Main Menu

Threadjacking!

Started by Proudhuff, 11 June, 2012, 02:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

Or "Man with enormous heid dominates game with devastating headers."
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

I still think of 2000Ad's online presence as a recent development. Then I realise I've been a forum member for 18 sodding years.

(Including my former self, jayzus b. christ with spaces, if anyone is checking.)

I feel like Dredd in 50 Year Man.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

I'm still a newbie - only 11 years. But, damn, that's 11 years of fun and mayhem!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

It ain't the years, honey: it's the word-count.

Trout

It's the quality, you fools.

Tjm86

Have you ever noticed how it is always sunny in space?

The Legendary Shark

It's a bit overcast in the Mutara Nebula.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

The approach to Kessel looks a bit murky too.

TordelBack

Watching The Terminator with the Boy last night, he was laughing himself silly at the idea of giant books of phone numbers lurking under every telephone. Then we told him about the Golden Pages. I don't think he believed us.

JOE SOAP

If they don't appreciate the Terminator's effort to locate Sarah Connor, they'll never understand the sisyphean struggle of JR Hartley.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 08 August, 2019, 03:18:11 PM
If they don't appreciate the Terminator's effort to locate Sarah Connor, they'll never understand the sisyphean struggle of JR Hartley.

😀
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Dandontdare

So ...  Amazon has paid $250m to the Tolkien estate, Warner Bros and HarperCollins for the rights to Lord of the Rings, with a reputed billion dollar budget to make it .... and won't be able to show anything that actually happens in the book!

I wonder if all the executives involved in greenlighting this were fully aware of this?

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/aug/09/amazons-new-lord-of-the-rings-cannot-use-much-of-tolkiens-plot

TordelBack

It's a fiddly one - at one end you have Middle Earth before the Numenoreans came east, so entirely elves, dwarves and maybe some barbarians, at the other Elendil, Sauron and the Last Alliance, which everything is building up towards, but which equally everyone has already seen. And the spans of time are so vast, you'd really need to pick one. My guess would be the 3000s, so it'll all just be pure prequel nonsense, founding of this, birth of that, foreshadowing of the other.

Dandontdare

QuoteSpanning 3,441 years, the Second Age begins after the banishment of the dark lord Morgoth and ends with the first demise of Sauron, Morgoth's servant and the primary villain in The Lord of the Rings, at the hands of an alliance of elves and men...

....But you can add new characters and ask a lot of questions, like: What has Sauron done in the meantime? Where was he after Morgoth was defeated? Theoretically, Amazon can answer these questions by inventing the answers, since Tolkien did not describe it. But it must not contradict anything which Tolkien did say.

TordelBack

If you went for something small, a doomed romance somewhere on the fringes of great events, it might be fun.  But I'd imagine we're looking at jumping straight into something along the lines of the Akallabeth as a prologue, and then Elendil's arrival in Middle Earth.

Think I'd have probably spent that $250M on scratch cards instead.