Main Menu

Writing - What else should I be doing?

Started by Pauul, 23 October, 2010, 09:30:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pauul

Okay, I'm an aspiring writer and I really want to break into the creative industry. I love comics and so I've decided to focus on them over the next few months, rather than on other mediums.

I studied Screenwriting for four years at university, three as an undergraduate and one as a postgraduate. I was even lucky enough to attend a masterclass given by Mark Millar at Screen Academy Scotland.

I have written numerous comic book scripts, sending one off to 2000AD at the end of June and sharing the others with artists so that I can work with them on preparing submissions for CLiNT.

But what else should I (and other wannabe writers) be doing to break in?

I know there are numerous fanzines and other small press publications out there, can anyone suggest which would be good to submit to?

And is there anything else I haven't thought of?

I'd appreciate any and all advice.

CrazyFoxMachine

Ahem.

As both a writer and artist I can attest to this -

WORK YOUR NADS OFF ON EVERYTHING. Even if it's destined to be liked by only you. Write everything you think down. EVERYTHING. Clip it to bits - hate it completely - put it everywhere you can. A blog, a writing forum, here - some bugger'll look at it.

I personally plan to submit a series to Radio 4

http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/writing/submissions.shtml

because that would be lush. Although I ain't no writer. Unless I am. Either way - every opportunity that is presented to you - every avenue you see - follow it. That includes this post. FOLLOW IT. Every writer I've ever admired or heard about got where they wanted through LUCK and HARD WORK. So do the latter and live in hope of the former.

Additionally - I'm putting together an anthology - why not submit to that? IT'S AN AVENUE - !

Leigh S

I'd imagine Future quake /something wicked would be a better call than the 2000AD related ones, if only cos (for 2000aD at least) its what you will be pitching.  That said, you might want to actually keep your best ideas for Tharg, so that might be a problem!

Have you considered just writing your own stuff, rather than submitting?  You dont ahve to publish it physically, you could do it via the web.  Course, you may need an artist to be as enthused as yourself to do that - trickier maybe, but would let you practice that all important "churning it out" process! :)

The Enigmatic Dr X

And if you do send something to Tharg, be patient and be prepared to wait. And wait. And wait. Until he says no.

I've sent five scripts in the last two years. Not because I don't write fast enough, but because the green bugger (a) takes many months (eight months, in one case) to reply; (b) doesn't like multiple submissions (both tend to get bounced). It's almost as if Tharg has better, established, people that he calls upon.
Lock up your spoons!

strontium_dog_90

I'd recommend entering competitions, too - there are entry fees on some of them, but it's worth it when you win, and looks pretty impressive on a writing CV, too.

Richmond Clements

Just write.
Write all the time. Even when you're not at the computer you should be writing in your head.
Absorb absolutely everything that you see and hear, because every bit of it will become useful at some point.
And write.

Proudhuff

then... write some more, there are some great links in the creative common threads about writing, so many you can spend all your time reading and none writing, luckly Rich has boiled it down to the basics in his post  :D
DDT did a job on me

Jared Katooie

You should definitely submit to the fanzines. I don't think any of them are bad choices. They're a good way to hone your writing skills and potentially attract attention to yourself. See: Al Ewing, Simon Spurrier.

Have a back-up plan.

Pauul

Well, I've tried sending off a script to FutureQuake so hopefully I'll hear something back. Anyone know of any other good small press/fanzines to submit to?

zombemybabynow

a little drugs, a little masturbation - all helps the creative juices flow
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

CrazyFoxMachine

I find cider an excellent fortification source

zombemybabynow

QuoteI find cider an excellent fortification source

maaan, my mind plays freudian tricks, thought you'd written at first look:- fornication source
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

Emperor

Quote from: Pauul on 05 November, 2010, 07:18:53 PM
Well, I've tried sending off a script to FutureQuake so hopefully I'll hear something back. Anyone know of any other good small press/fanzines to submit to?

See here:

http://www.2000adonline.com/forum/index.php/topic,26022.0.html
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: zombemybabynow on 05 November, 2010, 07:52:23 PM
QuoteI find cider an excellent fortification source

maaan, my mind plays freudian tricks, thought you'd written at first look:- fornication source

That too. TIS A LUBRICANT OF BOTH MIND AND BODY DOWN HERE IN THE SOUTH.