Main Menu

Movies you haven't seen?

Started by Apestrife, 20 October, 2019, 10:01:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apestrife

As the title suggets. Any movies you haven't seen --but should?

I'll go first... Back to the future :-[

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Apestrife on 20 October, 2019, 10:01:40 AM
As the title suggets. Any movies you haven't seen --but should?

I'll go first... Back to the future :-[

I read the title of the thread and was about to post the exact same movie. Oddly I know the plot from start to finish, thanks to a little booklet that came free with Weetabix.

It hardly seems worth watching now as an adult; it's something that would have amazed me as a kid but I can't be arsed now.

I also haven't seen any of the Avengers films; I just can't seem to bring myself to care about Marvel characters.  Thing is, I know they're better than the Snyder DC films, and I've seen all of them.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JamesC

I've never seen any of the Godfather films.
I don't generally enjoy mafia films, so I'll probably never bother.

Greg M.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off. It seems to be a generational touchstone for many of my friends, and I've seen a lot of the John Hughes films before and after, but that particular one passed me by.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Greg M. on 20 October, 2019, 12:21:51 PM
Ferris Bueller's Day Off. It seems to be a generational touchstone for many of my friends, and I've seen a lot of the John Hughes films before and after, but that particular one passed me by.

Me too, now you mention it. Again seems like something the younger me would have liked a lot but not the present me.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Frank

Quote from: JamesC on 20 October, 2019, 12:12:23 PM
I've never seen any of the Godfather films. I don't generally enjoy mafia films, so I'll probably never bother.

Yeah, but what about stuff that's right in your wheelhouse?

As a nerd, I've known I should see Metropolis since I was eight. I've watched (and loved) Things To Come, Nosferatu and M, so none of those formats* are a problem for me.

I've watched the start of Metropolis a few times, but because it's a black and white, subtitled film from the twenties, BBC2 always stuck it on late at night and I dozed off.

That's no excuse now. It's on Youtube, but I'm typing this instead of watching it.

* Monochrome, sci-fi, silent

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 20 October, 2019, 12:01:21 PM
It hardly seems worth watching now as an adult; it's something that would have amazed me as a kid but I can't be arsed now.

I re-watched BttF on the big screen when they re-released it for the 30th anniversary, having not seen it in many years. Honestly, it's great. From its long opening shot that loads up so much information, to the realisation that "Ostracised scientist illegally acquires nuclear material for his unauthorised time travel experiments and falls foul of the terrorists who sold it to him" would have made an entire movie in 2019 but is the first ten minutes of this film and serves only to get you to the actual plot...it's brilliantly made, the plot advances relentlessly but entirely logically (within its own terms!) and the performances are universally great.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Greg M.

The Princess Bride. I mean, I've seen a few clips, but I've never managed to make it much past the framing sequence in which Grant Goggans tells bedtime stories to Kevin Arnold. I think I may even have bought the DVD and I still haven't watched it.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 20 October, 2019, 12:46:58 PM

I re-watched BttF on the big screen when they re-released it for the 30th anniversary, having not seen it in many years. Honestly, it's great. From its long opening shot that loads up so much information, to the realisation that "Ostracised scientist illegally acquires nuclear material for his unauthorised time travel experiments and falls foul of the terrorists who sold it to him" would have made an entire movie in 2019 but is the first ten minutes of this film and serves only to get you to the actual plot...it's brilliantly made, the plot advances relentlessly but entirely logically (within its own terms!) and the performances are universally great.

Hmmmm... maybe it's not too late.

I, Cosh

That Ingmar Bergman one with the dinosaurs.
We never really die.

TordelBack

Quote from: JamesC on 20 October, 2019, 12:12:23 PM
I've never seen any of the Godfather films.

Me neither. People think I'm insane when I tell them. Also, Reservoir Dogs, It's a Wonderful Life, neither Paddington, the Dark Knight(s), Inception and Interstellar.

Jayzus should definitely give BttF (all three!) a go. Although on a recent rewatch I found the way the attempted rape was presented quite disturbing and unnecessarily protracted. See also: Robin Hood Prince of Thieves (but if you haven't, please don't).

broodblik

Taxi Driver , Raging Bull and all the Godfathers after version 1
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Funt Solo

The Godfather movies aren't gangster movies so much as they're just two of the best movies ever made: they're the reason why cinema. The second one is a little harder to follow than the first (mostly the intertwined modern era section), but as cinematic art there's nothing to beat them (although I leave the door open for other movies to match their quality).

But I'm sure you've heard all that before.

I should really get around to Isle of Dogs and The Little Prince.

---

QuoteAlso, Reservoir Dogs, It's a Wonderful Life, neither Paddington, the Dark Knight(s), Inception and Interstellar.
The only one in that list that perhaps harms your cinematic curriculum vitae by its omission is It's A Wonderful Life. Whether you read it as powerful moral fable or conservative manifesto, well: how many movies even bring up that question? (Not to dis the others - they each have their own cultural significance.)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Colin YNWA

I also haven't seen any of the Avengers films; I just can't seem to bring myself to care about Marvel characters.  Thing is, I know they're better than the Snyder DC films, and I've seen all of them.

After the first one neither have I (not that I thought the first one was bad I should say it was fine) nor Guardians of the Galaxy etc etc.

Quote from: TordelBack on 20 October, 2019, 03:08:15 PM
... Inception and Interstellar....

There's new films like this that don't even register on my list of films - as nerds - we expected to see. This worries me even more.

Also how hard is everyone else having to bite their lips to not scream NNNNOOOOO!!!! Watch it - at some folks. It would defeat the purpose (as I see it) of this thread to start doing that but HOT DAMN its tricky!

Funt Solo

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 20 October, 2019, 03:43:41 PM
Also how hard is everyone else having to bite their lips to not scream NNNNOOOOO!!!! Watch it - at some folks. It would defeat the purpose (as I see it) of this thread to start doing that but HOT DAMN its tricky!

Too late for me, Colin: but at least I mashed it up with some confessions of my own. Metropolis is one I've also tried at and failed to sit through. (And I managed Nosferatu!)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++