Main Menu

Prog 2223 - The Root Of All Evil

Started by Goosegash, 14 March, 2021, 12:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolt-01

The finale isn't is 2225 - There is a Terror Tale, though :)

Jacqusie

Quote from: Max Headroom on 23 March, 2021, 07:51:10 PM
I must agree with Jacqusie that I preferred McConville's take on Devlin to Kot's... the whole 'Demon in a Dildo' thing has become a bit ridiculous.

...aand that's why having stopped the Meg, I won't really miss the next series when there will be 10 episodes of it!  :)

Barrington Boots

Maybe there is no Slaine final episode, just endless speculation as to when it will appear and therefore a big middle finger to all who of us who said it'd got boring and wanted it to end.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

broodblik

More from his twitter on the subject:

I should add that on all my stories I edit against the artwork. Sometimes on Slaine this is cos Leo may move things around, or the theme needs stressing & so on. On the last episode, I took extra care because it was the finale. I felt the character and the readers deserved it.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

I winder how much air time his positive attitude towards the Regened will get in some quarters. He's not saying it will succeed but he certainly seems to admire the desire.

QuoteThey're trying to reach the youth audience with Regened and maybe other things - for which they should be commended. Whether they succeed or not, at least they're trying.

IndigoPrime

It was nice to see that—and his positive words about Matt Smith. But he also branded Rebellion as "profit first and creativity second", which is quite something. If Rebellion only cared about profit, it wouldn't take any risks, and that slew of specials and niche reprint—a chunk of which is Mills's work—definitely sits in the 'risk' category.

If nothing else, I do hope Sláine ends well and naturally. It'd also be nice if Savage got a conclusion, but I won't hold my breath, because it seems like Mills is done with 2000 AD for good.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 25 March, 2021, 02:10:35 PM
It was nice to see that—and his positive words about Matt Smith. But he also branded Rebellion as "profit first and creativity second", which is quite something. If Rebellion only cared about profit, it wouldn't take any risks, and that slew of specials and niche reprint—a chunk of which is Mills's work—definitely sits in the 'risk' category.

If nothing else, I do hope Sláine ends well and naturally. It'd also be nice if Savage got a conclusion, but I won't hold my breath, because it seems like Mills is done with 2000 AD for good.

Yeah his view of Rebellion seemed to be tempered positivity - which has always seemed a balanced view given they will never see eye to eye (I imagine) on creators rights - but its in stark contrast to how his view is portrayed in some sections.

It will be a real shame if Savage doesn't get a send off - for me its been the absolute pinicale of Uncle Pat's recent work - but if he hasn't the time or energy for that at least we have the healthy chunk that we have.

One thing I will say having read his Twitter feed over lunch is agree or disagree (or be a lot of both as in my case) he sure makes that feed a compelling read!

broodblik

He also has some other positives to say about Rebellion:

So that endless readers have said 'I gave up on 2000AD in mid to late 90s.' I've written previously on reasons for this & how Rebellion rescued 2000AD.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Leigh S

Yeah in the quoted tweak he states it wasnt a huge rewrite as the story had reached a point he could natuarally end it... Having reread parts 1-9 last night, it is certainly building to a climax and I can see how this fits being the final arc of Slaine, but not how you could wrap everything up withoout a further few episodes at least  - we have a lot of newly introduced protagonists; Slough Gorm, Alban, Brutus, Innogen, the students we see escape in part 9 even - if there are just 6 pages (hoping for 12, but not expecting it), to wrap up all those threads AND Slaine's story seems a pretty big ask... we shall see in two weeks time now!

Barrington Boots

My money is on a Mean Team style ending. Slaine is victorious and then in the final panel a dragon flies down from out of nowhere and kills him.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

broodblik

I can not see that even this arc can be properly completely within 6 pages but it is something I am now looking forward to see how it ends.

wedgeski

It was nice to see that—and his positive words about Matt Smith. But he also branded Rebellion as "profit first and creativity second", which is quite something. If Rebellion only cared about profit, it wouldn't take any risks, and that slew of specials and niche reprint—a chunk of which is Mills's work—definitely sits in the 'risk' category.
I just can't get on his side when he lobs out jabs like that. Is there a Rebellion-hating audience he's trying to pander to with those kinds of comments?

GordonR

Quote from: wedgeski on 25 March, 2021, 04:32:05 PM
I just can't get on his side when he lobs out jabs like that. Is there a Rebellion-hating audience he's trying to pander to with those kinds of comments?

You're obviously not on Facebook, then.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: broodblik on 25 March, 2021, 02:23:19 PM
He also has some other positives to say about Rebellion:

So that endless readers have said 'I gave up on 2000AD in mid to late 90s.' I've written previously on reasons for this & how Rebellion rescued 2000AD.

Of course, the small problem with this (unless he's recently resiled from his "it was all Bishop & Diggle's fault" position) is that he's objectively wrong about why 2000AD lost most of its readers and, although he's right that Rebellion saved the comic (for reasons I've banged on about at tedious length), it's hard to make the argument that Andy Diggle was simultaneously killing the comic whilst Rebellion was saving it, since Andy's formal accession to Thargship happened on almost the same day that the Rebellion buyout became official.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

IndigoPrime

Also: Rebellion saved the comic through finally being an owner that loved it, but also only cares about profit and doesn't care about creativity, although Matt Smith is a great editor. I mean, those things aren't mutually exclusive, but you need to do a bit of mental gymnastics to make it all fit.

And, yeah, as Gordon says, there are plenty of people on Facebook who claim to be fans of 2000 AD and seem to think Rebellion is useless through not making something for today's kids that's exactly the same as what they enjoyed 40 years ago. Some of them merrily scan this forum, shooting screen grabs for their collections, and pointing out to creators like Pat Mills when anyone here is critical of him. (I they omit any of the reverse, because they prefer shit-stirring to balance.)