Main Menu

*** Prog 2000 ***

Started by Dash Decent, 08 September, 2016, 03:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Quote from: user2000 on 02 October, 2016, 04:18:08 PM
do us loyal subbers even matter anymore when I gotta wait til Tuesday most weeks to have my prog delivered?

Since print subscribers post here most Saturdays, you must have figured out that's due to your sorting office*, rather than Tharg.

I'm pretty sure all sub copies are mailed at the same time. It's not like Tharg's sitting there on Thursday afternoon, licking envelopes, then thinks 'fuck it, I fancy a pint - I'll just leave user2000's till Monday'.

* I know my side of the street only gets deliveries every other day, for example - and large letters/parcels are delivered separately from bills and junk mail

user2000

Quote from: Frank on 02 October, 2016, 05:06:59 PM
do us loyal subbers even matter anymore when I gotta wait til Tuesday most weeks to have my prog delivered?

Since print subscribers post here most Saturdays, you must have figured out that's due to your sorting office*, rather than Tharg.

I'm pretty sure all sub copies are mailed at the same time. It's not like Tharg's sitting there on Thursday afternoon, licking envelopes, then thinks 'fuck it, I fancy a pint - I'll just leave user2000's till Monday'.

* I know my side of the street only gets deliveries every other day, for example - and large letters/parcels are delivered separately from bills and junk mail

I would say that surely that's for Tharg to sort out then, as the sender.

My other post arrives in a timely fashion so I'm not sure why Tooth has been later for the last couple of months.

As for your own other day deliveries, have you not been onto them - they should be delivering 6 days a week as they are mandated to do.

Frank

Quote from: user2000 on 02 October, 2016, 05:36:29 PM
have you not been onto them

My sub's digital, buddy. Nothing I get in the post is as keenly anticipated as I'm sure your sub is*.

If it's any consolation, digital subscribers got both the Burnham and Robinson covers. I was going to stick my unwanted pixels up on Ebay, but I'll let you have the electronic cover of your choice for 130 quid.

* I don't even get paper bills anymore - the only things the postie shoves through my letterbox are adverts for Farmfoods and takeaway menus. I should stick the recycling box under the mail flap and cut out the middle man.

user2000

Quote from: Frank on 02 October, 2016, 05:50:17 PM
Quote from: user2000 on 02 October, 2016, 05:36:29 PM
have you not been onto them

My sub's digital, buddy. Nothing I get in the post is as keenly anticipated as I'm sure your sub is*.

If it's any consolation, digital subscribers got both the Burnham and Robinson covers. I was going to stick my unwanted pixels up on Ebay, but I'll let you have the electronic cover of your choice for 130 quid.

* I don't even get paper bills anymore - the only things the postie shoves through my letterbox are adverts for Farmfoods and takeaway menus. I should stick the recycling box under the mail flap and cut out the middle man.

LOL, I've already seen the other covers, so I have digitally committed them to my brain box for free  :P

JUDGE BURNS

Quote from: user2000 on 01 October, 2016, 11:10:35 PM
Quote from: JUDGE BURNS on 01 October, 2016, 10:27:32 PM
No prog 2001 here in Ayrshire , after spending the day in Edinburgh getting loads of books signed I was hoping to relax and read the latest prog.  The Royal Mail in Scotland is terrible these days.  Picture below is of Emma Beeby , Gordon Rennie , Tom Foster and Colin MacNeil.  Sadly, Alan Grant could not make it today .

I'm Ayrshire too, still no Prog 2000 for me!  I just bought it from Smiths.  Need to get round to contacting someone, did I read somewhere that it's not Denise any more?

As I said a few pages back it's been nearly a couple of months since I remember getting the "regular" Saturday prog, mine have been Monday or mostly Tuesday before they turn up, how have yours been?

I have to say, a big draw of subscribing all these years is to get the Prog early - I'm afraid one day early just isn't going to cut it, but I have *just* resubscribed so I suppose I'll have to lump it  ::)

My prog 2000 arrived on a Saturday for a change.   Must be something to do with the Glasgow sorting office when they finish early on a Friday afternoon...lazy B******s

Magnetica

Or it would have been nice to have a subs only variant - Future Publishing and whoever owns Empire these days do it every month for sub copies of their mags (well, the computer/console mags I get anyway) - even for subs to get the comic shop variety.

I wouldn't want every issue to have a different cover for subscribers to that in the shops. For me the cover is an intrinsic part of the identity of any given Prog and that would be lost if we started having different variants for every single issue. The odd one every ten years or so is fine but not as a regular thing. When I think back to the Progs and stories I love, the cover is a fundamental part of it. Covers like 61 (Cursed Earth),  222 (Nemesis Book 1 start), 224 Judge Death Lives,  228 (first Rogue Trooper),  330 (first Slaine), 626 (Horned God) spring most easily to mind but I could easily have named many more.

Back in the day I used to buy SFX magazine from the shops. The subscription version lacked the tag lines - I always  thought that was a rubbish idea as the tag lines were a key part of the cover, building excitement for what was inside. I used to wonder if they were positioning what was a timing issue (i.e. they hadn't finished the cover yet when shipping to subcribers who used to get them quite a while before they hit the shops) as a "benefit".

sheridan

Quote from: Magnetica on 02 October, 2016, 07:26:12 PM
Or it would have been nice to have a subs only variant - Future Publishing and whoever owns Empire these days do it every month for sub copies of their mags (well, the computer/console mags I get anyway) - even for subs to get the comic shop variety.

