Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theblazeuk

Quote from: sauchie on 26 June, 2013, 01:35:07 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 20 June, 2013, 11:08:12 PM
Mongol (2007).  Absolutely splendid stuff

Agreed! Genghis Khan is a fascinating figure and although a little romanticised, the movie does a good job of popularising some of the finer details of history that are often obscured by the perception of a vicious barbarian tyrant.

QuoteI'm sure that actor who played that big vamp at the start was the same guy who played Sex Machine in From Dusk Til Dawn.

Tom Savini! The special effects man on the original Living Dead series (the Romero ones of course) and the director of the colour remake of Night of The Living Dead. He was indeed sex machine

Mardroid

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 02 July, 2013, 11:04:53 AM
QuoteI'm sure that actor who played that big vamp at the start was the same guy who played Sex Machine in From Dusk Til Dawn.

Tom Savini! The special effects man on the original Living Dead series (the Romero ones of course) and the director of the colour remake of Night of The Living Dead. He was indeed sex machine

Ah yes. Thank you Charlie.

I suddenly realised I got a name mixed up in my previous post when I said:

QuoteCorey is described as 'nearly 18'

Please substitute 'Corey' for 'Nicole'. Corey is of course the first name of two of the male actors in these films rather than the name of that female character. How embarrassing. (In my defence 'Corey' strikes me as a feminine name, address but still a stupid mix-up.)

I stayed up late to watch the third film in the trilogy last night: The Lost Boys:The Thirst.
I said I didn't mind The Tribe, and I stand by that, but I think this one was better. It wasn't a retelling of the first film story for one thing. In fact I'd go as far as to say I thought it rather good! The whole vampire Rave thing was done before in the Blade films but not quite like this.

It IS very silly in places, but it's supposed to be, and it mostly works, particularly as the silliest character in these films (and the only one to appear in all of them, not including backflashes) Edgar Frog takes central stage. It's cheesy fun with a different kind of story [spoiler]with a somewhat predicted but satisfying twist at the end[/spoiler]. And endearing sidekicks too.

There are strong elements of comedy in all these films and I think it's even stronger here. I certainly wouldn't want all my horror films to be like this, but this was a fun outing.

Tiplodocus

CARS 2
Bizarelly, despite a general love for all things Pixar, I'd not seen this before. It's very different in tone to the first film (much more of a globe trotting, rip roaring adventure) and suffers from a phone-in (even by his standards) performance from Michael Caine but still good stuff. And a great fun score.

I may have been making a cup of tea when this was explained but; Was Allinall real? If so, wouldn't that just make you as much money as an oil field?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Radbacker

Atlantic Rim, yes you read that right ATLANTIC RIM (is there even an Atlantic Rim?).  These Asylum Mockbuster are just getting so atrocious i swear this movies 'script' was made up on the fly by the 'actors'. The FX look like a PS1 game and unfortunatly just bad bad bad, not so bad it's good, one day Asylum might hit the mark but not with this one.  God just imagine if you hired this from a vid store or worse yet brought a copy, i suppose it'd make an alright coaster.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2740710/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

CU Radbacker

Buttonman

The Reef - not a band bio-pic but some people being eaten by a shark.

Mabs

Quote from: Radbacker on 03 July, 2013, 08:38:30 AM
Atlantic Rim, yes you read that right ATLANTIC RIM (is there even an Atlantic Rim?).  These Asylum Mockbuster are just getting so atrocious i swear this movies 'script' was made up on the fly by the 'actors'. The FX look like a PS1 game and unfortunatly just bad bad bad, not so bad it's good, one day Asylum might hit the mark but not with this one.  God just imagine if you hired this from a vid store or worse yet brought a copy, i suppose it'd make an alright coaster.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2740710/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

CU Radbacker

I saw that for £3 at my local Sainsbury's. By the sound of it, it seems like a good idea that I didn't waste my money it!
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Mabs

Quote from: Buttonman on 03 July, 2013, 09:46:46 PM

The Reef may be crap, but your review makes me want to watch it all the same!  :D
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

sheldipez

Quote from: Mabs on 03 July, 2013, 11:04:46 PM
Quote from: Buttonman on 03 July, 2013, 09:46:46 PM

The Reef may be crap, but your review makes me want to watch it all the same!  :D

If I may offer a counter opinion; I liked the Reef especially over Open Water which did nothing for me and that's saying something from someone who has a terrible fear of water (can't even bring myself to go swimming with my kids).

I'll never forget the lights coming back on in the cinema after Open Water as three dozen people look at one another as to say "was that it?!".

Buttonman

Get those toes wet sheldipez! Big difference between endless shark infested waters and the local pool.

Thanks for the comments - I felt that 'Open Water' 1 & 2 got there first and this offered nothing new and I lacked any empathy for the poorly sketched characters.

