Main Menu

Forum’s Fav Thrill - Strontium Dog vs. Absalom Rd 3 Heat 53

Started by Colin YNWA, 22 June, 2022, 06:03:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Round 3 heads towards its conclusion and things aren't getting any easier. It's time to start thinking about how hard Round 4 is gonna be cos lets face it as we near having just 64 thrills left we know they are all (well almost all) gonna be beauties and the tough ties we see this week will be the regular head scratchers in a couple of weeks time. Arh remember how easy Round 2 was!

Well each Round some poor Thrill has to draw the tourney favourite. Last time it was Angel Gang and this time it's Absalom. An immensely popular series, nicely contained and finished now so it makes for a satisfying complete read. As such it was able to relatively easily see off even a great thrill like Atavar. But if we're honest this tie is more about seeing how well Strontium Dog does against a thrill of this quality as it surely prepares itself for even tougher challenges ahead... or are we heading towards the upset of the century?

Strontium Dog - more info

Vs

Absalom - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Saturday 25th June and the winner gets a place in Round 4 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN

broodblik

Although I rate Absalom very high it is competing against a top 5 thrill so yes Strontium Dog
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Aaron A Aardvark

I like everything about Absolam. Characters, story, art, humour. SD has had its ups and downs but in terms of world building it's sheer genius.

Strontium Dog

abelardsnazz

Absalom was great but up against the tremendous body of work that is SD it's unfortunate that Harry has to go.

Strontium Dog.

rogue69

IndigoPrime

Same: Absalom is great through its entire run and arguably more consistent than Strontium Dog (not least some of the reboot arcs). But Strontium Dog includes some of my favourite 2000 AD work at all. So I'm going with Alpha, although not by a very wide margin.

Barrington Boots

You're a dark horse, Boots.

Trooper McFad

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

AlexF

sintec

Shame to see another part of the Cabs world go down but much as I love it (and would tend to argue this is the strongest series in the CabsVerse) it's tough to vote against Strontium Dog

Proudhuff

Johnnie' and Wulf are a wonderful couple, But I've always felt it should have stopped after the uprising.

Absalom for me, nicely dark and a great lead, fabby art too. A bit more this century SD seems a bit dated now.
DDT did a job on me

Funt Solo

Strontium Dog, hands down, no contest. A lot of people have a cut-off point somewhere along the line, but ... you know, it's in the top five. It's sad that it's been replaced by Skip Tracer.

Absalom does have great art, and it's well told. I find it difficult to root for the central character, but wherever you stand on that point, it's not in the top five.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++