Main Menu

ROY OF THE ROVERS SUMMER SPECIAL 2020

Started by SmallBlueThing(Reborn), 09 June, 2020, 01:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

This arrived today, as part of the offer that apparently results in me getting a lot more concs than I bargained for. I may have squealed a bit with delight when I saw it on the mat.

Now, i don't like football and I never have. Even as a kid it never interested me in any way at all. As a result of this, I've never bought an issue of Roy of the Rovers in my life. Actually, that may be a slight lie, as I seem to remember a special (which may have been Tiger now I come to think about it) concentrating on a Red Indian Wrestler, or something- and that may have had some Roy Race in it
Can't remember, but the point is I've not knowingly bought the comic, ever, and even my usual desire to "support the industry" hasn't made me pick up any of Rebellion's rebooted graphic novels. Because, you know, football.

I dont want to make this a long post- but let me say this very clearly: this Special is magnificent. Not only does it contain two frankly rather excellent new comic strips, which I will talk about in a sec, but also two very funny Ken Reid one-pagers, a text story that I didnt think I'd read but then did and enjoyed immensely, three brief Q&A interviews (with writer Rob William's, novelist Tom Palmer and classic RotR artist David Sque) and an overview of the character's career playing for the national team, which gloriously never comments on his absurdly long life as a professional footballer). Throughout, its richly illustrated with covers and panels from classic issues- and the upshot of all that was I very much want to read those stories now. Good job there's an ad for the collected 'Best of the 50s/ 60s/ 70s' volumes so I know where to find them. And I think I will.

But the real standout aspect, for me, was the way in which the current coronavirus is referenced throughout. It drives the stories (and makes the text piece unexpectedly poignant). Is this the first time the current situation has been used in a piece of contemporary fiction, excluding last night's first Emmerdale lockdown episode?

And it immediately altered my expectation of the strips. The first page of the main strip especially- with its cranes on the skyline, low angles and destroyed building in the background (the club ground?) As the characters talk about "lockdown" and "travel restrictions" is more like some dystopian Action strip from the seventies than what I had assumed this Summer Special would be.

The scripts, for both stories, is clever and at times melancholic, and had no trouble maintaining my interest despite, as I may have mentioned, my disinterest in the sport. The art, by Elkys Nova, John Charles & Lindemburgh Mendes (on Euro Adventure) and David Sque (on Old School) is fun and clean and at times quite beautiful. Our own Jim Campbell provides letters throughout, and as is usual, they are unobtrusive and give that extra flow to the story.

A complete surprise,then, all told. At £4.99 I'd say it was worth a punt of anyone's money. Even if you dont like football. Oddly perhaps most of all, it stands as a commemoration of this global pandemic and its affect on us all.

And yes, I will now buy the back issues of this reboot. Damn you Rebellion.

SBT

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Why is there no edit function? "Concs"? Comics!

Colin YNWA

We have the first three graphic albums and they are really good fun, I'd highly recommend them.

IndigoPrime

I've not read mine yet, and it looks good, but I was a bit disappointed to see Rocky relegated to a text story. This would have been a good opportunity to give her another run in strip form.

Professor Bear

Rebellion are missing a trick with Rocky, as "sock-er" is surprisingly popular with young women in the US since their World Cup showing.

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 09 June, 2020, 01:45:51 PMNow, i don't like football and I never have.

I grew up in a house where everyone supported Spurs, so I can relate.

broodblik

I am also a non-footballer, I do not like the sport. But let us be honest the special was great, I enjoyed it and will recommend it to anyone.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Professor Bear

This is an internet forum dedicated to a 43 year-old sci-fi comic.  In retrospect, "I don't like football" was never likely to be high on a list of controversial opinions.

Bolt-01

I thoroughly enjoyed this. Congrats to the entire creative team for possibly my favourite special of the year so far.

Daveycandlish

Heartily recommended, if only to see David Sque back on art duties (which is why I bought it)
I haven't read the recent relaunch of Roy of the Rovers so I was nicely surprised to see a number of the old characters making an appearance. It made me want to catch up on the other adventures of the new Roy which may have been the idea!
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Colin YNWA

The boy has fallen out of love with Roy of the Rovers which is a real shame as I really enjoy it. We've fallen behind on the albums but having read this I really must catch up. Its immense fun. It knows its audience and it crafts its tale well.

The extra features are all solidly entertaining reads.

The only problem with it is its bloody annoyed me that once again I haven't bought the Special bundle thinking I'd pick and choose what I bought this year and will end up buying them all anyway!

AlexF

Colin, I hear you on that one! I really thought a bunch of the specials weren't going to be for me but here I am, parting with my cash.
Got the Roy special through the post yesterday, anyone else get theirs bagged with a poster of a random pop group?
I say 'pop group', they're wearing black and have the name 'Creeper' so possibly metal.

It's all popular music though innit? Pretty sure they're not a 6-piece wind band.

Haven't actually read the special, it is safely mangled under the arms of a ten-year old who knows the value of enjoying a good comic without caring if the pages get all ripped up.

M.I.K.

Quote from: AlexF on 17 June, 2020, 01:23:01 PM
Got the Roy special through the post yesterday, anyone else get theirs bagged with a poster of a random pop group?
I say 'pop group', they're wearing black and have the name 'Creeper' so possibly metal.

No, but prog 2185 came with a picture of some well-groomed Japanese chap sticking his tongue out with the words "Best International Band ONE OK ROCK" beneath him.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: AlexF on 17 June, 2020, 01:23:01 PM

Which is weird as so was mine and I think it was the same band?

sheridan

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 09 June, 2020, 01:45:51 PM
Now, i don't like football and I never have. Even as a kid it never interested me in any way at all. As a result of this, I've never bought an issue of Roy of the Rovers in my life. Actually, that may be a slight lie, as I seem to remember a special (which may have been Tiger now I come to think about it) concentrating on a Red Indian Wrestler, or something- and that may have had some Roy Race in it

Tiger had a character called Johnny Cougar who, at the time, was described as a 'red indian' (and even worse names) - that's probably who you're thinking of!

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Quote from: sheridan on 17 June, 2020, 03:35:55 PM

Tiger had a character called Johnny Cougar who, at the time, was described as a 'red indian' (and even worse names) - that's probably who you're thinking of!

Yep, that's the guy. Strangely small pants if I remember.

SBT