Main Menu

Ijust spilt lemon flavored softdrink on....

Started by ThryllSeekyr, 28 May, 2008, 08:23:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThryllSeekyr

A recently aquired 'Best of Speical Edition.'

It has a non-laminated cardboard cover.

I managed to gently wipe off the excess liquid with a clean shirt.

It does appaer to be okay. It was lightly damp afew minuties ago amd now it's feels dryer and just slight warped at the top.

It's still feels cold to touch.

I was just wondering If I took the right precautions against the spread of mold occuring.

Bad Andy

Weak lemon drink?

Are you...

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHDCSIJiWCM" target="_blank">Simon Quinlank?

Radbacker

dont worry about mold just watch out for THE ANTS!!!

CU Radbacker

DavidXBrunt

The trickis to let it dry but at the correct speed. Leave it somewhere warm but not too hot. If you can seperate the pages with a tissue whilst drying so much the better.

House of Usher

If it dries out you don't need to worry about mould. That's only a problem if the book continues to be stored in damp conditions.

I have a couple of hardback AD&D rulebooks in my library that had the tell-tale vinegary odour of mildew when I acquired them second-hand. There's one bottom shelf that gets a humid breeze which comes up through the floorboards, straight in from a vent under the house that leads in from the garden. If I keep those particular books on the particular shelf they get enough moisture for the mildew to become active and need wiping off, so I had to move them somewhere else.
STRIKE !!!

Byron Virgo

ThryllSeekyr

Oh, I remember that old thread.

It was only the cover that got wet. The moisture did n't even sinkinto it before I patted it off with my shirt. None of thepages got wet.

But...

Now I'm thinking, lemon squash. Isn't that a weak acid?

Citric.

Thats not good to know.

Though I got funny feeling it's under control, now. There's no apparent damage or stickiness.

This is only testiment to the durabliliy of the type of paper or cardbord used in lot of the speical Sci/Fi editions in the early ninties.

I'm not sure if any of the current progs, and speicals could stand up to the same punishment.

As far as my storing methosd go, well. They are all in my room. Some are stored high and some low. As I never open the window..., I reckon that they would be safe from any drafts.

Adrian Bamforth

I was talking to a Scottish gentleman recently about a storyboard he needed drawing up and he had just that morning dropped a haggis onto his computer keyboard and as a result deleted all his work.

Noisybast

Heh heh heh. You beat me to it, Bad Andy! :)http://www.fistoffun.net/images/fistoffuncaps/series2/04quinlank.gif">
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Roger Godpleton

I spilt Weetos milk onto my carpet and it's never been the same.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Roger Godpleton

I spilt Weetos milk onto my carpet and it's never been the same.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Peter Wolf

People used to think that if their records got mouldy as in the vinyl then the mould etched itself onto the vinyl and the vinyl was ruined.

What a lot of rubbish.How can mildew etch vinyl ?

It cant unless it actually attacks it which it doesnt because it washes off in warm soapy leaving no trace.

I have found that if the book or whatever that is mouldy dries out then a lot of it just brushes off.

"As I never open the window..., I reckon that they would be safe from any drafts."

Why not open your window and get some fresh air in your room ? Its a good way to get rid of damp in your room and everything else.Its unhealthy to never open your window as well.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Satanist

"I spilt Weetos milk onto my carpet and it's never been the same."

Is this some kind of euphemism?
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

House of Usher

Thryllseekyr: open your window! Let some fresh air in. Okay, not for two long, because you live in Australia and naturally you don't want funnel-web spiders or 'poisonous ants' getting in.

Peterwolf: Yep, what you said about vinyl. In the '70s it was commonplace to have vinyl spread out on the floor around the record player at parties, and beer would often end up getting spilled on those LPs. My uncle Paul gave me a great tip for rescuing grimed-up vinyl - you simply wash it up it the sink with a non-abrasive cloth and lukewarm washing-up water. When I used to buy records from charity shops I occasionally has a draining rack full of LPs and 45s.
STRIKE !!!

Noisybast

Yep. I did that when the guy in my local guitar emporium gave me a stack of old Black Sabbath and Deep Purple LPs. Played a treat after a wash. What a nice man...
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!