Main Menu

Threadjacking!

Started by Proudhuff, 11 June, 2012, 02:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Scotland certainly has its own Halloween traditions, but Samhain specifically comes from Irish influence via the overkingdom of Dal Riada and its various wider invasions that introduced Gaelic to Scotland. It's not to dispute the widespread nature of Halloween/All Hallows Eve customs, just to note that the version that went to the US and came back as modern Halloween is pretty much 100% Irish in origin, and well documented as such.

Anyways,  it's not the specifics (I'm no expert),  it's the "we can't possibly know so anything goes" attitude that horrifies,  because people do know - they've spent their working lives studying this stuff.

Arguing (as many do) that Halloween is equally Welsh, because it's "Celtic" and Tacitus claimed the "Druidic capital" was based on Angelsea, is just factually wrong.

JayzusB.Christ

Halloween is a lot more Irish than Pat Mills, who I suspect set out to trace his genealogy with a very specific result in mind.

On a related note, jayzus but you'd never suspect fireworks were illegal here. 

EDIT: I really enjoyed that Trick or Treat series of horror films with Jamie Lee Curtis.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

M.I.K.

Of course, technically, Samhain is Irish and Hallowe'en is completely Scottish, 'cos we came up with the actual word.

Frank

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 31 October, 2018, 08:02:56 PM
I really enjoyed that Trick or Treat series of horror films with Jamie Lee Curtis.

Arf! The third one was about Salmon.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: M.I.K. on 31 October, 2018, 08:11:41 PM
Of course, technically, Samhain is Irish and Hallowe'en is completely Scottish, 'cos we came up with the actual word.

That said, we won't be letting the Scotch celebrate it after Brexit.  You can stick to pushing that V for Vendetta chap round in a wheelbarrow.

M.I.K.

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 31 October, 2018, 09:19:20 PM
Quote from: M.I.K. on 31 October, 2018, 08:11:41 PM

That said, we won't be letting the Scotch celebrate it after Brexit.  You can stick to pushing that V for Vendetta chap round in a wheelbarrow.

I can remember seeing some Scottish folklorist on the telly yonks ago relaying a story about her visit to America around this time of year and her surprise at encountering some American youths carting a dummy about and asking for money. "This cannae be right", thought she.

"What's his name?", enquired folklorey wumman.

"Sam Hain", replied American bairn.

Funt Solo

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 31 October, 2018, 09:19:20 PM

If you're doing it by mistake, please take heed.  If you're doing it on purpose, please catch yourself on.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

TordelBack

Joke from Zenith innit.

Frank

Quote from: Funt Solo on 31 October, 2018, 10:20:16 PM

If the last four years have taught us anything, it's that all Scotch agree about everything.

M.I.K.

As a general rule, us Scottish folk don't really care what we're called, as long as it's not "English".

Frank

Funt Solo

Quote from: TordelBack on 31 October, 2018, 10:30:54 PM
Joke from Zenith innit.

It's a joke in Zenith. Context.  When you find a nickname for a group, that many of that group dislike, and you keep using it, then what are you doing there?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

Oh, I think I get it.  Is it like this:

++ A-Z ++  coma ++