I wouldn't want every issue to have a different cover for subscribers to that in the shops. For me the cover is an intrinsic part of the identity of any given Prog and that would be lost if we started having different variants for every single issue. The odd one every ten years or so is fine but not as a regular thing. When I think back to the Progs and stories I love, the cover is a fundamental part of it. Covers like 61 (Cursed Earth),  222 (Nemesis Book 1 start), 224 Judge Death Lives,  228 (first Rogue Trooper),  330 (first Slaine), 626 (Horned God) spring most easily to mind but I could easily have named many more.

Back in the day I used to buy SFX magazine from the shops. The subscription version lacked the tag lines - I always  thought that was a rubbish idea as the tag lines were a key part of the cover, building excitement for what was inside. I used to wonder if they were positioning what was a timing issue (i.e. they hadn't finished the cover yet when shipping to subcribers who used to get them quite a while before they hit the shops) as a "benefit".
Yes - all of that - one cover, one comic, one squaxx!

user2000

Quote from: Magnetica on 02 October, 2016, 07:26:12 PM

Yes, you're right, those tagless covers are a bit soulless actually.

I did mean the variant covers only, it would be nice for a sub only one as a special treat, my point was that it is possible as others do do it every month, and it happened before on prog whatever and that meg whatever I can't remember the numbers where we got both covers stapled in.

Something is mightily up with the Glasgow/Kilmarnock sorting offices though as although I said most of my other mail arrives on time, it does seem to be the mags that suffer, Tooth being the worst - one of my sons gets The Phoenix which used to arrive (1st class on the envelope) on a Friday (we used to call is "Phoenix Phriday"...) but now its usually a Saturday but on occasion not til the Monday - Phoenix HQ have confirmed that all the issues are posted out on the same day and that most subscribers receive them on the Friday...  Also my Private Eye, another first classer, can vary from Tuesday to Thursday and I'm sure it's printed off on the Monday afternoon.

Maybe I'll take a moan up the Royal Mail chain, as this seems like intentional delaying of the mail or something else I can muster up that they shouldn't be doing.

Fungus

Jovus, that thread till a while to catch up on. Guess it is over 3 weeks old...

Liked that prog a lot, notch above the usual 'event' issues even if not everything worked. Highlights being Bolland  :o  :o , Gibbons, trademark Nemesis nastiness, Cook, MacNeil and Tharg's neat tiptoeing through the tales to show off (as usual)  :)

...and you could have titled the Dredd tale 'Some Fluff', without fear of contradiction. When the time travel & guest appearances kick in, surely you leave your brain at the door and look at the (very) pretty pictures ? Put me in mind of an Ezquerra story from an early Dredd annual where a crowd of Dredd villains reappeared. Looked curious drawn by another artist, as here.

Robin Low

Quote from: Frank on 26 September, 2016, 01:59:40 PM
Quote from: Steve Green on 26 September, 2016, 11:27:11 AM
Aaah, I remember when it was all fanwank as far as the eye could see.

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php?topic=21694.0;nowap

Until five minutes ago, all I knew of Robin Low was his name check at the front of Origins. Having read a few of his posts, the aspects of Origins I hated make much more sense.

My contribution was largely the idea that Fargo didn't die but was put into stasis, but was occasionally wheeled out so as to resolve the Oz/date of death contradiction. There's relatively little else in it that doesn't come directly from the strip, which was all double checked by Logan and myself, or from Wagner himself.

The fact is, Dredd as been remarkably consistent in its continuity, just one of the reasons it remains worth reading.

Regards,
Robin

Rio De Fideldo

The slight issue I had with Origins was reconciling Dredd's reaction to the contents of the Cal files with the Origins revelation of Fargo's 'indiscretions'.

I think it was discussed at length at the time but I still keep on getting confused at to what Dredd was actually supposed to think based on the retro-continuity.

I seem to recall Sc**o absolutely losing it over this detail so I've learnt to let it go

Frank

Quote from: Robin Low on 03 October, 2016, 11:46:37 AM
My contribution was largely the idea that Fargo didn't die but was put into stasis, but was occasionally wheeled out so as to resolve the Oz/date of death contradiction

Sorry for sounding so cunty above, Robin.

Pop-up Fargo is the aspect of Origins I enjoy least, but I appreciate we all enjoy the same characters and stories in many different ways and for many different reasons.

Congratulations on coming up with an idea worthy of John Wagner's seal of approval, which changed the course of (fictional) history!

Dandontdare

Quote from: Rio De Fideldo on 03 October, 2016, 11:59:34 AM

I seem to recall Sc**o absolutely losing it over this detail so I've learnt to let it go

IIRC that was because Wagner just doesn't "get" Dredd  :lol:

ZenArcade

::) Is that sauchie boy giving off again??
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

I, Cosh

Quote from: Frank on 03 October, 2016, 02:25:47 PM
Congratulations on coming up with an idea worthy of John Wagner's seal of approval, which changed the course of (fictional) history!
You know it wasn't the first time, yeah?
We never really die.