Open water had a naked lady and a greater sence of isolation and desperation. I liked the ending where [spoiler]the woman just gave up and decided to fall beneath the waves[/spoiler]. Obviously the filmakers made that bit up but what else can they do for a dramatic ending?

Spikes

Scum (1979).
This film will be familar to most, but ive not seen it in an age - again despite owning the DVD.
Caught it on ITV4 last night. And tonight ill be digging out my old double disc DVD, to re-watch the BBC TV version from 1977.

SuperSurfer

Quote from: Judge Jack on 04 July, 2013, 04:14:20 PM
Scum (1979).
This film will be familar to most, but ive not seen it in an age - again despite owning the DVD.
Caught it on ITV4 last night. And tonight ill be digging out my old double disc DVD, to re-watch the BBC TV version from 1977.
I did a book review on that when at school. As a kid I had two fears: nuclear war and ending up in a borstal. (Not that I was going to get into much mischief staying indoors drawing comics – which was how I spent my youth).

Hang on – I didn't know there was a Scum tv version.

Spikes

Yeah, the BBC production, from 1977 - was banned and went unshown for 14 years, is the original version - and shares a similar cast and crew.
Director Alan Clarke did the Theatrical version in 1979 as well. If the original play hadnt been banned, then we probably wouldnt have got the film version, i guess.
Didnt something similar happen for Brimstone and Treacle?

The DVD release i have (from 2005) contains both versions, plus some decent extras - commentary from Phi Daniels and Ray Winstone, etc. Cheap enough on E-Bay, at present.

Frank

Quote from: Judge Jack on 04 July, 2013, 04:41:30 PM
Didnt something similar happen for Brimstone and Treacle?

Aye, it wasn't broadcast until a decade after it was made. Which is criminal, because it's one of the best bits of telly I've ever seen, and Potter seems to have been largely written out of history. Scum's great, and it terrified me too - even though borstals were long gone by the time I saw the film. Just the word sounds intimidatingly onomatopoeic; possibly a synonym for what goes on in the film's most memorable scene.

Odd to think how censorious TV once was, when no episode of Shameless or Boardwalk Empire is complete without two or more folk giving each other a raw rattling.

Spikes

Quote from: sauchie on 04 July, 2013, 05:26:04 PM

Aye, it wasn't broadcast until a decade after it was made. Which is criminal, because it's one of the best bits of telly I've ever seen

Odd to think how censorious TV once was

If im recalling correctly, there was a series in the mid-80's that showed all these banned productions; Scum, Brimstone, The War Game etc.
And i dont think ive see the TV version of Brimstone since then, so a cheers apiece for Sauchie, and for You-Tube.
And thats a good looking copy of Brimstone on YouTube. Is this available on disc somewhere i wonder?

Professor Bear

First Blood - the original Rambo outing and despite him being the protagonist, there's no clear indication that he isn't completely fucking terrifying.  Despite being an arsehole, Brian Dennehy's sheriff is kind of sympathetic as his only crime is not being diplomatic in getting a hobo to move on and suddenly his mate's dead and there's an armed madman on the loose.  It tries to go all action romp on us, but the lack of a clear protagonist makes it difficult, and Rambo's breakdown is an early showing of the cracks in the action hero facade that acknowledges that someone capable of this kind of thing can't be right in the head.  It is an oddly moral film, however, that doesn't equate murder as a proportionate response to oppression, with Rambo going off in chains at the end to take his (hopefully literal) medicine rather than go out in the blaze of glory one would expect.
It's dated in terms of the setting, but still holds up really well.

Rambo: First Blood part 2 - typical liberals!  A madman holds a town hostage, murders a police officer and declares war on the US, and does he get the chair?  Does he fuck - three years in a cushy prison where gets out in the fresh air all the time and gets to play with dynamite before the president hands him a pardon - you couldn't make it up!  Except of course it's a screenplay so somebody actually did.
Away from the cultural impact of the film and giving us the title character's name as a synonym for machismo, it's easy to forget how fantastic an action film this actually is, or how outrageous it can get at times with stuff like Rambo having a mid-air wrestling match in a helicopter with a Soviet version of the Hulk, or the pilot seeing Rambo coming for him and deciding he'd sooner fancy his chances with the drop, or even the fact that Rambo's deal is that he's a warrior frustrated by his side losing a war so ten years later he goes back and wins and for good measure fucks up the Soviets while he's at it, and it's all done so straight-faced that the title character's "I will never not love America" speech at the end never comes off as even remotely tongue-in-cheek, on this viewing serving as an admirable expression of idealism and community that gives a parody of masculinity some gravitas and character sadly lacking in his cinematic descendants.
I really enjoyed this - it's a fun romp whose corny but unforced sincerity makes it easy to see how it spawned a cartoon series.