Main Menu

rogue trooper game

Started by joepineapples3000a, 29 October, 2006, 08:47:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richmond Clements

I always took the blue skin to be something done by his makers to mark him out as clearly not human, ie- a product rather than a 'real' person.

Mardroid

I love this game. I got really into it and played it day after day for hours, then got stuck on the hover train level. After a few attempts I gave up, and I haven't played it again for months.  Glad to know that I'm not the only one who had problems with that level though. I guess the key is to make certain that you do a good job defending the train before that point. It's a shame that returning to that point gives the train 50% damage as it seem impossible after that.

Concerning the rogue trooper colour, I'm pretty certain it's a camouflage thing. Dark blue is good for blending into shadows in particular. Possibly even better than black since only the deepest shadow appears black. As others have said, grey is even better.

As for the standalone gun's recoil etc, would these future weapons have a recoil? If they do they probably would have found a way to reduce it with some kind of dampening technology. Apart from that, the bullets might have been fired by some kind of electromagnetic technology rather than an explosive charge in a cartridge. With that system I'm not certain there would be a recoil at all.

Has the tech been remarked upon at all in past stories?

Mardroid

oh, and whilst I've taken a holiday from the game, I will give that train level another go... I haven't given up completely.

ThryllSeekyr

The problem with the train level is that is pretty inflexible.

Has anybody tried completing it without using the mounted guns ( All three of them!)

I was alittle annoyed that Gunner's speical ability can't be used here.

,Mr. Nice

Conservation of momentum means that as long as your gun is chucking out bits of metal at high speed, you have recoil to worry about. Modern anti-recoil trickery actually uses the fact that an explosive charge is used, by having the escaping air/smoke/gas "absorb" the backwards momentum, as opposed to the gun itself.

Bico

Mardredd - theoretically, railguns should have no recoil as they 'pull' bullets, rather than pushing, as chemical propellants do.  If Gunnar could move to track targets, then possibly it's not beyond reason that he can compensate for recoil in much the same manner - like leaning forwards or something.
Another vote for unrealism in games from me, too.  Grand Theft Auto would be unplayable without the exaggerated physics and superhuman level of endurance of the main character.  Just look at Driver, True Crime, and all the other free-roaming crim-sims that employ more realistic vehicle physics and fragile protagonists - they're just not as easy or fun to play.

If I could do the train level, anyone could.  Keep at it!

ThryllSeekyr

With Canis Canem Edit another step towards realsim has been taken with the implementation of sleep and falling unconsious ( And sometimes getting robbed.)where your character ( Jimmy.) is if you don't get any in the minimum amount in the alotted time ithin a twelve hour period in game.

Some other players found this annoying and getting in the way.

I thought it made the game more challengeing, real and didn't ruin the playerbility of the game at all.

Radbacker

hardly realistic just droping off to sleep where you stand though is it?,  its certainly a hard balance to get between fun and realism I often finding myself getting anoyed at dodgy things happening and crave realism then I realize while making the game more beleivable it just wouldn't be fun anymore.  

CU radbacker

ThryllSeekyr

Right you might be, but the game certainly feels more real.

The falling to asleep on the spot?

Do you know what happens to a person who tries to stay awake indefinitely?

I think they would just fall over or just become very clumsy or sluggish. Thne do the falling over.

Maybe the realism would be that their ability to concentrate on anything would be severly impaired.

I'm not sure how that would effect a game.

It might be alot like being drunk.

Anyway, You could just take this as symbolism.

There are ways of falling asleep while still being awake.

That ability to control your actions, to stay focused is like being totally awake, and when you'll asleep yet still yet moving your abscent mindness may result in a accident or something like that.  

Otherwise I don't know.

Radbacker

effect wise they could blur the screen or make the controls a bit sluggish, that would be a nice way to still have lack of sleep efffect your character but not in a silly way.

CU Radbacker

davidjatt

In saying that, I've been replaying Canis Canem Edit to find all the hidden items, and its a real hindrance that you only have a certain amount of time to find them before you collapse.

And as for all you people stuck on Rogue Trooper... pah! I beat it with no challenge!
Honestly, I remember buying it last July, and I have very good memories of whiling away the early hours of a summer morning playing it.

Hoagy

I finally got me a copy of the Trooper game today.

I salivate with anticipation of playing it tonight..
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Hoagy

I have completed first-intro-mission.

Am I to take it this is the official deaths of gunnar, helm and bagman?

Or are they under a gaming artistic licence?
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
Previously Krombasher.

Tweak72

the deaths are not a million miles for how they died in the comic. there are some cosmetic differences but yeah not bad i thought.
+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

Hoagy

Cheers, Tweak.

Its a good game though. There are many, not half as good and playing as Rogue for the first time, well it's, ...it's floaty like!

Nice roaming, GI-AI, Norts are suitably nasty and great weaponry.

Fun for now... but on reading past threads, theres a sh*tstorm to come.

Thumbs up.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
Previously Krombasher.