Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

An interesting article on what would happen to the BBC if Scotland becomes independent.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/reality-check-with-polly-curtis/2012/feb/29/how-would-the-bbc-be-divided-if-scotland-became-independent

Sounds like there are still a few things to work out. I'm surprised we haven't heard more about this actually.

Modern Panther

I used to have the greatest respect for the BBC.  Their political reporting of the last few days has been shocking. 

Here's Salmond comprehensively addressing issues raised by the BBC's Nick Robinson on the news that banks will move out of Scotland, broadcast live:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHb_pBFGNEQ

Here's Nick Robinson, in his report later, flat out lying and claiming Salmond avoided the issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zFr9q-eGGE#t=651

Official BBC response to complaints:
"The BBC considers that the questions were valid and the overall report balanced and impartial, in line with our editorial guidelines."

Steve Green

Yes, that is horseshit - it was edited to make it sound like he didn't answer at all, rather than not supplying a handy soundbite.

Frank

Mmm-yeah ... Robinson's not lying - Salmond didn't respond directly to the specific question of whether the public should listen to the him or the bosses of John Lewis and Tesco regarding their claim that consumer prices would rise in an independent Scotland (which is the question his news report showed Robinson posing).

Robinson certainly reported Salmond's entirely accurate response to the question of whether RBS and other financial institutions moving their head offices to London would result in a loss of revenue (it wouldn't), probably because Salmond's reply clearly illustrated that Robinson hadn't done even the most basic level of fact checking before posing that question.

When I arrange my dollies in a circle for a pretend Teddy Bear's Meeting of the BBC Board of Governors, the Mr Potato Head playing the role of Robinson is always the first for the chop. He only got the job because he's a Tory, and the BBC wants to avoid allegations of leftie bias in their news coverage from the likes of The Daily Mail.

Dog Deever

I couldn't give a bollocks about having anything of the BBC, tbh- no BBC, no licence fee. I'd be happy with it even as a paid channel option on digital TV- those who want it can stump up, those who don't bother with it will be able to stop subsidising something they don't use- seems entirely fair to me.
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

ZenArcade

I see a bunch of our local Neanderthals are heading over to Ecosse this weekend to march about and generally irritate the locals! Should garner a few more votes for the yes camp. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Proudhuff

Quote from: ZenArcade on 13 September, 2014, 07:12:45 AM
I see a bunch of our local Neanderthals are heading over to Ecosse this weekend to march about and generally irritate the locals! Should garner a few more votes for the yes camp. Z

sending them back now, thanks for the lend.  ;)
DDT did a job on me

ZenArcade

Aaah keep them for a wee while, aaah qwan, gwan, gwan.... Z

Dog Deever

Any chance they can take our homegrown knuckledraggers away with them?
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

8-Ball

For my sins, both my father and grandfather preferred the tangerine and white gloves look. Luckily for me I was never ask to join. Those people are doing their cause no favours. :(
Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: JamesC on 12 September, 2014, 02:03:15 PMAn interesting article on what would happen to the BBC if Scotland becomes independent.
A highlight:

QuoteThe SBC, in short, would have half the budget of BBC2 for television.
Oh dear.

Still, uncle Alex says Scotland will, for some reason he doesn't seem interested in explaining, retain a foreign country's telly (and not via a commercial deal, which is what happens in Ireland), just like it'll retain access to its currency, 'lender of last resort' option, sports facilities, etc. It's a very odd model of 'independence' being mooted right now...

ZenArcade

Ack don't be apologising 8 ball, my side of the fence and indeed relations have thrown up a right few nasty skeletons. The sins of the forefathers are thankfully not visited upon us....and for that I'm truely grateful. Z

IAMTHESYSTEM

I think Scotland will vote for independence on Thursday. I signed Dan Snow's bettertogether internet campaign thingy when it came to my E-Mail address last week but deep down I think it's virtually inevitable that the Union will be no more. We'll still call England and Wales the UK but it will be through habit rather than anything else.

Scotland has a chance to rid itself of Westminster for good. It can set it's own laws etc and yes there will be a period of financial pain and uncertainty but fifteen,twenty years from now it will seem worth it. The land of my birth will become it's own Country and a part of Europe while the land I was raised in will be withdrawing from the E.U completely. Bonkers eh?
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Dandontdare

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 13 September, 2014, 09:06:15 PM
Scotland has a chance to rid itself of Westminster for good. It can set it's own laws etc and yes there will be a period of financial pain and uncertainty but fifteen,twenty years from now it will seem worth it.

Aye, you will no longer be shat upon by an unaccountable political/business elite in Westminster, you'll just be shat upon by an unaccountable political/business elite in Holyrood. I suppose the shit will be a little warmer having less distance to travel, but apart from that I think it'll be 'meet the new boss, same as the old boss'.

And fifteen years from now the people responsible for the parliament building and the Edinburgh trams will probably have spunked all the oil money on something daft like a monorail to Skye and you'll be forced to sell the rest of the country to Donald Trump.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 13 September, 2014, 09:06:15 PM
We'll still call England and Wales the UK but it will be through habit rather than anything else.

...and Northern Ireland.