Main Menu

Meg 292 - Xmas in Exile

Started by I, Cosh, 05 December, 2009, 01:42:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolt-01

James Stacey

You can tell he is deadly serious. He didn't say 'cheers'

locustsofdeath!

A pretty good Meg this month! Nothing amazing, but the best in a while.

Dredd: Liked this one. Not the best Christmas tale, but very entertaining with some good art.

Note: the ad for issue 2010 looks wonderful - can't wait!

Interrogation: A nice read, very informative. I especially found Ridgeway's views on Twoth to be interesting.

Tank Girl. Go. Away. Just disappear, vanish, evaporate, begone, blast off, ect...

Dreddline: How much did Rebellion pay John Doolan to write "...it's a shame you feel the need for (the graphic novels) to justify the cover price. The Meg is worth it anyway."?

Interrogation 2: Neil Gaiman is a tool. Loved his Sandman stuff. Everything else is tomfoolery, or, er, toolfoolery.

Tempest: Okay. Will give it another go.

You Should Be Reading: A nice little write-up. Won't seek out the Daredevil volumes, but a goddamn well-done blurb nevertheless.

New Comics: Loving 'Victorian Undead'.

New Movies: See Tank Girl.

Dredd: Nice to see Dredd in black & white again!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: locustsoflove on 09 December, 2009, 07:02:28 PM

Won't seek out the Daredevil volumes, but a goddamn well-done blurb nevertheless.

You should absolutely get the David Mazzucchelli stuff -- every page the man draws is just a masterclass in comic storytelling.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

I, Cosh

Quote from: His Lordship rac on 07 December, 2009, 08:14:07 PM
QuoteI was initially surprised that he'd toned down his usual penchant for purples and greens until I saw the muted colouring on the strip was handled by someone else.
No it wasn't! It was done by John and Sally like always.
Ah. That's me showing my ignorance. I took JH & SJ Hurst to be some sort of colouring brothers. Like the Wachowskis, maybe.
We never really die.

Mike Gloady

The first of the "lost cases" was a surprise for me - a recent Alan Grant Dredd that wasn't terrible.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

radiator

Another great Meg!

The lead Dredd strip was very good, tough I found it a little meandering in parts. Though it was nice to see how Giant is holding up I felt it would have had more impact by just focusing on the sniper's tale. It has to be said that John Higgins is probably one of my least favourite 2000ad artists - perfectly good art and storytelling, but I just don't really get on with his style, and especially his colouring.

Tempest was great fun and put a smile on my face - as other have said, Davis Hunt's art has really improved since the last series. In the past, frankly I thought his work hasn't been up to professional standard - but this is a big jump in quality.

Tank Girl was enjoyable nonsense as always, and the art was gorgeous - would still love to see Rufus on Dredd again, though!

The Lost Cases was pretty good stuff, and the first Alan Grant material I've enjoyed in ages. Nick Dyer's art was a treat as ever, even better than usual now that he seems to have kicked his penchant for manga-esque oversized eyes. Look forward to seeing more of these.

Reprint was a welcome choice, and something I'm happy to have in my collection again, and the text articles are something I'll skim read over the month.

mygrimmbrother

I genuinely thought it was a different artist on Tempest this time - find it really interesting when an artist's style develops so much in between strips. Liked the art on the first run of Tempest, loving it now too.

Xmas Dredd was great, fantastically downbeat stuff from Ewing, and Higgins & co-conspirator showed some restraint on the colours which is nice.

Lost Tales - loved it, had a real old-school dredd feel to it. Nick Dyer is one of my favourite new artists, it was in B&W and it had a heart-warming tribute to the great Cam in it too.

Tank Girl - haven't read it. 

amberkraken

pretty good Meg.
Still haven't finished it yet. It's one I always pick up now and then.
I have no idea who tempest is, so didn't 'get'  much of the second half, but the first have was loads of fun.
Dredd was good (both strips), and Tank Girl I like (please don't hate me!)

I am annoyed at myself though, as I read the John Ridgway interrogation which has spoilt who 'dead man' is (a story I'm currently reading in a bunch of old progs I got given! Bah!

And as someone else mentioned, who gives the 'you should be reading' column to someone who clearly doesn't like Frank Miller?  Ed Berridge might well have just written 'Frank Miller's run on Daredevil is a classic. But he's shit.'

Haven't read the bagged Rogue yet, but I think I've started reading it recently (it's in the same progs as 'dead man'), I wasn't a fan. It had none of the normal humour or characters (if it's what I'm thinking it to be.) that I love about Rogue. It's basically 'war is shit' thumped into your face for six pages at a time.

Richmond Clements

QuoteEd Berridge might well have just written 'Frank Miller's run on Daredevil is a classic. But he's shit

And the problem with that is..?

I may be wrong, but you seem to be complaining that an opinion column contains an opinion you disagree with..?

Mike Gloady

When I picked up  meg I saw the owner putting copies of Tank Girl on the shelf.  Felt like picking it up as I'd already paid for it, but didn't.  Didn't read it the first time, won't read it now.  Yawn.  Is there ANY HOPE at all of this being dropped any time soon?
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

TordelBack

Mmmm, nice.

War Machine was as good as I remember, although it takes a while to get your eye into the art at the slightly reduced size.  When you do though, it's magic stuff.

Dredd was fabulous, understated and evocative.  I just re-read the early episodes of The Judge Child with the Texas City Mutie Clearances, which impede Dredd's pursuit of the Angel Gang.  I notice that Dredd never once agrees with the TC Judges when they enthuse about catching up with MC-1 in this regard, a nice backwards resonance I hadn't noted before.

Tank Girl seemed to be going somewhere plotwise and then ended on a sour note with a poor one-liner. Pretty pictures, though.

Lost Cases.  Hmmm.  Nice art, Grant's best script in some time.  I'd always imagined Chop as John's character, but this is as decent a treatment as he's had since Supersurf 10.  Still felt like slightly pointless stuff, but by no means the disaster I'd been fearing. 

Tempest.  Wow, there's an artist who's upped his already pretty good game.  Interesting start, undermined a bit the recent glut of psycho pandas in the Meg.  Let's hope Al can rescue Deathfist from the daft supernatural corner he was written into last time.

Articles were fun, good interview with Ridgeway, and a nice soft poke at Miller. 

TordelBack

Almost forgot:  what are the odds that there are two 2000AD artists called Simon Coleby?   :-*

SmallBlueThing

Quickly:

A nice, worthwhile Meg. Good Dredds, good Tempest, excellent interview with John Ridgway- including a "nice fact" about his "mistreatment" at the hands of Panini and the recent DWM editors/ collections. More fuel to my (f)ire.

Also the opportunity to shout "TWAT!" at the page and fume about Neil bloody Gaiman- what more could a boy want?

Haven't read the Rogue thing yet- and had forgotten all about it, actually. One to stuff in my overnight bag for this weekend of Nights. And a poster! That was odd. I wonder why.

But better than it has been of late. Here's hoping we're on the up.

SBT

nomohican

Very enjoyable Meg this month. Especially enjoyed Al Ewing's Dredd. I especially liked how [spoiler]Judge Bennett, who has featured in a lot of Al's Dredds, has been demoted to meat wagon duty. It seems like the sort of petty and vindictive thing Sinfield would do.[/spoiler]
Well, maybe that fish has a wife and family too. Did anyone think of that?
I mean, I don't think I've got the right to kill someone's daddy, do I? Even if it is a fish.

Zombo