Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theblazeuk

Deadpool - pretty bloody good.

ThryllSeekyr

I have been watching The Martian for the third time (Yet, not fully tuned in the while time...) and once at the movie late last year. Not that I have a problem with the film, it's great on a scientific level even though I not qualified to say that and also on level that appreciates film-makers that don't spray a sugar coating on their own work. It might have been a classic if it was made in the same year as Close Encounters of the Third Kind and it still may be.

It was some time after I first saw this late last year.....I know I was still shopping round for supplies to upgrade my Gandalf costume which I'm still sore over.

As I was writing.....[spoiler] I personally believe this film is the spiritual successor to E.T. the Extra Terrestrial. Bearing in mind a lot of obvious differences between the two films...I'm not even sure -without looking it up- if this one got as many awards as E.T. and stuff like setting, teenagers and their younger sisters and older brothers. Playing any of the earlier versions of Dungeons & Dragons with your older brother's friends & ordering pizza, leaving Reece's Pieces  (I always had the assumption these were really M&M's (And think I may have read this in the novelisation and it was great at that time because of all the references to pop culture of that time!) and then well after the film's 30th anniversary reboot. (Yep, they inserted a scene or two with better computerised effects and swapped guns with wireless phones/walkie-talkies....) I found out he was using Reece Pieces which I could only get by ordering them on line. Which I did and found they taste like drops of peanut butter encased in a chocolate shell that would make you think they might have been M&M's.
Seriously, I think the company said no when if they could use those in the film!) to lure a
weird creature (Never realised until now the irony of how a young teenager used candy to lure a supposedly elderly creature into his house so that he could play with him and I use the word supposedly because E.T. is also known to be a -Child of the Green Planet- because comparatively it's still a child of it's own universe, and then a even way older in comparison to the oldest among human inhabitants of Earth. Which may contradict with some thing I will be writing down below.) he found in your backyard the night before getting drunk by mental telepathy, wearing a mish-mash of Gerty's clothing (This might be the firs t case of alien transvestism, apart from the inside knowledge of have it's really a sentient and intelligent a part reptilian-potato/part monkey of neither sex being part plant and then there are some who might say it really is female!) & learning the local language using a Speak & Spell (Remember those!), Government adversary's, and professional enthusiast known for the sound of jangling keys almost always hanging from his belt, a high school crush, two magical bike rides and a rainbow exhaust trail. There is also stuff about the absence of Elliot's father who had supposedly left his mother for another woman and was now in Mexico. This has lead me to believe that his father was sent from Mexico in that orb-shaped spaceship as a E.T. to spy and to check up on him face to face. Realistically, that's not the best way to do that and on the subject of realism. The majority would not agree realism has no place in E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial unless they're Carl Sagan and others like him.

There wasn't any of this in obvious manner, and has the thought of seeing Mark Watney (Matt Damon) in female clothing or wrapped in a white sheet while squashed into the front basket of a bike. Yes, well the latter has crossed my mind a few times. While I only thought of the former right now and thought again of giggling to myself. He also had more tools than the squashy little alien, but I think his psionics almost made up for it. Almost made up for his being surrounded by people would react so badly to seeing him right in front of them unlike Mark who was apparently alone. Maybe the natives were watching him the whole time and just spooking him every now and then like that time it looked as though the weather had broken into his hot-house garden or farm and destroyed it all. ( Not sure if that happened like that, for I wasn't really taking much notice and I don't recall it exactly after the first time!)

Mark did establish contact and was able to communicate with mission control using text after salvaging a probe that only had to be, dug up, moved and plugged in to the solar relay near base camp. While E.T. built it's transmitter from essential parts of electronica, spare parts and other junk and use that get back into contact with it's own people and later on extend his telepathic link with his the crew of the ship that had abandoned him. It was still returning home after all that time and that is rumoured to be at least 8 million light years distance.

E.T. died from being exposed to Earth as a foreign place to him for a extended
amount of time after his crew thought he got caught and severed the telepathic link between them and him. This might have played a bigger role in his temporary dead state. I know this never exactly happened to Mark, but he was presumed dead and lost all the same.

Aside from both building or salvaging communications to help them get back home. They were also both Botanist. In fact E.T. species is very well known for it. It's like a Druid/Alien and also good at obtaining those rare herbs to sooth the mind. (Something I learnt from skimming through the
second novelisation....which I have never read properly, because of how silly & cartoony it became!)
Such a shame as I might have been interested in seeing a sequel and then you learn that's terrible idea no matter how much money could be spare to pump into that notion!) So, is Mark Watney and he even almost proudly exclaims just that infront of the computer terminal's camera.

It's at that moment that the creators of South Park's juvenile humour concerning this actor
in their comedy-spoof on Thunder-Birds. I can almost imagine Robot Chicken now doing another E.T. joke (I know they have done a few already....) where the little alien repeats over & over that "I'm Matt Damon" as if that would explain everything. Even though that would be totally lost on most viewers. We understand!!!! (With head nodding....)

I think I have written everything I wanted to illustrate those parallel between both films and I never really wanted to offend Matt Damon with talk of strange boys using candy to lure him away with them, (Because I just though of that angle when I wrote it!) or Matt & Trey who made him out to be a moron in one of their films and I forget the other thing right now and just want to go to bed.[/spoiler]

I hope this makes sense, because I'm not reading all that.....

TordelBack

TS, you are something else! But you know what, you're not actually wrong about those parallels.

I always thought ET's illness was from being telepathically disconnected from his pals, hence the substitute - but inadequate - bond he forms with Elliot, and his 'resurrection' when the ship is back in range. I don't think Earth itself was having any negative effects. And you're dead right about it being M&Ms in the novel, which I also had never seen, let alone tasted.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Tordelback on 23 February, 2016, 03:40:46 PM
TS, you are something else! But you know what, you're not actually wrong about those parallels.

