Main Menu

Prog 2005 - The Claw at War!

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 30 October, 2016, 10:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buttonman

Missing my Prog in Paisley too - always a scunner when it hasn't appeared by the time it's on the shelves!

ZenArcade

Just reading this now in the pub....f**kin hell the amount of information, detail and humour Rob Williams puts into 6 pages is staggering and Henry Flint....I haven't the words: What a read! Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Woolly

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 02 November, 2016, 05:21:50 PM
Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 02 November, 2016, 05:16:06 PM
That complete structural survey of the Hall of Justice is long overdue. :D
The place has more secrets than GCHQ.

Are we absolutely certain that they're not the same secret passageways? No particular reason why new arrival Sam would know about them...

Thats how I read it. I'm all but sure we'll be seeing [spoiler]Smiley[/spoiler] next week.

Woolly

Should add, as much as I love the Williams & Flint droid's Dredd teamups I really want this whole Enceladus storyline just wrapped up for good. Dragging on a bit now, and I still haven't a clue wether the bloody horse existed or not!

Thats not to say I'm not enjoying current Dredd, because I am. Its great stuff.
Just getting sick of the subject matter.

Hawkmumbler

Let'a put this to rest for good, the horse DID exist. See THE MAN COMES AROUND for citations.

Geoff

IT'S HERE...can't wait to read it!

TordelBack

Now that there is a top Prog. I'm going to dock it a quarter point for Counterfeit Girl still going in circles and ending with a half page of Libra(?) in extreme physical distress AGAIN, but it's still a solid 4.75/5.  The Dredd is sublimely dense, looking like it'll tie up Enceladus loose ends in a Trifecta-shaped bow; Savage almost lays off the lyrics to give us some lovely looking procedural; former lame hadrosaur Flesh rallies with a genuinely exciting episode; and Hunted continues to transcend its source material to be the best Rogue Trooper strip, since Cinnabar, and possibly better than that. Just love seeing Holden's Rogue in action wrapped in an exciting and even meaningful plot!

Frank

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 02 November, 2016, 06:33:49 PM
Let'a put this to rest for good, the horse DID exist. See THE MAN COMES AROUND for citations

The story when a delirious Dredd only ever sees the horse*, rather than the story where he thinks he mounts and rides it for a couple of episodes?

The fun thing about the horse is that nobody knows whether it's the Dredd strip picking up the magic realist strand last seen that time Dredd met a chatty moggy, a hallucination, or just Henry Flint wanting to draw Dredd on a horse because he's been going through a Frank Miller/Dark Knight Returns phase for the last couple of years.

Embrace the ambiguity of the indeterminate signifier.

* for just four panels

Richard

I like how fast Counterfeit Girl is moving. An awful lot happened in just six pages.

dweezil2

Quote from: Richard on 02 November, 2016, 07:58:44 PM
I like how fast Counterfeit Girl is moving. An awful lot happened in just six pages.

Yeah, love Counterfeit Girl's frenetic pace, it's like a strip on speed!

Which is most apt, considering the subject matter.

The art's like a kaleidoscopic explosion too-amazing stuff!  :)
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!

Colin YNWA

As Banners says the line "I've put my fist through the supernatural." makes the wait disappear in seconds.

When the Progs in this kinda form, as I've said before its all about fine margins.

Slightly down is Flesh - the face off feels like a cop out and the shock revalation feels a bit ... impactless for some reason. It puts a timer on things which strangely removed tension. Finally One One Eye facing off against Big Hunger ... I dunno ... somehow the art killed the moment... I might be being harsh but this week, for all its effort Flesh didn't quite work.

Hunted to can't reach the standards of last week. Mind that's mainly cos last weeks was pretty damned great. Nowt wrong here just not astonishing like last weeks.

Savage has a bit of a cliche villian meets hero in tension unstated knowledge way. Still not a bad episode.

Holding its ground Dredd continues to be astonishingly good. This is just top class stuff and I love the way Frank and co breeze through. The story from Sam's perspective is really refreshing and interesting. A fantastic mystery is set up and the whole thing is jaw droppingly great to look at.

Counterfeit Girl well who gives a chuff if this is up or down compared to last week its fu*kin' great. A truly exceptional thrill which just charges along at a pace matched only by the colours of the art. Brilliant stuff with all involved at the top of their respective games.

So yeah the Prog a little down from last week stella standards, but strangely that no bad thing, its still a very strong Prog.

ZenArcade

Finished my first read....desperately good prog. This is 1985 verging towards 1984 in terms of sheer encapsulatotlry magic....mind you I have a pint of beer and 3 whiskeys in men. Seldom been happier with a prog for ever so many years. Joyus! Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

TordelBack

Quote from: dweezil2 on 02 November, 2016, 08:22:41 PM

Are ye pulling my plonker? Nothing happens in Counterfeit Girl. Wozzername starts off sick and static every episode, runs off and then wanders about meeting/mentioning the same characters, then gets spectacularly physically or mentally sick in time for a final large panel.  Repeat.

Not to say it's bad, it's entertainingly written and the lively art and colours are just out of this world, but it seems terribly repetitive to me week to week.

dweezil2

Quote from: TordelBack on 02 November, 2016, 10:14:25 PM
Quote from: dweezil2 on 02 November, 2016, 08:22:41 PM

Are ye pulling my plonker? Nothing happens in Counterfeit Girl. Wozzername starts off sick and static every episode, runs off and then wanders about meeting/mentioning the same characters, then gets spectacularly physically or mentally sick in time for a final large panel.  Repeat.

Sounds like my life!

Maybe it's a relatable thing!!!!  :lol:
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo