Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Why does every discussion on this thread end up being about statism versus anarchism? No offence to anyone's views - in fact I lean more towards the latter myself - but it just seems that every time we start discussing actual current affairs we're just put back on the endless merry-go-round.

Sorry to rant but the truth is I'm losing interest in what was once an interesting thread.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 25 September, 2019, 07:50:32 PM
It's the same basic democratic process, so it must be reasonable, no?

Well Pat did try to warn of us of the tyranny of the Reader's Poll voting slip...

It's not so much a false equivalence as the fact that I'm happy to delegate my individual 2000AD editorial duties to the office of Tharg and rely on his expertise (and then moan about his choices). I don't want to edit the GGC, I want to read it. So I pay my weekly Groats and am happy with the system.

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ
link=topic=28209.msg1014234#msg1014234
date=1569438857
Why does every discussion
on this thread end up being about statism
versus anarchism? No offence to anyone's
views - in fact I lean more towards the latter
myself - but it just seems that every time we
start discussing actual current affairs we're
just put back on the endless merry-go-round.
Sorry to rant but the truth is I'm losing
interest in what was once an interesting
thread.

I'm sorry. I just feel passionately about it.

Tell you what, as a show of good faith, I'll refrain from posting here for the next month, after which I'll try to tone it down a bit.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

I feel bad now; I don't want to silence anyone's views.  The truth is I was interested in what was happening with Johnson and parliament and came here to see what other boarders made of it, but i find the same old argument that's been played out here a thousand times before and will clearly never be resolved.

Maybe it's me that should avoid the thread, not you, Sharky. After all, well, it's your thread.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Professor Bear

What do we make of Johnson?  Getting Brexit done is what Jo Cox would have wanted, he says.
Honestly don't know what to say about that - certainly not since the forum banned the only word I would consider useful or accurate.

He also really really wants a general election now.  Can't imagine why a man who's just been forced to reconvene Parliament would want to undertake a venture that requires the dissolution of Parliament for the exact same amount of time he just tried to prorogue it - I guess it must be some deep and well thought-out strategy we couldn't possibly grasp in a million years.
Either way, it doesn't seem like anyone's biting - the SNP have already expressly ruled it out until after A50 has been extended so I suppose we're just waiting for the LibDems to shit the bed.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Professor Bear on 25 September, 2019, 10:32:41 PM
What do we make of Johnson?  Getting Brexit done is what Jo Cox would have wanted, he says.
Honestly don't know what to say about that - certainly not since the forum banned the only word I would consider useful or accurate.

Sweet jesus, this is the first I've heard of this. What an absolute James Blunt, as you say.

karlos

BoJo is scum.  Simple as.

Never wanted to kick my TV in more than i did watching him and his cronies last night.

Good God, it was stomach churning.

JayzusB.Christ

It's funny how quickly his mask has slipped now he's got the power he's always craved.  There's barely a trace of the old bumbling, shaggy-haired panel show host left now.  It's boorish, ruthless aggression all the way. Even his own siblings have spoken out against him.

Johnson news has become as interesting as Trump news, and not in a good way.

karlos

Exactly. His real face, attitude and general unpleasantness has been revealed in record time.

And he clearly doesn't care.

I read about what he was really like over a decade ago, and it stuck.

Since then, I always found the "bumbling clown" persona off.

And now we all can see.

Professor Bear

In many ways, Johnson is exactly like his hero, Winston Churchill - and I don't just mean he's a bloodthirsty racist, I mean his public persona keeps everyone distracted so he gets on with shitting on the poor and non-whites.  This is all theater and still there are no consequences in sight.
His sister was on the radio today saying we should have a bit of sympathy for him as he's under a lot of pressure to deliver Brexit from the people who've invested in there being a short pound*.  Poor fella.

* insert joke about Johnson's mistresses here.

Rately

Eddie Mair had the measure of him years ago.

A revolting person. No morals, empathy or decency.

Professor Bear

The BBC now uncritically platforming far right extremists calling for riots.
Still, "both sides", eh?

JayzusB.Christ

From no Northern Ireland border to two of them.  Nice one, Johnson.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

The worst single moment of all this for me was the Truss interview yesterday, where the UK Trade Secretary admitted in an interview that despite confirming that the UK would leave without a deal on 31st Oct, she didn't now how, "but even if I did, I wouldn't tell you". Your government admits it doesn't know what it's doing about the most significant event since WWII, and even if it did isn't going to tell you. Democracy, everyone!

Politicians do tend to set a low bar for competence, but if there was ever a more stupifyingly vapid collection of dishonest charlatans shoehorned into a cabinet, I didn't hear about it.