Main Menu

Life Spugs because...

Started by Dog Deever, 04 March, 2009, 08:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

Sad to read that Jimbo. It's bad enough when bad things happen without that bad times - domino effect that sometimes occurs. Hoping things get better for you and your family. All the best, mate.

Woolly

Thats awful news, so sorry for you Jimbo.
Hang in there buddy.

The Legendary Shark

My thoughts are with you, Jimbo.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

paddykafka

As a result of decades long-stranding stress/anxiety/depression and other physical issues, in addition to an horrible experience of work-place bullying, which in itself lead to my ending up in utterly unsuitable and unsustainable work conditions and environment, I have been off sick from work and receiving Illness Benefit Payment from the laughably titled Department of Social Protection (DSP) here in the Emerald Isle for some time now.

After waiting for 17 months, I finally got to be seen for an appointment with a view to referral for suitable treatment, low-cost counselling etc. Problem is, as a result of an ongoing shambles within the DSP and between them and the GP's who sign off on the certs, along with IT problems in the DSP - have they not tried turning it off and then on? - my Illness Benefit Payments each week for the last month have either been short-funded or not paid at all. I was paid up including arrears earlier this week and thought that I was back on track, but again for this week, today there was no payment whatsoever.

With no sign of this issue being resolved any time soon, there is no point in my making any sort of appointment as - between chasing around between the Illness Benefit Section, Community Welfare Officers etc - I simply do not know what I am going to be doing from one day to the next or if I will even have the necessary funds to pay for counselling.

I am just one of hundreds of people reliant on this payment who are being dicked around by a bunch of complete incompetents. This has been ongoing for over two months and has received very little in the way of media coverage. The Journal.ie have been one of the honourable exceptions.

Just to stress I am not posting this for charity or anything like that. I just want  to raise people's awareness.

You can copy and paste the links below to read the impact this fiasco has had on some of the most vulnerable in our society. Please forward or share those links if you would like to.

Cheers and thanks! - Paddy 

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057901661&page=2

https://www.thejournal.ie/illness-benefit/news/

The Legendary Shark

I know how crushing it feels to be in that kind of situation, Paddykafka, and I wish I could say something helpful that doesn't sound either heartless or trite - but I can't. One thing I do know, from personal experience, is that we're all stronger than we think.

If there's any way I can help, pm me and I'll do what I can. Good luck, good health and good friends to you, Sir.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

paddykafka

Thanks, Sharky. Tis much appreciated.

Just as an addendum, I should add that the frontline staff within the DSP and the Community Welfare Officers I have dealt with in relation to this issue have all been extremely understanding and courteous. My gripe is solely with the Minister for Social Protection and the other Senior Management who have presided over this fiasco. Every one of them should be fired with immediate effect.

TordelBack

I hear ya Paddy. Your situation and experience is all too familiar. It's almost impossible to get help or support when you need it, despite, as you say,  the generally decent folk you meet across the counter.   Something has to change, but it's unlikely to happen as long as Varadkar & Martin sail smugly along on a wave of pre-Brexit uncertainty, and much more likely that it'll get worse once that tsunami finally makes landfall

Tjm86

The way in which the most vulnerable in our society are currently being treated is utterly disgusting.  Way too many politicians have made a career out of the vilification of those who have been criminally mistreated by society.  Their failure to effectively deal with the financial disaster of 2008 but rather to capitalise on it for their own and their benefactor's benefit speaks volumes.  It also reveals their true craven nature (albeit completely unsurprising).  I know solidarity is only of limited benefit but there are a lot of folks who stand four square with you on this issue. 

Stay strong sir.

paddykafka

Just a quick update on my Illness Benefit situation. Got my normal payment yesterday, so fingers crossed it will be business as normal next week as well. Can't say that I have any confidence in the Social Protection Minister given the track record to date of her department on this fiasco.

FIFTY-FIVE THOUSAND PEOPLE are the numbers that we are talking about here!

Vulnerable and sick individuals who have contributed tax and PRSI all their working lives, and who are only looking for what they are entitled to in their hour of need. 

The main thing now is to keep the public awareness of this scandal ongoing, to keep the political and social pressure on the powers-that-be and see some accountability for those responsible for this mess

Anyways, thanks once again for the support and kind comments. Much appreciated.

-Paddy

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/unforgiving-it-system-blamed-for-latest-delays-in-illness-benefit-1.3684226

https://www.thejournal.ie/doherty-apologises-to-the-5000-people-who-are-still-waiting-on-illness-benefit-for-distress-caused-4319408-Nov2018/#comment-7629143

Cyberleader2000

My dad died 2 days ago I stade by his side the last 3 days of his life to make sure I was with him when he went unlike with my mum. now I cant morn I have a week to get his will in register his death and take over my broutheres care before sochil services find out. dosent help that my pushing myself during this time whilst ill has given my a chest infechion. and we were still dealing with the fallout from my mum dieing.
Pleases Vist My Blog

can you name the anime

Bolt-01

The Legendary Shark

My condolences, Cybes, sounds like you've got a lot to work out. Hope your friends and family can help you out. xx
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Proudhuff

Sorry to hear that CL, hope you get through it all, went through something similar myself, life is hard without the emotional landmarks that are your parents...hang in there.
DDT did a job on me

Dandontdare

That's a lot of stomm you've got to deal with CL - my sympathies on your loss and all the best wishes - stay strong and don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it.

Dark Jimbo

Don't suffer in silence Cybes, please use this place to vent whenever you need to.
@jamesfeistdraws