Main Menu

That Twitter thread… You know the one

Started by broodblik, 21 November, 2020, 07:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

Quote from: Super Mario on 24 November, 2020, 08:43:11 AM
He hillariously keeps talking about how spacewarp is targeted at a youth audience except it's a black and white self published book that he's selling exclusively to people who follow him on social media.

I cannot see that Spacewarp will work for today's young ones. The regen progs is closer to what the target audience want. B/W strips are "old school" and most people today want their comics to be in colour. It is for all those nostalgic 2000AD readers; that can remember with fondness Nemesis and co.

I am also at this point where I lost any respect for uncle Pat, you just do not bad-mouth the people in your industry.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Barrington Boots

Quote from: CalHab on 24 November, 2020, 08:36:49 AM
The Simon Bowland thing was awful. Bowland's point was a reasonable one and politely put. It certainly didn't merit that response (or Dan McDaid piling on). The whole thing was just depressing. I give Pat Mills a lot of slack, but my respect for the man took a real hammering yesterday.

Vey much this.
I just feel really disappointed.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Rately

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 24 November, 2020, 09:21:26 AM
Quote from: CalHab on 24 November, 2020, 08:36:49 AM
The Simon Bowland thing was awful. Bowland's point was a reasonable one and politely put. It certainly didn't merit that response (or Dan McDaid piling on). The whole thing was just depressing. I give Pat Mills a lot of slack, but my respect for the man took a real hammering yesterday.

Vey much this.
I just feel really disappointed.

Agreed. So sad to see him tearing strips off of people who are respectfully disagreeing.

The Brendan McCarthy thing is equally disappointing, to see someone who produces such incredible work put forth such ugly, divisive views. Having seen snippets of his FB and Twitter posts over the year, it is just another sad moment when I realise that some of the people who produce the stuff I most value, and cherish, are terrible arseholes.

IndigoPrime

I note Mills couldn't resist adding the Hachette Finn decision to his anti-Rebellion thinking. Then a 2000 AD scribe noted that, given everything going on in the UK right now, Finn's... narrative position on certain topics—Jewish tropes, say— probably doesn't make it the smartest book to put out there.

As for Spacewarp, he seems buoyed by people sending him photos of their kids holding issues. Fair enough if it does find that audience and there is a point to be made about comics accessibility these days. They are expensive. They lack grit. But I'm also getting increasingly miffed with people who mistake inclusivity for regression and being "woke". Still: all of this is his call and feels calculated. He's best hope when the dust settles abs he offers 2000 AD another series of Defoe or ABC Warriors that the then Tharg doesn't say no thanks.

dweezil2

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 24 November, 2020, 09:38:06 AM
I note Mills couldn't resist adding the Hachette Finn decision to his anti-Rebellion thinking. Then a 2000 AD scribe noted that, given everything going on in the UK right now, Finn's... narrative position on certain topics—Jewish tropes, say— probably doesn't make it the smartest book to put out there.

I thought that I read that Finn was due for a reprint sometime in the future, or am I misremembering?
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

judgeurko

Pat Mills oh dear. Is he unwell? I also wonder if Spacewarp isn't quite the success he hoped & he's now lashing out as some bizarre form of publicity. Whatever the reason sad to see all this & very hard to defend his rants.

TordelBack

Quote from: dweezil2 on 24 November, 2020, 09:47:31 AM

I thought that I read that Finn was due for a reprint sometime in the future, or am I misremembering?

Yeah, I thought Finn was slated for the Ultimate Collection extension-extension? I personally wouldn't be eager to see it thrust into the light, as it's one of my least favourite of his strips*. Not quite Greysuit, but getting there.

Note: this isn't knocking Pat's work, he holds by far the lion's share of my comics shelves: just don't care for those two.

Professor Bear

The forum is cancelling Pat Mills?  It must be a Tuesday.

judgeurko

Quote from: Professor Bear on 24 November, 2020, 10:38:07 AM
No it isn't cancelling him.

Super Mario

No? I think everyone would welcome Mills writing for the prog. He made his own decision to take his ball and run off.

I just think he's completely full of it. There's no way he's regularly reading Dredd and his comments about other writers' contributions to the strip are well off the mark. He's obviously entitled to his opinion (although it is transparently a made up one) but there's no need for him to be rude towards other contributors.

All he is doing is peacocking to his wee group of admirers, who are lapping it up, and it's all a bit pathetic.

dweezil2

Quote from: TordelBack on 24 November, 2020, 10:28:35 AM
Quote from: dweezil2 on 24 November, 2020, 09:47:31 AM

Yeah, I thought Finn was slated for the Ultimate Collection extension-extension? I personally wouldn't be eager to see it thrust into the light, as it's one of my least favourite of his strips*. Not quite Greysuit, but getting there.

Note: this isn't knocking Pat's work, he holds by far the lion's share of my comics shelves: just don't care for those two.

Oh, I rather liked Greysuit, it had enough MACH-1 stylings, gonzo WTF moments and fantastic John Higgins art to appeal to me and it's quintessential Pat Mills in my opinion.
Was rather fond of Finn back in the day too, in the Prog, so a collection would save me going through my old comic boxes.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

IndigoPrime

Quote from: TordelBack on 24 November, 2020, 10:28:35 AMYeah, I thought Finn was slated for the Ultimate Collection extension-extension?
Yes: it's down for 112–140 at some point. But given some of the tropes within, it's perhaps not the smartest inclusion. But there you go.

As for cancelling, I can only assume Professor Bear was joking, unless he's Lawrence Fox in disguise or something.

JayzusB.Christ

I liked some of those Wanderer stories, like Carnival, Murderball and so on. It does seem like Slaine's story has been told, but they were still enjoyable. Slaine stories didn't always have to be epic and massively consequential - Sky Chariots was great, of course, but so were the Beast ones (Time, Shoggy and In the Broch).
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

Quote from: Professor Bear on 24 November, 2020, 10:38:07 AM

I don't think that's the case, ever. It's a discussion, almost every post of which (correctly) states the position "Pat Mills is amazing, we owe him so much, wish he wasn't leaving, but wish him success", but goes on to add "also wish he wasn't being mean about 2000AD and fellow creatives". I don't think the two ideas are incomPatible.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 24 November, 2020, 11:15:49 AM
Quote from: TordelBack on 24 November, 2020, 10:28:35 AMYeah, I thought Finn was slated for the Ultimate Collection extension-extension?
Yes: it's down for 112–140 at some point. But given some of the tropes within, it's perhaps not the smartest inclusion. But there you go.

As for cancelling, I can only assume Professor Bear was joking, unless he's Lawrence Fox in disguise or something.

Aye, any time the Bear sounds like Katie Hopkin, we can usually assume he's taking the piss. I seem to remember that he and semi-troll Godpleton (RIP) have at least been in each other's company.

I remember the Freemason stuff but I can't remember the Jewish tropes in Finn -,must likely I didn't get them at the time. Could yous remind me? The small-town Irish gossip hound in me is also dying to know who this Christian was that sparked the bizarre exchange with Brendan McCarthy.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"