Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Dandontdare on 15 October, 2010, 10:26:56 AM
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 15 October, 2010, 08:52:15 AM
Quote from: noodles on 14 October, 2010, 09:35:54 PM
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 25 September, 2010, 04:19:24 PM
Quote from: noodles on 24 September, 2010, 01:50:24 PM

Just finished 'Life of Pi' -absolutely magical... Now going onto 'Captain Correlli's Mandolin'

Thats some fine reading right there. 'Life of Pi' is possibly my favourite book ever.

What else would you recommend?

Anything by Kurt Vonnegut or Paul Auster for starters.

And if Vonnegut & Auster float your boat, try some John Irving, especially A Prayer for Owen Meaney (one of my all time faves) and The World according to Garp.

Funnily enough almost out John Irving on my short list!

Bolt-01

I've just read Madame Samurai, after picking it up at Bristol, and I'm currently enjoying the collected 'WEST; Justice' That I also got in Bristol.

Madame Samurai was a lot of fun- despite some issues with the lettering and a couple of storytelling decisions I want to speak to dave Hitchcock about when I see him next.

WEST is a treat and a half. The collected edition has been relettered throughout and the art has had a sweeping of greys added to unify the package. The story is every bit as good as I remebered it from the comics.

Of course I'm hoping to get a copy of the new West issue this weekend.

Rook

I had a trip to the local library yesterday; quite a few 2000AD books around, so I grabbed The Complete America and Judge Anderson: Shamballa. Have started reading the latter - I hadn't come across Ranson's art before, but I like it a lot, and I like the use of lots of spiritual/religious references, one of the things which make it all very different to Dredd fare I've read...

zombemybabynow

Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

Roger Godpleton

Johnny Ryan's Prison Pit.

Comic of the decade.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

strontium71

Just started Simon Pegg's Nerd do Well.
...because I hate you.

Colin YNWA

Not wishing to be obsessive (he says typing his 3000ish post) but I do wonder if 2000ad will get a mention in that?

HOO-HAA

Mikey

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 17 October, 2010, 06:41:31 AM
Not wishing to be obsessive (he says typing his 3000ish post) but I do wonder if 2000ad will get a mention in that?

He mentioned 2000ad on Chris Moyles show the other day, and there's a strip drawn by Bisley in it too apparently. There are also sketches by Pegg, one of which he said he hoped toothy didn't sue him for as it's a direct lift (don't know of what).

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

SmallBlueThing

Taking a brief hiatus from the reality dysfunction, to enjoy 'futureworld', subtitled 'where science fiction becomes science', by prof. Mark L Brake and rev. Neil Hook, boxtree/science museum, £9.99.

If you miss all those glorious large format books and annual features from the seventies and eighties, that tried to inspire kids to be interested in science and space, complete with illustrations cribbed from movies and the pulps- then this is for you.
Only this is what all of those should have been like. I love it already, since it features flying cars, quantum theory, aliens, and much more.
And there, on page thirteen, illustrating the 'arcology' section, is the freebie giveaway subs poster of mega city one in all its glory.
Utterly magnificent book. Buy it for yourself, or your older kids. Or buy two.
SBT

nev

DrRocka

Big Man: the Clarence Clemons story, and The Annotated Mona Lisa. Both rather fine.
Never ever bloody anything ever

noodles

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 15 October, 2010, 10:36:10 AM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 15 October, 2010, 10:26:56 AM
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 15 October, 2010, 08:52:15 AM
Quote from: noodles on 14 October, 2010, 09:35:54 PM
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 25 September, 2010, 04:19:24 PM
Quote from: noodles on 24 September, 2010, 01:50:24 PM

Just finished 'Life of Pi' -absolutely magical... Now going onto 'Captain Correlli's Mandolin'

Thats some fine reading right there. 'Life of Pi' is possibly my favourite book ever.

What else would you recommend?

Anything by Kurt Vonnegut or Paul Auster for starters.

And if Vonnegut & Auster float your boat, try some John Irving, especially A Prayer for Owen Meaney (one of my all time faves) and The World according to Garp.

Funnily enough almost out John Irving on my short list!

I've read a few Vonnegut novels and 'New York Trilogy' by Auster -by means of further coincidence, my missus recommended 'Moon Palace' by Auster just the other day!

The piece of reading that's affected me the most though is still 'The Road' -as bleak, as black and as nihilistic as it gets. That reminds me, I need to refresh my Prozac prescription...

Paul faplad Finch

I'm reading Nerd Do Well and there is indeed a 2000ad reference. Blink and you'll miss it but it is at least  very positive.

As for the comedy bits, if any of them are a direct 2000ad steal I've not spotted it so far but then if it's old school I probably won't.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

radiator

Got Nerd Do Well, too. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I'm really enjoying it so far - Pegg comes across as still being very down to earth, despite his success. The Bisley contribution is a single pen and ink illustration rather that a strip, but sadly it's visibly pixellated and low-res as presented in the book.

In audiobooks, The Amber Spyglass is all but finished - the ending was tedious and massively long-winded - even more so than I remembered. Speaking of long-winded, I've got all seven Harry Potter books (as read by Stephen Fry) cued up as a replacement to listen to when I'm out jogging - I've seen the movies many times, but only read each of the novels once before, so have forgotten a lot of the minor subplots that didn't make the cut.