Main Menu

Gnyah... (And strings of naughty words) HELP

Started by The Doctor Alt 8, 12 April, 2010, 05:31:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Doctor Alt 8

My cursor keeps skipping about an inch over the screen like it's suffering from either St Vitus dance or Parkingsons. I have restarted my mainframe over 8 times. it is STILL doing it.
The mouse has fresh battries to chew on.
I virus check daily. (Alright just TRY & stop Macaffe from scanning)
The cursor cannot be comtroled from my keyboard. but there are no sticky keys and it works fine

The only way to stop it jigging round (for 2 second at a time) is for me to presss the Connect button on my optical muse and use my USB wire connected mouse to move & click

this is not only bloody frustrating but is killing my back & neck
HELP...
Please Help.[/
size]

Banners

Dandontdare

Quote from: The Doctor Alt 8 on 12 April, 2010, 05:31:54 PM
my optical muse

Is that something that inspires visual artists?  :D Sorry - it wasn't piss-taking on your spelling that you were after!

Sounds like your mouse may be f*cked (to use a technical term). Unles you've changed your speed/sensitivity settings, it sounds like the little laser sensor may be dirty or flickering. Try giving it a clean first of all.

I'm losing patience with my own wireless mouse. I've only had it a couple of months and I'm on the fourth battery change (duracells too). is this normal? if so, I'm going back to the plug-in version.

WoD

Also...make sure there's no 'crappy build up' on the bottom of the mouse lifting it a little higher than is should be off the mat you use (losing it's focus)...sometimes happens.

The Doctor Alt 8

Well I haven't touched any settings.
And it's not just the wireless mouse that jiggles.

Both do it.
and the wire usb mouse works for two seconds after clicking the connect button on the optical mouse (It sucks to be dyslexic) then it jiggers too.
only done this since I booted up this morning
working fine until then.

Noisybast

It's not on a shiny surface, is it? Try putting a sheet of matt paper under the mouse and see if it behaves any better.
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Emperor

If it isn't anything silly like distractedly putting down a half eaten apple on your mousemat which them makes the mouse move oddly until you realise what a numpty you've been... then it sounds like you might want to just reinstall the mouse driver, although there is a diagnostic tool you can run in Vista/Windows 7 if you have it.

You might want to first check you haven't got a virus, then if it is fine check that a process hasn't crashed and sucked up the memory (press CTRL+ALT+DEL which should bring up your task manager - the performance tab will show if your resources are being hosed away and process will let you spot what is doing it and possibly killing it). Also try rebooting it may just be One of Those Things.

If that doesn't work take it further following the advice here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321122

Also this is a common problem (although possibly with a few sources) so it is worth nosing through:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mouse+problems+windows+erratic
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

I, Cosh

Quote from: The Doctor Alt 8 on 12 April, 2010, 05:46:55 PM
Both do it.
and the wire usb mouse works for two seconds after clicking the connect button on the optical mouse (It sucks to be dyslexic) then it jiggers too.
only done this since I booted up this morning working fine until then.
Something I'm not clear on. Are you saying you plug in the USB mouse and then try to connect the optical mouse at the same time? What happens when you disconnect and turn off the optical mouse and restart the PC with only the USB mouse connected?

Quote from: Dandontdare on 12 April, 2010, 05:42:27 PM
I'm losing patience with my own wireless mouse. I've only had it a couple of months and I'm on the fourth battery change (duracells too). is this normal? if so, I'm going back to the plug-in version.
I got a wireless a few years ago and had exactly the same problem. Even using rechargeable batteries the fact that it would die so frequently had me back on the wired variety within six weeks.
We never really die.

CraveNoir

my thoughts:

take batteries out of wireless mouse
connect corded usb mouse to computer
reboot
use corded mouse

things that could be causing the problem:
too many mouses
low batteries
wireless receiver too far away
radio interference
mouse driver bug
artists drawing the eagle facing the wrong way
beguiling time traveller assistants
kentucky nougart
Jerry Sizzler
those new-fangled red rubber bands
digital bubbles
the opening theme to Sapphire and Steel
toes
the early 1970s
humphreys
that irish band I can't remember the name of

The Doctor Alt 8

Actually I have solved the problem
It was the optical mouse.
it's snecked.
it no no longer works at all
so I'm stuck with the USB mmouse that works fine but means I'm having to sit in an akward postion cause of the shortness of cable.
Thanks guys though.

Pete Wells

I dunno what it is Doc, but if you find out will you let Thryllseeker know?

The Doctor Alt 8

Obviously the jigging about was prelonged death spasums

Perhaps somebody poisoned the thing...

worldshown

The computer I bought last May came with both a wireless mouse and keyboard. I got rid of the mouse within a month as it would eat batteries overnight and the keyboard followed two months later as it would just keep repeating keypresses. Bought USB replacements for both and everything's fine now.

Emperor

Quote from: The Doctor Alt 8 on 12 April, 2010, 09:22:42 PMso I'm stuck with the USB mmouse that works fine but means I'm having to sit in an akward postion cause of the shortness of cable.

You can get USB extension cables - I'm using one at the moment to allow me to plug my pen drive in without having to jam it in the back (or worse the front). Not sure I paid for it so assume it came with something (I tend to acquire useful bits of cable from people). Looking on Amazon you can get 1.8 - 3 metres worth of cable for a couple of quid, either throw it on an order or pick one up from an electrical shop as you pass by.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+