Main Menu

Things you forgot: Nemesis by Shreikback

Started by davidbishop, 06 April, 2021, 01:28:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidbishop

Props to the comment on YouTube calling this the Goth Macarena!

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: davidbishop on 06 April, 2021, 01:28:53 PM
Props to the comment on YouTube calling this the Goth Macarena!

I spotted that alright - it's not often I feel glad I read the comments!  I didn't know about this at the time, but found out about it through the board (most likely the goth contingent, aka Jim Campbell).  Was that Tony Luke's model Nemesis?  I know it was used in another music video.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 06 April, 2021, 02:24:57 PM
I didn't know about this at the time, but found out about it through the board (most likely the goth contingent, aka Jim Campbell).

I have mentioned it in the past, although I remain vaguely baffled by the contention that Shriekback are/were a goth band. The album this is from — Oil and Gold — is great, but oddly schizophrenic. If you've seen the film 'Manhunter' then you've heard about half of it... all the ethereal pan-pipey stuff on the soundtrack is from Oil and Gold.

The rest is stuff like the aforementioned 'Nemesis' or the splendidly loopy Hammerheads, which scores bonus points for the line "This is our mission: to be the Daleks of God."
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Is it not a proud Goth band tradition to deny they are/were a Goth band?
You may quote me on that.

Dandontdare

Speaking of which, wanna see a group of bats at the Goth club? (put sound on)
https://imgur.com/gallery/M9VKOTa

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Mister Pops on 06 April, 2021, 05:24:36 PM

That's the thing — bands don't get to decide, goths decide! All I know is that in about fifteen fairly active years in the gothic scene, I never heard 'em played at a single club night, nor saw them listed on DJ's playlists that got posted to online forums/newsgroups.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 06 April, 2021, 07:11:31 PM
Quote from: Mister Pops on 06 April, 2021, 05:24:36 PM

That's the thing — bands don't get to decide, goths decide! All I know is that in about fifteen fairly active years in the gothic scene, I never heard 'em played at a single club night, nor saw them listed on DJ's playlists that got posted to online forums/newsgroups.

Fair enough... Was a wee bit gothy myself but only really scratched the surface.  I hopped around a few scenes and never really found my own one. 

EDIT - But I do know it wasn't Britpop.

EDIT 2 - So which video had the Tony Luke models then?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"