I always thought ET's illness was from being telepathically disconnected from his pals, hence the substitute - but inadequate - bond he forms with Elliot, and his 'resurrection' when the ship is back in range. I don't think Earth itself was having any negative effects. And you're dead right about it being M&Ms in the novel, which I also had never seen, let alone tasted.

Your really missing out if you've never tried M&M's (If your partial to chocolate treats like myself and & just wondered right now if those initials mean anything....!). I don't even recall when was the time I've seen one of those small rectangular box's of Smarties in a long while since the introduction of it's almost indentical confectionary equivalent.

The taste is something my late mother would describe as Moorish. It's got this deep rich flavour where Smarties would just seem less like chocolate and more like the candy colouring of the outer shell. There is also the little white M printed on each and every one of them. A friend of my older brother's from school had some mathematic equation dedicated to them written underneath his mug shot photo when he was in his senior year at school. Cause he was always eating them. It's like a drug.

I never bothered looking for Smarties after M&M's had appeared to take their place and was known to buy them in the largest packets they were displayed in. Pouring them into a bowl to pig out on.

That's just between you and everybody here on this forum who isn't the G.P who diagnosed me with Diabetes back in 2010.

Theblazeuk

I am pretty sure Tordels has tried M&Ms at some point since 1982.

TordelBack

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 23 February, 2016, 05:15:15 PM

Just very occasionally one or two [spoiler]giant bags of peanut ones that I bought to sustain the entire family on a long drive but ate in their entirety on the way back from the shops.[/spoiler]

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Tordelback on 23 February, 2016, 05:22:18 PM
Quote from: Theblazeuk on 23 February, 2016, 05:15:15 PM

Just very occasionally one or two [spoiler]giant bags of peanut ones that I bought to sustain the entire family on a long drive but ate in their entirety on the way back from the shops.[/spoiler]
Oh i'm nit the only one then? My only problem is....i'm single and can't drive. I'm just a fucking glutten!

Big_Dave

M&M's (styled as m&m's) are "colorful button-shaped chocolates"[1] produced by Mars, Incorporated.

Forrest Mars, Sr., son of the founder of the Mars Company Frank C. Mars, copied the idea for the candy in the 1930s during the Spanish Civil War when he saw soldiers eating British made Smarties, chocolate pellets with a colored shell of what confectioners call hard panning (essentially hardened sugar syrup) surrounding the outside, preventing the candies from melting.

The two "Ms" represent the names of Forrest E. Mars Sr., the founder of Newark Company, and Bruce Murrie, son of Hershey Chocolate's president William F. R. Murrie, who had a 20 percent share in the product.[8] The arrangement allowed the candies to be made with Hershey chocolate, as Hershey had control of the rationed chocolate at the time.[9]

During production of E.T., Amblin Productions approached Mars, Inc. about a possible tie-in between M&Ms and the film. For whatever reason, Mars said "No" to the proposition.

Many purported reasons for that negative response have been provided by a variety of sources: Mars decided it didn't want its bite-size candy associated with an extraterrestrial living with an earth family, or it thought the film's premise just a bit too otherworldly, or an unnamed M&M executive decided nobody would want to see a movie about an alien adopted by a lonely kid.

(M&Ms did survive as the candy used in the 1982 William Kotzwinkle novelization of the film, however.)

Hershey did not pay to have Reese's Pieces used in E.T., but it did agree to do a tie-in between the movie and the candy after the film was released. A deal was inked wherein Hershey Foods agreed to promote E.T. with $1 million of advertising; in return, Hershey could use E.T. in its own ads.

Within two weeks of the movie's premiere, Reese's Pieces sales went through the roof. (Disagreement exists as to how far through the roof they went: Sales were variously described as having tripled, experienced an 85% jump, or increased by 65%).

I, Cosh

I thought the Stallone Dredd film was sponsored by Hershey's Kisses.
We never really die.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Cosh on 23 February, 2016, 09:18:15 PM

Wayhey - he's here all night ladies and gentlemen.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: The Cosh on 23 February, 2016, 09:18:15 PM
Really, I thought it was sponsered by Taco Bell....

......Must be some other Sly future cop movie.

ThryllSeekyr

Even though, I found Reece Pieces hard to find. They do sell these Myer Eight in Brisbane......

So, I brought one to try it out and found it difficult to eat properly. It really did taste like smooth peanut butter being eaten by the spoonful.

What do yah think, how about film cross over with Deadpool and E.T. side by side. You know it wouldn't be totally out of place for him since he likes and plays with a stuffed unicorn.

The Legendary Shark

Dear Lego,

I finally got around to seeing your movie, which I enjoyed for several reasons both pompous and base. But please, for pity's sake, tell me how to get that f@{#/ng song out of my head!

Awesomely,

The Awesome Shark.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

ThryllSeekyr

You know as soon as I had started to make this new place a home.....e.g. When my cable and internet was both connected I did search for the Lego-Batman-Song.

Because, I felt it was about me a the time I was starting to get comfortable here.

You know the lyrics....

Darkness......No parents......

BTW, I caught the end of Creep Show two, which is wonderfully refreshing after all the modern horror I've seen lately or anything else really.

The last one reminded me of somebody I went to school with. But I won't go into details there.

Easily found on You-Tube as well.

I, Cosh

Deadpool certainly wasn't a bad film but I didn't particularly enjoy it. A few good laughs and a definite thumbs up for Marvel's continued understanding that you can mix tones within the same setting.
We never really die.