Main Menu

Doctor Who - The Day of The Doctor - 50th Special.

Started by Goaty, 11 September, 2013, 09:17:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Dudley

Quote from: Goaty on 14 November, 2013, 04:05:56 PM

Also it his birthday today! Happy birthday [Spoiler]!

So, we can be sure Ecclestone will appear at the end as well.

James Stacey

Quote from: Dudley on 14 November, 2013, 09:44:40 PM
Quote from: Goaty on 14 November, 2013, 04:05:56 PM

Also it his birthday today! Happy birthday [Spoiler]!

So, we can be sure Ecclestone will appear at the end as well.
I still reckon he will be

shaolin_monkey

Wow, it's such a great time to be a Who fan!  We're being utterly spoilt rotten at the moment!!

Goaty

Anyone notice the pun?

[spoiler]After he been give potion, "Will it hurt?" [/spoiler]

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Goaty on 15 November, 2013, 09:24:21 AM

Anyone notice the pun?

[spoiler]After he been give potion, "Will it hurt?" [/spoiler]

Brilliant!!!  Well spotted! 

I personally loved the quote [spoiler] 'Physician, heal thyself'.  [/spoiler]So apt!  I think that's a biblical reference..?  Not sure.

EDIT: [spoiler] yes it is:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physician,_heal_thyself
It refers to sorting out your own house before sorting out anyone else's.  This is particularly apt for a rogue Timelord who is sorting out everyone else's problems, but has so far avoided joining in a war of his own people. [/spoiler]

shaolin_monkey

Bah, spoiler tags not working - meant to block out the whole bottom para - sorry mods!

TordelBack

In a fit of post-Masterchef lethargy I watched the Brain Coxtravangaza Physics of Dr. Who lecture-thing. 

What a mess.  Some lovely framing segments with Matt 'Not That One' Smith in the TARDIS (especially good gag about the Silence), but a bit of a hames of an editing job accentuated problems with the subject matter: the concluding part of the lecture was spliced into the middle, leaving references to ideas from earlier/later parts hanging painfully.  An audience of alleged celebrities meant we were treated to lingering gormless reaction shots of ex-CBBC presenters, and the wide scope of the lecture meant that no one idea was developed beyond a protracted celeb-assisted 'experiment' and some timey-wimey breathlessness.  Who was this aimed at?  Disjointed structure surely left it surging over the heads of the younger Dr. Who fans (and it was on after 9 on a school-night), and probably too insubstantial for anyone with an interest in the physics.

Tut-tut Brian, best leave the themed science-circuses to Dara and the Royal Institute format to the Christmas Lectures: back to the Altiplano/Death Valley/Antarctic with you and your floppy hair. (Still love you - call me, we'll get a coffee)

And on that note, roll on the RI Christmas Lectures, one of my favouritest things about the season.

James Stacey

Dandontdare

Quote from: Bat King on 10 November, 2013, 07:08:02 PM
I'm booked for a 21:00 screening in Leeds. :)

It is Thought Bubble same weekend... So I am missing the TB party to see this...

Hadn't occurred to me that it's on at Thought Bubble weekend - anyone know if there'll be  screening at the con? If not I normally catch the repeat or watch on i-player but given the cashing in they seem to be doing with cinemas and DVDs, I wonder if this will be restricted?

EDIT: Panic over - it's repeated on BBC3 on the Sunday.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: TordelBack on 15 November, 2013, 11:35:27 AM
In a fit of post-Masterchef lethargy I watched the Brain Coxtravangaza Physics of Dr. Who lecture-thing. 

What a mess.  Some lovely framing segments with Matt 'Not That One' Smith in the TARDIS (especially good gag about the Silence)...

All true - still enjoyed it though.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 15 November, 2013, 12:18:14 PM

What a mess.  Some lovely framing segments with Matt 'Not That One' Smith in the TARDIS (especially good gag about the Silence)...

Same - there wasn't anything in there I didn't know already (except the theorems themselves), but it was nice gentle Who related telly, so I ain't complaining. 

I'm sure some of it would be interesting for those encountering those theories for the first time.  Also, while I have always been aware of the dilation effect the closer you get to a black hole, it was nice to see it plotted so neatly and visually.

I still love the fact that Brian May wrote a beautiful folk song about the curvature of space/time for 'A Night at the Opera'.   :D

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Dandontdare on 15 November, 2013, 12:10:04 PM
Quote from: Bat King on 10 November, 2013, 07:08:02 PM
I'm booked for a 21:00 screening in Leeds. :)

It is Thought Bubble same weekend... So I am missing the TB party to see this...

Hadn't occurred to me that it's on at Thought Bubble weekend - anyone know if there'll be  screening at the con? If not I normally catch the repeat or watch on i-player but given the cashing in they seem to be doing with cinemas and DVDs, I wonder if this will be restricted?

EDIT: Panic over - it's repeated on BBC3 on the Sunday.

You think any bars around the con would show it in the way they'd normally show the footie. I can picture hordes of nerds trooping around the area looking for a pub with the smarts to show it... I'll hopefully be among them!

Recrewt

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 15 November, 2013, 12:24:28 PM

Same - there wasn't anything in there I didn't know already (except the theorems themselves), but it was nice gentle Who related telly, so I ain't complaining. 

I'm sure some of it would be interesting for those encountering those theories for the first time.  Also, while I have always been aware of the dilation effect the closer you get to a black hole, it was nice to see it plotted so neatly and visually.

Yeah, I caught this last night too.  I agree that it did seem the target audience was a bit odd.  You would have thought this would have been on a little earlier and that the audience would be more juves, like the christmas lectures.

I did enjoy it though and was laughing at Rufus Hound slowly heading towards the black hole with the clock on his back.  :lol:

TordelBack

Well yes, me too.  :-[