Main Menu

*** Prog 2000 ***

Started by Dash Decent, 08 September, 2016, 03:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: Richard on 24 September, 2016, 06:08:53 PM
Don't try to over-think Dredd. We don't really need to know why all these Cal clones are around so many years later, just go with it. (Incidentally, this story is the first time Dredd has actually killed Cal himself -- previously that was Fergee and Darien McKenzie.)

Hmm, Fergee killed actual Cal, Darien killed alternate-universe Cal, Dredd just offed a bunch of Cal clones (Calones?)

As for the date 2220, while that's a bit further in the future than I'd expected to see, it's not so implausible. If Alpha was aged around, say, 20 when we first met him in 2180, then he'd only be about 60 in this story, or even younger given that he was dead for ten years.

It seemed fairly clear to me, on first reading, that "Time job.  Offer's been circulating on the flux." meant it wasn't necessarily being offered in Alpha's time, but in his (as well as Dredd's) future.

sheridan

Quote from: glassstanley on 24 September, 2016, 07:17:36 PM
Loved the end of Sinister Dexter.

So, does that mean that people in the universe that S and D now find themselves can remember things which happened to their alternate selves?

sheridan

Quote from: inkymonkey on 25 September, 2016, 01:16:30 PM
Quote from: Darren Stephens on 24 September, 2016, 10:59:45 AM
So, mine just arrived. Not read it yet, as this is to be savoured, but the artwork thoughout is stunning. ( I must say, though, even with all these legends present....Mark Sexton. You sir, are amazing!)  :D

Cheers Darren! It was an absolute blast doing the story, and quite frankly I still can't believe I was asked to do something for Prog 2000. All hail the Mighty One!

Good work, inkymonkey / Mark - have a great time signing on Saturday!

sheridan

Quote from: Leigh S on 24 September, 2016, 04:14:14 PM
I agree with Frank about how Dredd and Stront fit together - Dredds world is Strotns past, but Dredd doesnt necessarily have to follow that future, as we have seen in various other time travel Dredd shananigans.  As for Dredds world becoming Alphas?  Well there is the Great War of 2150 to knock out most Mega Cities - look how Day of Chaos has already started to eat away at the majesty of the Judge's Empire.

We don't see too much of Earth in Alpha's time - we know that Brit-Cit is no more, and that Britain is more like an irradiated version of the island in our own time.  We know that Antarctica is a jungle city.  I can't remember much else as most of it was set off-planet.  MC1 could still be there, in some form.

Nemesis was interesting, seeing as it is set

I liked it enough, though think I preferred the previous ending more  enough good moments in this six-pages for me to ignore that though.

Steve Green

artdroid Roach

Quote from: sheridan on 28 September, 2016, 10:06:27 PM
Quote from: artdroid Roach on 24 September, 2016, 02:53:52 PM
Thank you so much, that's very kind of you.
You've been gone from the pages of the prog for too long (though good to see the life drawings you post on facebook).
My Strip sort of incorporates some of my life-drawing style in a few panels, and thanks for the kind words- it was so much fun to play around with these characters again. I'll definitely do more if I get asked again.

sheridan

Quote from: Steve Green on 26 September, 2016, 01:17:18 PM
Umpty Candy was mentioned by Smoking Joe the robot sent to Verdus, he kept offering out imaginary sweets.

To me, that belongs in the same camp as Dan Dare using the word Drokk (and, indeed, Sam Slade using the same word).  See also Smiling Chuckwallas in both Blackhawk and Strontium Dog.

It is all pointless, but if people get as much enjoyment from trying to link things together, then it's no different from the enjoyment of reading the stories as standalones.

Agree wholeheartedly (even when they're wrong :-) ).

Besides, creators like to link things - Al Ewing took the Strontium Dog future as a plot point in 'The Americans'

I'd forgotten all about that story until it cropped up in a tetris/jigsaw/reorganise the progs on the shelves task recently.

sheridan

Quote from: artdroid Roach on 26 September, 2016, 11:32:03 PM
Quote from: The Monarch on 26 September, 2016, 12:23:22 PM
Really good prog

Honestly only two complaints and they are minor. The derailing of the original ending to nemesis and the fact i want more david roach guess i'll just have to wait for the mega collection version of engram or dr who
I'm sure if you ask Tharg very nicely he'll invite me back!

