Main Menu

Nemesis the Early Heresies

Started by Tjm86, 03 September, 2019, 06:18:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

And a boatload of algorithmic and manual processing obv.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: seanharry on 11 September, 2019, 01:33:45 PM
The origional art has all since been sold to private collectors by the artists (I own 5 pages from Nemesis), and in the various transitions that 2000AD had made from company to company, the printing plates and files have all been lost.

Do you know that for sure? I know Rebellion inherited a substantial film archive when they bought 2000AD, because the late Stewart (WR Logan) Perkins took on the task of organising and cataloguing it for them. I'd be surprised if the negs for 'crown jewel' strips had gone AWOL, simply because they were more likely to have been kept together and used more frequently than, say, the ones for Dry Run.

The only Nemesis reprint I own is in the Case Files-style volume and now the Ultimate Collection, and I thought the repro in the Ultimate version was largely excellent — to the extent that I find it hard to imagine it was scanned from the prog or a reprint.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

Mmm, maybe some of Book IV looks a tad heavy, lettering in particular, but O'Neill and Redondo's finest lines and letratone work look near-perfect to me. Surely if working from prog-sources the Book III colour centrespreads would have appeared?

seanharry

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 11 September, 2019, 01:47:36 PM
Quote from: seanharry on 11 September, 2019, 01:33:45 PM
The origional art has all since been sold to private collectors by the artists (I own 5 pages from Nemesis), and in the various transitions that 2000AD had made from company to company, the printing plates and files have all been lost.

Do you know that for sure? I know Rebellion inherited a substantial film archive when they bought 2000AD, because the late Stewart (WR Logan) Perkins took on the task of organising and cataloguing it for them. I'd be surprised if the negs for 'crown jewel' strips had gone AWOL, simply because they were more likely to have been kept together and used more frequently than, say, the ones for Dry Run.

The only Nemesis reprint I own is in the Case Files-style volume and now the Ultimate Collection, and I thought the repro in the Ultimate version was largely excellent — to the extent that I find it hard to imagine it was scanned from the prog or a reprint.

While the repro on books 1-3 of Nemesis is excellent, and on par with the Titan volumes, the 4th Book leaves a lot to be desired.

The reproduction in a lot of Rebellions collections is, quite frankly awful, particularly on the earlier stories. One horrific example is Father Earth, a story for which all details in Bollands work is lost, and some panels are so badly reproduced you simply can't see anything in them.

Max Headroom

Bad repro is an issue that really bugs me. Personally, I would be more than willing to pay a higher price for my books if more time could be spent on them to bring them up to a good standard. Do others agree?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Max Headroom on 11 September, 2019, 08:45:01 PM
Bad repro is an issue that really bugs me. Personally, I would be more than willing to pay a higher price for my books if more time could be spent on them to bring them up to a good standard. Do others agree?

If the original art is unavailable and the negs are lost/degraded then there's relatively little that can be done short of basically re-drawing the affected areas. Even then, with nothing nothing more than a poor-original-copy prog for reference, what you're going to get is some hapless sap's best guess.

For tiny areas (like the relatively small amount of re-drawing I did round the edges of the new speech balloons in Charley's War), you can (I hope!) get away with it. For larger areas, you're asking not for re-touch but an artist who can convincingly imitate Bolland, or Talbot, or Ezquerra... and that's going to add a time and cash overhead that'll have more than a marginal impact on the price of the end product.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

sheridan

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 11 September, 2019, 01:35:33 PM
And a boatload of algorithmic and manual processing obv.

As was said at the 40th, Rebellion are literally getting state-of-the-art 'droids' to recover hundreds of thousands of pages of 20th century British comics...

Tomwe

Necropost! My two Heresies volumes just arrived and they are a sight to behold! Glad I went for it.

The Bissler

Quote from: Tomwe on 20 December, 2020, 10:49:53 AM
Necropost! My two Heresies volumes just arrived and they are a sight to behold! Glad I went for it.

Nice! I'm hoping mine might be delivered tomorrow! I can't wait to get my hands on them!

Dark Jimbo

Can't wait to see Torquemada's Second Honeymoon in colour!
@jamesfeistdraws

sheridan

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 20 December, 2020, 02:49:37 PM
Can't wait to see Torquemada's Second Honeymoon in colour!

It is really good - first book of Marshal Law-era Kevin O'Neill painting!

CalHab

Both books have just arrived for me too. They really are rather lovely things.

Tomwe

Swerty

I'd Forgotton I'd ordered it.Nice surprise.Hopefully Royal mail will deliver festive prog before Xmas