is the biggest problem with Batman.  There is just so much stuff out there it is hard to find anything consistent.  Year One was something special when it first came out and it is fairly easy to understand why Dark Knight returns was as well received as it was but quite often you can end up going to the other extreme with some stuff.

I mean, Death in the Family is actually quite a mediocre tale.  Dark Knight 2 was dire and I've still not got round to reading Master Race.  Hush benefits from Jim Lee on artwork but otherwise there is not that much to recommend it really.  Knightfall is in the same vein as No Man's Land, for me.

I think the New 52 confused the living daylights out of me.  There are some nice stories there but overall it was hard to make sense of what was going on.  Is it an alternate universe story?  I don't know.  Some of the latter tales certainly didn't blow me away.

I'd have to say that some of the best stuff are the 'hidden gems' that people tend to neglect.  Norm Breyfogle's Detective Comics stuff is, for my money, criminally under-rated with some absolutely insane stuff going on.  I love Gotham by Gaslight with Mike Mignola's sumptuous artwork and any of Kelley Jones' work on the title (as well as his amazing Deadman miniseries' that are well worth a look).  Batman Year Two is a nice little read, lifted by Alan Davies' artwork.  Then of course there is a lot of Alan Grant's work on the character across the various titles.

I'm still looking to track down some of the Ra's Al Ghul stuff but at the moment, other than the Hachette collection, print copies are bonkers prices and I refuse to buy digitally from Amazon since they've locked me out of all my old Comix purchases. Plus, I really am a luddite when it comes to comics.  It is a physical medium, sorry.
Suggestions / Re: Judge Dredd TV series
Last post by Proudhuff - Today at 02:42:39 PM

In space no-one can hear Henry whine!
Last post by The Legendary Shark - Today at 02:09:26 PM

I didn't think so.

Off Topic / Re: RIPs
Last post by rogue69 - Today at 01:58:28 PM
Rock'n'Roll pioneer guitarist Duane Eddy has died aged 86
Games / Re: Judge Dredd Miniatures Gam...
Last post by Trooper McFad - Today at 01:53:21 PM
Another great and enjoyable play through- keep up the good work 👍🏻
Last post by judgeurko - Today at 01:51:20 PM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 01 May, 2024, 02:35:30 PM
Quote from: judgeurko on 01 May, 2024, 12:32:58 PM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 30 April, 2024, 05:43:57 PMAnd hoover bags.

Incorrect. Hoover bags are placed in a vacuum cleaner they don't exist there.

Are you saying that as soon as a hoover bag (the product) is placed inside a vacuum cleaner, the bag ceases to exist? If this were true, no hoover bag would ever fill up with dust because it wouldn't be there while the closed-up vacuum cleaner was running. However, hoover bags do get full of dust and fluff, therefore they do exist inside the vacuum. QED.

No. I am not saying that.
Last post by Colin YNWA - Today at 01:44:18 PM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 02 May, 2024, 11:08:50 AMColin: I've been reading through hundreds of Panini Marvel reprints that cover the 2000s, and figuring out which I want to keep. Turns out, the answer is 'none of them', including the mostly strong Mighty World of Marvel. However, I have used them (and 'temporary' ownership of the first 60 volumes of the original Hachette Marvel collection) to govern some deluxe/omni purchases, most of which are relatively standalone own nature. I really enjoyed:

I've got a few of these I kinda randomly picked up and must crack them open as they make for great try out material and can be picked up for bobbins.

I didn't get on with The Visions - which surprises me as I love the other King stuff I've read. Similarly the Slott Allred Silver Surfer didn't work for me, much as I love Allred's art.

Ms Marvel is another one I must get around to trying at some point.