I'm going to stray from the common consensus and request that he program the Mills droid to write Purity's Story II...

artdroid Roach

Quote from: sheridan on 28 September, 2016, 11:44:00 PM
Quote from: artdroid Roach on 26 September, 2016, 11:32:03 PM
Quote from: The Monarch on 26 September, 2016, 12:23:22 PM
Really good prog

Honestly only two complaints and they are minor. The derailing of the original ending to nemesis and the fact i want more david roach guess i'll just have to wait for the mega collection version of engram or dr who
I'm sure if you ask Tharg very nicely he'll invite me back!
A radical suggestion- but why not?

I'm going to stray from the common consensus and request that he program the Mills droid to write Purity's Story II...

inkymonkey

Quote from: Frank on 28 September, 2016, 06:29:05 PM
Anyone able to decipher the dedication on Matt Smith's tombstone (Sin Dex) - or spot all the reference used for Anderson? I'm sure she turns into Emma Watson at the foot of the fourth page.

It's a little hard to read, but it says "MATT SMITH - Tolerant to the End". 'Cos (so far) he's been pretty good at dealing with my emails telling him I'm running late. Though his blood pressure must go up with every message, I seriously don't know how he keeps it all running on time.

The Adventurer

Quote from: sheridan on 28 September, 2016, 09:54:19 PM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 18 September, 2016, 07:20:38 AM
Its really only an issue if you want it to be. Whatever we as individuals think the numbering should or shouldn't be its for the folk that produce the Galaxies Greatest to decide what they use, what will be marked on the cover as the Prog number and therefore what they choose to celebrate.
Except that's not strictly true - there are now two comics in existence which, at the time of publishing were called 2000AD Prog 2000, which causes problems for inventories, indexes, catalogues, auctions and the rest.

It's really not. 2000 AD Prog 2000 is different then 2000 AD #2000. We call them 'Progs', they are just magazine issue numbers in reality.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

The Adventurer

Edit: Also, one is clearly a YEAR and the other an issue number.

Any way, I really liked Prog 2000, I thought the Dredd was fun, if a bit contrived. Nemesis a cool throw back. Rogue Trooper a bit... weak. RT really shouldn't be looking backwards IMO. Anderson also felt more like an excuse to squeeze Judge Death in. Counterfeit Girl was a cool start. But my favorite was the Sinister Dexter story, which was seriously brilliant in how it pushes things forward potentially.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Frank

Quote from: inkymonkey on 29 September, 2016, 01:30:44 AM
Anyone able to decipher the dedication on Matt Smith's tombstone (Sin Dex)

It's a little hard to read, but it says "MATT SMITH - Tolerant to the End". 'Cos (so far) he's been pretty good at dealing with my emails telling him I'm running late. Though his blood pressure must go up with every message, I seriously don't know how he keeps it all running on time.

... and I can't understand how you make a living with such a labour intensive style. Your sacrifice is much appreciated* - hopefully Tharg will keep you in value brand beans and charity shop clothing for many years to come.

Thanks very much for the clarification, Mark!

* Kev O'Neill wasn't kidding when he depicted himself as a monk, painstakingly illuminating Brother Mills's manuscript

inkymonkey

Quote from: Frank on 29 September, 2016, 07:19:30 AM
Quote from: inkymonkey on 29 September, 2016, 01:30:44 AM
Anyone able to decipher the dedication on Matt Smith's tombstone (Sin Dex)

... and I can't understand how you make a living with such a labour intensive style. Your sacrifice is much appreciated* - hopefully Tharg will keep you in value brand beans and charity shop clothing for many years to come.

Thanks very much for the clarification, Mark!

* Kev O'Neill wasn't kidding when he depicted himself as a monk, painstakingly illuminating Brother Mills's manuscript

Eh? What is this thing they call a living? ;)

TordelBack

And on a similar note Mark, what is the lower line on the Valet of the Dolls sign? Absolutely love your work, BTW.