Main Menu

THE RISE AND FALL OF THE TRIGAN EMPIRE VOLUME 5 and 6 ??

Started by 73north, 23 July, 2022, 10:33:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

73north

Is there any news when the next instalment of the Trigan Empire comes out - eg Volume 5 ?
as with Volume 4 being published in 3 weeks time , there will be a glaring gap .

The fourth omnibus of the science-fiction classic, The Rise and Fall of the Trigan Empire, collects the stories published from 1973 through to 1976..
However 1976 , was when I started reading Look and Learn - and above all
as there are the years 1976 to 1982 still to be covered , when Look and Learn was closed down ending the strip .The series ran in Look and Learn until the title ceased publication with issue #1049, in April 1982

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: 73north on 23 July, 2022, 10:33:50 AM
Is there any news when the next instalment of the Trigan Empire comes out - eg Volume 5 ?
as with Volume 4 being published in 3 weeks time , there will be a glaring gap .

You've sort of answered your own question here - with volume 4 not even out yet, I'd wait a while to hear news of volume 5.
@jamesfeistdraws

The Corinthian

I have a vague memory that the series was initially announced as a four volume collection of the Don Lawrence strips rather the complete strip. Obviously that's not going to be the case - judging by the contents list for volume 4 it's going to take one further book before we're up to the end of Lawrence's run and then Tharg knows how many books to reach 1982.

73north

I spotted tonight , the 4th Volume has been pushed back to Wednesday 21st of September 2022

from 17th August 2022 ( when I am on holiday for 2 weeks and was looking forward to it )

must be supply chain problems !!

IndigoPrime

Lack of paper, most likely. It's an industry-wide problem.

73north

message found today in my e-mail box

----------------------
Dear valued customer,
We're writing to you as you ordered one or more copies of The Rise and Fall of the Trigan Empire Volume IV.

Unfortunately due to further printing and import delays we have had to push back the publication date for The Rise and Fall of the Trigan Empire Volume IV by at least another month, it's possible this may still need be revised, but we will update you as soon as we know more.
The current (provisional) date for release is now 21st September 2022.

Best wishes,
Ben Smith
Head of Rebellion Books, Comic Books, Film & TV

73north

Sad news that the Hardback Book won't be released till Wednesday 26th of October 2022 .

Gutted , this is the second or third delay to an eagerly awaited must-have release ( for me ) .

73north

Just an update that the Exclusive Hardback Edition is now sold out for Volume 4
but also good news !
I received official acknowledgement that the  Trigan Empire up to 1982 and the demise
of Look at Learn will be covered in future Volumes .

" The plan ( is ) we want to continue past Don Lawrence era Trigan. "

So that means until Look and Learn folded with issue 1049, dated 17 April 1982.
( due to rising production costs and falling sales )

IndigoPrime

Did Oli Frey's stuff get reached yet? (He sadly died recently after a very short stint of horribly aggressive cancer.)

73north

update - I have received my Hardback Edition ( Number 29 of 400 - all sold out before publication ) of
The Trigan Empire Volume 4 . This is the last book (1/2 of the Volume 4 is of the art of Don Lawrence ) that will feature the artist Don Lawrence and frankly his art is far better than both other artists the 1st Artist Miguel Quesada is pretty poor , the next artist Philip Corke is a bit better .
I am very glad I bought this as the story of the Trigan Empire series continues .
I remember this from Look and Learn in 1977 -
I look forward to Volume 5 as that was when I first read the art by Oliver Frey in Issue 801 in Look and Learn .
The reproduction is fantastic quality - really clear. The original artwork by Lawrence is stunning, It's such an awesome fantasy world - an old-fashioned Science Fiction version of Ancient Rome or Greece.
Frankly Oliver Frey will be better than the two replacement artists that replaced Don Lawrence ( who left over copyright issues and money when his artwork was sold abroad without his knowledge or any compensation )

The Corinthian

Quote from: 73north on 30 October, 2022, 08:34:30 PM
update - I have received my Hardback Edition ( Number 29 of 400 - all sold out before publication ) of
The Trigan Empire Volume 4 . This is the last book (1/2 of the Volume 4 is of the art of Don Lawrence ) that will feature the artist Don Lawrence

Not quite. Lawrence returned for another stint of about 14 months immediately after the strips collected in this volume, so Book V should complete his run.

73north

Quote from: The Corinthian on 26 November, 2022, 11:03:14 AM
Quote from: 73north on 30 October, 2022, 08:34:30 PM
The Trigan Empire Volume 4 . This is the last book (1/2 of the Volume 4 is of the art of Don Lawrence ) that will feature the artist Don Lawrence

Not quite. Lawrence returned for another stint of about 14 months immediately after the strips collected in this volume, so Book V should complete his run.
unaware of that , I read Look and Learn until 1981 or 1982
The quality difference between the 2 Artists and Lawrence was really striking ...

Dash Decent

Quote from: 73north on 23 July, 2022, 10:33:50 AMIs there any news when the next instalment of the Trigan Empire comes out - eg Volume 5 ?

Volume V, with Oli Frey artwork, now scheduled for October 2023: Click!
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

73north

great news - hopefully 2000AD update the Treasury of British Comics website section
and offer the deluxe limited edition hardback for pre-sale !

I can't wait to pre-order !

glad my asking repeatedly when Volume 5 was being released , bore fruit ...

now when does Volume 6 come out ? in early 2024 ??