Main Menu

Dredd and 2000AD feature coming up in Retro Gamer

Started by jrdd, 28 June, 2019, 05:41:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrdd

Fans of 'next issue' pages (hello..? anyone..??) would do well to check out the current issue of Retro Gamer, which features Dredd: https://imgur.com/Lvm6Vny

Arguably of more importance, it also suggests the next issue could be of interest too:
"Jason Kingsley discusses the video game history of 2000 AD"  (#196 out 11th July)

MumboJimbo

Cool! There seemed to be quite a few games based on 2000 AD in the 8-bit era, but none of them seemed to get great reviews (at least in Crash) so I never sampled them. I remember Quicksilva did a Strontium Dog game. I might have to pick up the next issue

Dash Decent

Nice - two Dredd games, Rogue Trooper, Nemesis the Warlock, the Slaine game with the floating word menu system, the unreleased Anderson/Dark Judges game and two Strontium Dog games.  Any others on the 8 bit front?

I bought the Melbourne House Judge Dredd game when it came out, as a birthday present for my brother.  Great music!  And the music for Nemesis was composed by C64 legend, Rob Hubbard.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Krakajac

I've posted these images elsewhere, but here's my collection of 2000AD-related titles...the majority of which are for the C64 (which I still power up every now and then).  The only exception being Strontium Dog 'The Killing', which was exclusively for the Spectrum.

All are 8-bit...with the exception of the AMIGA Rogue Trooper title - which is 16-bit (but still lovingly retro!).  It's the only title in my collection that is on disk.

Now for some 'home-made' oddities...the 'Judge Death' title is in fact the game 'Horror City' that was released in 1989.  You can learn more here...

http://retrovania-vgjunk.blogspot.com/2013/07/horror-city-c64.html

An advertisement for the 'Judge Death' game was published - which I used for the cassette cover.  Inside the cassette box is a USB stick with the game/emulator. :)

The other three games were all created/released by Malcolm Kirk - a member of this very forum.

The hardest part - tracking down vintage cassette boxes!  You can't even find them in second-hand stores any more! :)

Pyroxian

Leigh S

Nice collection, Kracajak

I have the original VHS box version of "...Saves The World" - didnt realise the reprint was much more 2000ADcentric art wise - I wonder if they got Tharg's permission to use the likeness's and logo (though I suspect I know the answer!)

Have to take a photo of my collection once I pull the other half out the loft!

Has anyone ever seena  physical copy of Horror City?  It was on my list for many years....

Leigh S

Bolt-01

Quote from: Leigh S on 30 June, 2019, 11:56:17 AM
Nice collection, Kracajak

Have to take a photo of my collection once I pull the other half out the loft!

You keep your other half in the loft?

Dash Decent

I'd forgotten the Stainless Steel Rat game. I didn't consider the three Dan Dare games because they're obviously (original) Eagle Dan, not Tooth Dare.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

M.I.K.

Quote from: Krakajac on 29 June, 2019, 05:15:01 AM
The other three games were all created/released by Malcolm Kirk - a member of this very forum.

Yay. I think that's the first time I've seen all of them cassette-boxed up like that.

Apparently, somebody's also recently converted Zombo's Christmas Capers to the Acorn Atom, (if that's your thing)...

https://stardot.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17148

Coincidentally stuck in a zip file alongside a conversion of a speccy game by Mr. Dom Reardon, (which I don't think is technically even supposed to be finished yet).

Krakajac

Apologies - it's taken me a while to get around to replying...

Thanks Leigh - ah, the elusive original release of 'Saves The World'.  I'm after one of those.  Let me know if you ever want to sell. :)

And no - I haven't seen a physical copy of 'Horror City' either.  Can't find any images of the box-art on google.

"I didn't consider the three Dan Dare games because they're obviously (original) Eagle Dan, not Tooth Dare."

Yeah, I agree - but they're kinda 2000AD related, so I've included them in my collection. :)

Glad you like your boxed games, Malcolm. :)